What material are the scale liners made of?

During a recent two week cold snap where it got very dry I noticed that the scales on my knife seemed to have shrunk. The tang was visibly higher than the scales. I always oil the whole knife, but I applied extra oil and now that the temp has returned to normal and the humidity is higher this difference in scale to tang fit has returned "closer" to normal. Still a bit off but not nearly as much.

The scales are stabilized wood with black liners. At first I thought that the wood was changing with temp/humidity but I got to thinking that maybe it is the liners? What are the liners made of and what is proper care and feeding?

I was thinking of waiting a week to see what happens and then hitting the high points of the tang with some 1500 grit to smooth it out. Good idea?

oh. Ok, I looked up vulcanized fiber. I guess it is just the combo of three different materials reacting differently to humidity and temp.

I guess I will just sand it. Anyone know of the best way to level up the tang with the scales to avoid screwing things up?

Last edited:
I'm sure Andy will answer pretty quickly, but I would leave it alone and let it settle out. ALL wood moves. It will likely move back. :)

yeah, it did get pretty dry. I was recharging the humidifiers in my guitar twice a day and my ears started peeling off my head.

Vulcanized fiber is cotton and some bonding agent. It may move. Start sanding at 220. Sand with the length. Move to scotchbrites. If you'd be more comfortable, I can do it.

Hey, thanks for the offer Andy! I will probably try myself but it never hurts to consult the pros.

Thanks for the tip, I probably would have sanded the wrong way!:eek:

wrap the blade in an old shirt and hold it in a vice if you have one. Then sand following the tang. Shouldnt take much to smooth out the steel and "soften" the feel :)

This is one reason I like micarta and G10 but man they dont feel like wood!!!

Back