What other Knives AREN'T available -or- What kind of knives should the Kamis make?

How about a BIG kitchen/meat cleaver style knife? I am always looking at antique stores, flea markets, garage sales for large meat style cutting tools.

I was thinking of a two handed beast, with a large heavy blade to chop thru bones. A standard chinese cleaver is too light, and all the other meat cleavers I have seen are a bit heavier, but I am looking something with total weight range of about 5-6 lbs.

I know you guys are LYAO, but I would like to see some big cleaver style two handed choppers. I haven't tried a std khukuri yet on large game - I know the handles are too slippery made out of horn when you get lard/fat all over your hands from processing large pieces of meat.

I love fixed blade skinners, so I like Blackdogs ideas on those. A BIG belly is needed.
smile.gif

Ray 'md2020'

Craig,

If GH really wants to expand their skills into a non-khukuri product line, then they should consider trying their hand at some Sandata (weapons of the Philippines).

I originally bought a khukuri because there aren't many sources of Philippine style knives and short swords. You pretty much have tourist crap or antiques to choose from. I would think that with all the people who practice filipino martial arts, you'd be able to sell a lot of merchandise if you could come up with a line of "using quality" bolos, barong, kris, knives, etc for a reasonable price.

We can discuss this in more detail if you think you'd like to persue something like this. If not, maybe I'll just save up some money and then see if you guys could special make something for me.

Thanks.

Dave.

I personally think the work is to continue seeking the most excellent quality Khukris.
You have a limitless area of variations that is possible. As to the east meets west thought, a full tang would be my choice and a moderate grip swell at the front. To be careful of not spoiling the perfect lines of the design. I would like to see possibly a limited number of Dress knives and scabbards made for formal wear with full eating utensils compartmented in the scabbard.
Dave had a good idea if you want to branch out to different designs with the Philino blades, Also the Kyber knife and Jambia. These are all good ideas.

Remember that everyone has thier own opinion.

We will wish you into the nut house.

Cheers,

ts

------------------
Guns are for show. Knifes are for Pros.

Gotta agree with Dave. I'm into verry short bladed versions of the khukri but then that's why I'm getting a Mini-Me.
smile.gif

Neck knives, a kerambit (small, hook knife) or a finger razor in a drop point style would get my attention. Haven't thought of a good design yet but I like the Martin Beanieball and the Alan Folts finger knife.

Steven: I did decide to order a bunch of additional 18 inchers (plenty coming, so nobody has to rush to place an advance order). I thought your suggestion was a good one, especially since the 20 inch AK is such a beast! Although, for me, I'd probably carry nothing, AK-wise, larger than your 15 AK, of which I also ordered more (no scrolled buttcaps as promised).

Dave: Can you point me in the direction of a website or catalog that sells these style knives? When I make it over to Nepal, bringing some "prototypes" (in junky tourist form) would be a great help.

And everybody: don't worry - my passion is always for Khukuris, and that's what I'm committed to providing - I just wanted to challenge the kamis and see what they can produce given a prototype.

I am with Coyote. I would like to see some Kyber knives. I have a couple friends who want them.

Regards,

Tom Carey

Craig,

The "junky tourist" stuff can easily be found on Ebay.com .

Examples of various quality can be found at:

Invis.com

* Choose the category "Sandata"

Lugani.com

* Choose "Bladed Weapons"

Iisportsonline.com

* Choose "Weapons", then "Filipino"

I'd like to see the traditional filipino blade designs, but with the traditional full, spike tang of the khukuri. Maybe even using the bell shaped handle of a Chainpuri khukuri. The tang on most filipino blades doesn't go all the way through the grip and IMHO, that is their biggest weakness.

In the Philippines, "bolos" (which come in lots of shapes & sizes) are like khukuris in that they serve as both tool and weapon to the local people.

For myself, I'd like to see one with a 16 to 18 inch long (and 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick) "barong" style blade, the traditional khukuri tang and a chainpuri handle. Sure it wouldn't be a "traditional" filipino barong, but the WWIII isn't a traditional khukuri either. Besides, it would be one hell of a tough tool/weapon.

Respectfully,

Dave Fulton

------------------
Full Contact Martial Arts Association.

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

[This message has been edited by Dave Fulton (edited 29 November 1999).]

Craig I can draw you a couple of pictures of Khyber type knives but I don't know how to do it and put it on the web. I can mail them to you if you want. I really would like to see something like this represented as they are uncommon in the US and make great fighting knives. They have been fighting over there for quite awhile and know what works.

Coyote and Blackdog: Sounds like a plan. I'll download the pics and carry them to Nepal with me when I go. Hopefully, I'll be able to return with a prototype (yours for the asking if you want it).

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig and Blackdog I can get you some drawings by fax maybe tommorrow night if you want. I need to get some time to get to it. I have been working 16 hour days this week and need to get up a 5 tommorrow so I will try to in the evening. I have about three ideas and one is really quite simple and yes I would be interested in the prototype. Thanks

Coyote,

Take your time. I feel that this one is something I should hand-carry to Nepal, although drawings will certainly go out via fax before then. Who knows, maybe we'll get it right the first time.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Blackdog I have rough (and I mean rough) drawings for two knives and a sword with two variations down on paper. If you would like me to try and fax them just e-mail me with the number and I will send them. I feel that they have some good inovations like the reinforced tip grind that I borrowed from Bud Nealy. I can do some more but I donot have any pics of smaller designs.

I will plan on faxing my pics tonight. I hope it works I am anxious to see what you guys think.

What about a "Damascus" khukuri?

And for a modern look, has anyone experience with Brownell's Acraglass as handle material? It's a bedding epoxy used for molding gunstock. It would work for a rat-tailed type khukuri tang. I heard it's tough as hell and you could put finger grooves on it. Might that be an alternative to micarta?

[This message has been edited by tallwingedgoat (edited 04 December 1999).]

Back