What part of the big Banter catches your attention the most?

What part of the big Banter catches your attention the most?
MMQKjwr.jpg

u5JXbq1.jpg

Sorry this is a negative - but those bearings that WE Knife uses are pretty outdated now. A set of bearings hardly costs anything these days and you could easily use a set of multi row bearings in all the WE Knives. It doesn't have to be custom bearings.

We’re not seeing any better materials, yet most new WE knives are $100 more now than even a year ago. Same construction.

Unless they’re thinking their newer, fancier pocket clips are worth $100. Not understanding the huge price increases when the knives are identical construction.

Marketing Plan: add a lower-tier product line while moving existing lines upward price-wise with no changes in construction/assembly costs. Generate an advertising vehicle to showcase the products. (WE‘s in-house duo of YouTubers.)

In theory, benefits include increased sales revenue (due to new “economical” lower tier line) plus increased profitability due to additional profit margin on the “older” existing product lines.

Last edited:
^^ Pretty much!!

It’s what I’ve been saying for a while now. “Let’s add $100 to all of our mainstream Ti framelocks for no reason, in the span of 10 months.”

“Oh and we’ll make most of them limited editions now so we can charge even more.”

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Ziffius is one that I like, but retailing at 405? That's one I'm going to pass on because of the price.

WE's ‘budget brands' (Civivi and Sencut in particular) are very good. If WE wants to distinguish their knives for a higher market they need to have a completely different approach to both design and marketing.

WE's ‘budget brands' (Civivi and Sencut in particular) are very good. If WE wants to distinguish their knives for a higher market they need to have a completely different approach to both design and marketing.

It depends. I often like when there is a "Civivi version". Part of it is that I actually prefer liner locks, materials like Micarta, and thinner blades. 🤷‍♂️

It depends. I often like when there is a "Civivi version". Part of it is that I actually prefer liner locks, materials like Micarta, and thinner blades. 🤷‍♂️
Agreed. Framelocks and metal handles are not “premium” features for me, but rather detractions. I also prefer simpler, functional designs that don’t look like weapons or military gear. But judging by the design of knives in the market I am in the minority.

The unique design of the Civivi Savant with a back-scaled framelock(!) is very attractive and could easily be aimed at a higher market in limited editions with premium steels and unique scales. This is more of a gentleman's knife, and could be marketed accordingly. Personally I find the material combos annoying. The production Damascus looks cheap (compared to hand forged, which is clearly premium), black scales should go with the cerakoted steel, the wood scales should go with a polished blade and be available in different flavors, etc.

Which leads directly to a premium marketing idea: allow custom orders from a range of materials. If WE picks up on this I wouldn’t mind a couple of free knives. :)

No part of the Big Banter catches my attention.
Magnacut and 14C28N catch my attention. CPM-20CV is getting boring.
Bright colors catch my attention, especially when I have dropped a knife out in the middle of a pasture.
Serrated or partially serrated blades catch my attention. What would really catch my attention would be a half serrated blade with the serrations at the tip instead of the heel.
Button locks catch my attention. I do not like frame locks or liner locks.
Finger notches catch my attention. I do not want a knife to slip out of my hand when the heat index is 115F and my hands are dripping with sweat.
The Civivi Cogent catches my attention, especially with the combo blade. I wish it came in brighter colors.

I just got a Protech Malibu with Magnacut. It has similar features to the two Cogents that I have. People rave about the Malibu, but I prefer the Cogents, especially at one quarter the price. Aside from the price, it's a close call.

Last edited:
Magnacut and 14C28N catch my attention. CPM-20CV is getting boring.
Bright colors catch my attention, especially when I have dropped a knife out in the middle of a pasture.
Serrated or partially serrated blades catch my attention. What would really catch my attention would be a half serrated blade with the serrations at the tip instead of the heel.
Button locks catch my attention. I do not like frame locks or liner locks.

Agreed. I think I have a thread here about getting tired of 20CV. It's not bad and I don't hate it. Like 154CM, I just have a lot of it and it isn't my favorite. For roughly twenty years now, 14C28N has been a constant in my EDC rotation. It's great for what it is.

While I don't like bright colors, having options that are friendly to dyeing different colors can be a good idea.

I prefer a plain edge on my main blade. I have a serrated blade on my multi-tool and rarely use it.

The unique design of the Civivi Savant with a back-scaled framelock(!) is very attractive and could easily be aimed at a higher market in limited editions with premium steels and unique scales. This is more of a gentleman's knife, and could be marketed accordingly. Personally I find the material combos annoying. The production Damascus looks cheap (compared to hand forged, which is clearly premium), black scales should go with the cerakoted steel, the wood scales should go with a polished blade and be available in different flavors, etc.

Which leads directly to a premium marketing idea: allow custom orders from a range of materials. If WE picks up on this I wouldn’t mind a couple of free knives. :)

A WE custom shop could be a great idea. There have been many times where I like a particular design but not in the color combinations or handle materials offered. While I can sometimes get the combinations I want through swapping parts, it would be nice to just order what I want directly from WE.

BTW, I was late to the part on the Savant. Like the Voltaic, I like it a lot more than I expected. I did a scale swap and messed around with contouring the wooden scales to get this one. My wife is enamored with it so I don't get to carry it much. 😜 The corresponding blackout version with carbon fiber is fantastic too but I'll probably sell it. I just don't carry much in the way of black gear.

kzK736P.jpg

A WE custom shop could be a great idea. There have been many times where I like a particular design but not in the color combinations or handle materials offered. While I can sometimes get the combinations I want through swapping parts, it would be nice to just order what I want directly from WE.

BTW, I was late to the part on the Savant. Like the Voltaic, I like it a lot more than I expected. I did a scale swap and messed around with contouring the wooden scales to get this one. My wife is enamored with it so I don't get to carry it much. 😜 The corresponding blackout version with carbon fiber is fantastic too but I'll probably sell it. I just don't carry much in the way of black gear.

kzK736P.jpg
That's sweet! Did you have to tune the action? My last two knives (Civivi and Sencut) were stiff out of the box.

That's sweet! Did you have to tune the action? My last two knives (Civivi and Sencut) were stiff out of the box.

Thanks! The action and detent were good right from the box on both the Savants: nice and snappy. Neither dropped shut but that's true for a lot of the Civivi knives with light blades. I didn't experiement with pivot tension. I just took them apart.

I installed Skiff bearings mostly "just because". As usual, dialing in to "just right" with the Skiffs was almost thoughtless. There was a slight improvement in the balance between action and lock-up on this one. I noticed a bigger improvement in the blackout counterpart but I feel like it needs to break in a little.

Back