What new slipjoint do I want?

I have collected Case for years and still do and a good mix of a few other brands but mainly Case is what I have. I've been toying with the notion of getting a new slipjoint (high-quality, but not too expensive or rare to carry) but something besides a Case and I really think I want a 4 Blade Congress. I've had good luck with Boker, but I don't have many, think I want to try something new though. I've been leaning toward Queen or Schatt and Morgan (are S&M really that good??) but am unsure, am I leaving any brand out I should be considering? Does Camillus make anything remotely fancy in a slip-joint?

Here's my take: Camillus quality can be hit-or-miss depending on the model; some are fantastic, some are real duds. S&M are really just overpriced Queen knives with a different marking; don't know if the quality is worth the premium price. Queen is in the middle - reasonably priced, and consistent quality.

If it were me, I'd go with the Queen brand.

Good Luck with your decision,
-Bob

I might lean toward the Queen also, but have found the S&M's a little better finished than Queens. The kicker is all that D2 edge in the 4 blade package of a congress for around 50 bucks is hard to beat.

Spydiefan04 said:
I have collected Case for years ....

....I've been leaning toward Queen or Schatt and Morgan (are S&M really that good??) but am unsure
Spydie.... I was in the same boat as you a few months back (as many folks will know, I have a pretty large Case collection too).....

Bastid just isn't at all wrong in suggesting a Queen D2 and you would love one, however, the Schatt & Morgan Congress is definitely a step up. Its one heck of a meaty knife at $84.00 ... this particular one is a 420HC, but there's an equivalent one in ATS-34, and there, the differences really start to kick in with great value.

1-schatt-open.jpg

1-schatt.jpg

I have a modest collection of Congress pattern knives - perhaps a couple dozen of them. The best fit and finish of the entire group is the File & Wire S&M Congress with ATS-34 blades. I consider it my best Congress and that includes all the vintage ones in the collection. I have two of them so that I can carry one. You can still find them on Ebay. It is a large and heavy Congress but it has hard stainless blades and really excellent fit and finish. Expect to pay between $75 and $100 for one.

There are also some nice German Congress knives with carbon steel blades that will make great carry knives. I like and own the Schlieper German Eye stag congress which is a current model. Boker, since you like them, has some carbon steel bladed congress knives as well. They would serve you well as an EDC.

Queen gets my vote, if you don't mind older blades check out ebay for some old Queen Winterbottom Bone Knives from the 70's, or if you can find them look for some of the older ones from the 40's and 50's.

They're available for a reasonable price.

Don't forget Bulldog brand, they make a nice knife, usually with a nice variety of natural scale materials. Also, Mooremaker has some nice congress models made by Queen with 1095 instead of D2 if you prefer that steel. Happy shopping !

I was part of a passaround that had a queen 4 blade congress, and that knife still sticks out in my mind-you can read the review in the passaround forum. It is a great knife.

Thanks a lot guys, I got another question. Are all Schatt and Morgans File and Wire knives a limited run collectible or a standard run knife, do they make standard run knives with no collector value or difficulty to find in the future? Reallly like the looks of that S&M with ATS-34.

A "standard" Shatt and Morgan is a Queen. Shatt and Morgan is just a Queen brand. They use name on "collectibles" and the knives are usually higher priced, higher level of finish, different steel (not always), etch, bolsters but the basic patterns are similar if not the same as a Queen "regular".

The older Queen made Winchesters get my vote, especially if you don't mind working eBay.

I have owned 15-20 and they have all been of very good quality with excellent fit and finish. If you are patient and do your shopping they are the best value going IMO on older slips.

Older Kabar's are also excellent and can be had for a good price on "the bay".

If you want new production I would follow the others and go with Queen or Schatt.

I'm not a big fan of Congress styles but here's a couple of pieces... (all but one from eBay and were won for between $25 and $58)

Kabar:

attachment.php

Winchester:

attachment.php

Back