What Schrades did you give or get this Christmas?

Codger_64

I gave my son an AP55 Apex and a new 152OT Sharpfinger for Christmas. He was most thankful for the Apex, mostly because of the "Ireland" stamp. He is enamored with our Irish heritage.

I got from Schrade Claus a 172S. It was one I had not seen before, and it was just begging for a new home (any info on this one?). The NIB 13OT and used 160OT I ebayed before Christmas will ship to me tomorrow, so I guess I'll count them as Christmas presents too.

Am I the only one who had a Schradeful Christmas? :cool:

Codger
(Groveling to resume Jan. 1, 2005) :D

JK Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
My daughter is home from college on break and is working part time at Wal-Mart. She used her employee discount to get me a 340T, 120T, 80T, and a 152 Sharpfinger. It was a pretty good Christmas!

John

I got a 24OTX, a model that I didn´t know about, double ended jack with clip and pen in a serpentine frame (probably based on the 34OT) with brass bolsters and an XTimer shield.

Sorry to say it wasn´t the quality I was used to for a Schrade, to me it shows the problems they were having at the end and the pressure they had from WalMart.

The handle scales were badly finished and the springs stayed above the back when the knife was opened. I wanted to make it good and put some elbow grease on it, finished the scales and filed down the top back of the tangs to make the springs flush when open, I over did it a bit on the clip main blade and ended up giving a few hard blows with hammer and chisel on the tang to bring it back to size, ended up with a decent user but not comparable to my older knives, main blade has some play when closed and pen blade is lazy/dumb on the walk and talk.

Perhaps I should have left it alone and put it away as some kind of memento, but I rather keep my good old ones (such as my stag handled stockman) for that. This one will be used with pride despite its problems.

Luis

textoothpk

BANNED
Codger, do a search of this forum: 172

And you will find LT's comments on your Knife.

Don Luis! I didn't know you were a cutler as well as everything else! Good going.

Phil

ps... I am embarrassed to tell you of the collectable knife one of my relatives gave me.

Phil,
Does this mean it wasn't the "Sandbar" Bowie????

Bradford Exchange? Franklin Mint? Inquiring minds want to know..... :D

Oh, Merry Christmas. And here comes a good New Year!

Bill

Several months ago, my wife and I were on vacation and stopped in a knife shop one of our son-in-laws had told us about. Among the items I found were two Schrade Barlows, one an orange handled 206 and the other a Scrimshaw SC506. After some mulling over, I decided on the orange 206, as I really liked it. A couple of weeks later, I began wishing I had bought the Scrimshaw one, and actually thought about calling the shop and having him send it to me if he still had it. Just never followed up. Turns out he didn't have it, as it had followed me home in my wife's purse (she had snuck back to the shop while I was elsewhere) and was a Christmas gift from two of our daughters and their husbands. Barlows are special to me as I still have my grandfather's old Imperial Barlow (he died in 1964 and yes, it has a broken blade-how did so many people break the blades on those old Barlows?) and one of my regular pocket knive is a Boker Barlow (purchased at the same knife shop). Hopefully, these three Barlows will spend the rest of my life together. Vaquero

Codger_64

textoothpk said:
Codger, do a search of this forum: 172 And you will find LT's comments on your Knife.
Phil
ps... I am embarrassed to tell you of the collectable knife one of my relatives gave me.

Already have Phil. Thanks! And I've had my own embarrasing moments with knives from well meaning relatives! How do you think I got all those Safe-T-Grip knives? Er...uh... they did give you a Schrade, right? Or was it a S&W? WInchester! That's it! :D

Codger (who buys his own Christmas knives now) ;)

lrv

I gave 2 Camillus Western Poker knives that I purchased from SMKW to my 2 boys as a stocking stuffer as they are both into Texas Holdem poker. I gotta tell ya that I dont believe for 1 minute these blades that were stamped USA were really made in the states but it didn't matter as the kids loved em and the card deck that came with em. My wife gave me a beautiful Laguiole she brought back from one of her trips which will go directly into the display case. You just can't carry one of these as a EDC. (they just wouldn't hold up)
TTYL
Larry

textoothpk

BANNED
You really don't wanna see what I got guys. Trust me, you really don't.
Phil

CRH

textoothpk said:
You really don't wanna see what I got guys. Trust me, you really don't.
Phil

You know you want to show us, Phil........ Trust me, you really do ;).

My sister and brother-in-law gave me an eBay gift certificate so I added to my 49er collection, a 491L :D.

textoothpk said:
... Don Luis! I didn't know you were a cutler ...
Phil,

I´m no cutler but as you know I enjoy working with tools and fixing things (I´m not the only one, we´ve seen your work).

While I was at it I added some simple wave filework to the spines, not fancy and a bit rough but it does add a cool factor to the knife

Yes we do want to see what you got, or at least tell us more about it

Luis

141zsn

Nicely done, Luis. I really like filework. I just think it personalizes a knife. Especially a factory knife.

Come on Phil, take it off......ooops!... I of course meant "Show It Off"....my bad. :eek:

Bill

lrv

Phil,
We all are begging to see.. You cant keep teasing us like we are the "Maidens of Ellenville" and you with your MOP.

;)
TTYL
Larry

I didn't think I got ~any~ knives for Christmas, but at a post-Christmas get-together, the person who had my name bought me a 152OT, the Sharpfinger. The edge is very jagged and the grind is uneven. I can see why Schrade went under...

I also picked up an interesting 'gift'. Someone had found a small Old Timer in the wall of a home that had burned. It seems likely the home builder dropped it. The brown delrin is bleach white, perhaps from the fire, and there's some rust on the blades.

Best Wishes,
Bob

Codger_64

Bob, I agree with you about the jagged edge grind on the last 152OT's. I have one and that is the first thing I noticed. My blade also turned out to be stainless, so I am putting it up for a keeper. Imagine the rush they went through to try meeting the Walmart demands there near the end, including outsourcing some work and working double shifts. So I am keeping mine even though it looks like it was finished by the B team. :)

glennbad

Knife Moddin' Fool
Sadly boys (and girls), I received nor gave any edged implements of any kind. :grumpy:

However, I did EDC a walden 3-blade stockman on xmas day to cut paper and packages. :D

Never-the-less, I still have a small suitcase full of 'orphans' that I have adopted over the past year or so, that need some special attention to stop the flow of time. If I ever get my addition finished, and my son crossed over into boy scouts (in another year or so), I might have time to spend with those 'kids'.

Sadly. I have not had alot of time to haunt the forum either, but the rest of you lost souls are keeping watch without me just fine.

Happy new year, everyone.

Glenn

textoothpk

BANNED
Glenn, good to have you drop in. Been too long.

Alas (what a great old word!), as I've told the others, the knives I received for Xmas are embarassing. But a gift is a gift, so I must keep and value them, always remembering it is the thought that counts.

So if you wanna see what santa brought me, my Ebay name is....

Naw, forget it.

Phil

glennbad

Knife Moddin' Fool
Yeah, I got some of those a few years back. Lovely wooden presentation boxes, and beautiful colored plastic handle inserts. I suppose it is the thought that counts, but even so, I don't have the heart to even store them near the real 'cutlery'...

I wouldn't trust any of my family or friends to give me a knife as a present, as they wouldn't have a clue. They just don't get it. They all think I'm knife-crazy. And I am.

It reminds of the time when my sister-in-law bought one of the kids a baseball glove. The glove she bought was not very good, or suitable for the boy, but it was blue in colour, which is why she bought it - she liked the colour. All us guys laughed at her, and we (I) still bring it up once in a while.
Of course her husband gave the glove back to the store and got something more suitable.

So no knives as presents for me. I'll buy my own.