What say you , copy or not ?

It is said that imitation is the highest form of flattery. Knife-makers are so many today I honestly think it is very hard to come up with a new or unique design. Think the bottom line is quality, choice of materials, and how some knife makers take such care of their quality control.

I was in Wal-Mart the other day in the sporting goods department noticed some throw away folders for $4.97. I am sure Wal-Mart sell a boat load a year. Made in China, poor steel, poor quality, but some people love these knives. The the $4.97 Wally World special looked like another famous make design, did not have that famous make name stamped the copies, and made to sell for $4.97.

The sad fact is the Asian Countries are the biggest counterfitters in the world. I have seen Micro-Tech Ultra-Tec OTF Autos that look like the real deal, the boxes, warranty cards, make the unsuspecting buyer think they found the deal of the day. Benchmade Infedel are being counterfitted, same deal box, warranty card, looks like the real deal to the uneducated buyer.

Want to feel sorry for a creative artist, remember the photo of the firefighters raising the American flag at ground zero out of the rubble after 09-11-2011. Some news photographer took the image, owned the image, and all of a sudden that image was on t-shirts, plates, and all sorts of things. Poor owner (photographer) of the image got shafted out of royalties, licensing fees, and a whole lot of money.

Some would say it is not a big deal, it is just a photo, but it is intellectual property like a knife design that is stamped Emerson, has a Wave and was created by Mr. Emerson. Coping it with out his permissions is a big deal.

Last edited:
According to Tim, the recondo (the name of the knife posted) is his version of Howard viele's RT-6 tanto folder, which Tim claims he had viele's permission to replicate. Tim and Howard do tend to share some design elements in other knives and I haven't heard anything about Howard complaining about Tim, so I tend to believe that story. Regardless the recondo is actually a decent knife and one that's actually made by Tim, as opposed to his China-sourced Tangos.

Did Howard viele then copy the cqc6? Perhaps... Definitely similar design elements. Howard viele is fairly well-respected in the custom knife arena though... So it's definitely a complicated situation.

When called on it, Tim actually had the balls to say the cqc6 was a copy of Howard's RT-6, but I can't find any reference of anything from Howard that looks like the RT-6 pre-2000 whereas there are numerous examples of 6s from every era since the early 90s, so of course the CQC6 came first. and tim sorta is certifiably nutz, and Howard hasn't ever said anything, so Tim could just be tossing Howard under the bus.

so it's most likely that:
Howard viele drew inspiration for his RT-6 from the CQC6. Tim Britton likely had Howard's permission to make a similar knife. Tim Britton loses mind- thinks he invented edged weapons.

Last edited:
According to Tim, the recondo (the name of the knife posted) is his version of Howard viele's RT-6 tanto folder, which Tim claims he had viele's permission to replicate. Tim and Howard do tend to share some design elements in other knives and I haven't heard anything about Howard complaining about Tim, so I tend to believe that story. Regardless the recondo is actually a decent knife and one that's actually made by Tim, as opposed to his China-sourced Tangos.

Did Howard viele then copy the cqc6? Perhaps... Definitely similar design elements. Howard viele is fairly well-respected in the custom knife arena though... So it's definitely a complicated situation.

When called on it, Tim actually had the balls to say the cqc6 was a copy of Howard's RT-6, but I can't find any reference of anything from Howard that looks like the RT-6 pre-2000 whereas there are numerous examples of 6s from every era since the early 90s, so of course the CQC6 came first. and tim sorta is certifiably nutz, and Howard hasn't ever said anything, so Tim could just be tossing Howard under the bus.

so it's most likely that:
Howard viele drew inspiration for his RT-6 from the CQC6. Tim Britton likely had Howard's permission to make a similar knife. Tim Britton loses mind- thinks he invented edged weapons.

It's also possible that (given his history) Tim is completely talking out his @** on all accounts. Who knows for sure.

It's also possible that (given his history) Tim is completely talking out his @** on all accounts. Who knows for sure.

That's why I said Tim *likely* had Howard's permission... And the last sentence too...
Anyone know how to get in contact with Howard? Would definitely be interesting to get his take.

Back