What sharpening system do you like?

Hey Guys and gails,
Maybe you can help me pick a good sharpening system. Please include your opinions,reasons and Web pages to go to.

Thanks

------------------
" Hand, Stick, Knife, Gun " Use what you have.

My personal choice is the Spyderco Sharpmaker (good description available at HTTP://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?SP204MF ).

It's an easy system to use on most knives and does a great job quickly. For my Busse's, I can use the rods to strop the left side of the blade, and a leather strop to polish things up.

The only drawback to the system is that it really can't reprofile a blade very quickly.

CJ
s002cjs@yahoo.com

Trail - triangular (4") ceramic and something leather to strop (denim or rough jacket material will also work)

Home - ceramic stick and 10,000 grit Chromium Oxide on smooth leather, for serious removal - 220 or 320 SiC on rough leather then to 10,000 grit

I like to use a smooth steel after any sharpening as a finishing touch (usually more convenient at home)

The Busse Combat Team recommends using a ceramic rod. The reason I believe theis is the best thing to use is because the man who knows the steel best, Jerry Busse, sez so. You can find inexpensive rods at Walmart or try the Spyderco rod. If you use the Spyderco use the point of the triangle because it is rounded.
Andrew
biggrin.gif

OK. I got this system worked out. Not a system like Jerry and Strab's Velcro glove critter but a system of stones. I use the razor's edge sharpening system stones for my coarse and medium. Their fine stone makes a good medium and I swear their coarse stone (Which I use rarely) could strip the barnicles off of a tug boat. I think their web site is www.razoredgesystems.com Try it out. Then I use the Spyderco Sharpmaker rods "for my medium/fine to fine" to touch my edge up and correct any flaws the big blocks may have caused and get it ready to be polished. Then for final polishing I use the Spyderco "Ultra Fine" bench stone to get it hair splitting sharp and I finish on my strop. The spyderco stones can be found at www.spyderco.com . Some may say that those are too many steps but it's worth it to me with the kinda edge I get. YIKES! :O

------------------
"You can take a ride through this life if you want. But you can't take the edge off the knife."
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/albumList?u=879893&Auth=false

Back