1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation? What should I do with my ZT(framelock issue)?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Gideons, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Gideons

Gideons Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Hey BF,

I've owned 4 ZT emerson collabs, the first one was a ZT 0620 and my newest one(ZT 0630ORBLK) have the same issue. When I disengage the lock, it is extremely smooth, almost too smooth as it disengages without any Resistance or tension at all. Secondly, when I push the spine of the knife into the palm of my hand the lockbar slips (outwards) on just light hand pressure and almost disengages. With any actual spine pressure it would disengage. Thoughts on this? Only ever had this issue on the ZT emerson collabs.

-Gideons

2. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    My zt 0620 had this issue too. The way I see it there is the smart way and a dumb way to fix this.

Smart: send them into ZT for warranty work.

Dumb: take the knife apart and gently bend the lockbar just abit further in. Be careful not to overdo it. I used a monkey wrench with cloth over the jaws to gain better leverage. Bending it abit further in completely solved the problem on mine.

Gideons likes this.
  3. Gideons

Dec 9, 2015
    Hmm, glad that fixed your issue. I wouldn't bend it myself, however I also in this current situation with the CBSA I don't think I could risk sending it back to ZT for maintenance.

4. Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    The only option then is to do it yourself.

Or where do you live in Canada?

5. jbmonkey

jbmonkey with special platinum powers Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    only 1 way. send it to zt for repair work.

Gideons likes this.
  6. Gideons

Dec 9, 2015
    Ontario

7. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    You could ask them if they might do it for you if you just send them the lock side? Might be less hassle with customs. Just a thought.

8. Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    You need the blade to be able to put the knife back together and check if it worked.

9. Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    You live anywhere near Toronto or do you ever come to the city?

10. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Well I was thinking that ZT can do it with just the lockside somehow.

11. Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Even if you just sent them the whole handle they aren’t going to stick a new blade in there just to test if the lockup worked. I doubt they would use a blade from their stock for that.

@Gideons you could always send them an email and find out.

12. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    I've bent lockbars inward on multiple knives. Not because I observed lock slip, rather because it was apparent that they had only just enough spring strength to engage, without any additional strength to wear-in.
    It's an easy fix. I got the desired result every time.
    If your lock is slipping you may be better off sending it in.

13. Gideons

Dec 9, 2015
    Hmm, thank you for all the input. I will contact ZT tomorrow to talk options

14. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    Did you alcohol the lock faces? Tighten all the hardware? Open it a few hundred times?

15. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Send to ZT for repair or replacement.

16. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    I don’t advise trying to manually adjust lockbar tension as a means to that particular end; what you’re describing is lock slip, which is caused by a combination of lock geometry (both the materials and angles of both the blade tang and lock interfaces) and the tension on the lockbar. I’m not familiar with KAI’s warranty policy, but manual bending of the lockbar sounds like the kind of thing that voids warranties.

ZT warranty service or a return / exhange to the seller are far and away your best options, as those run no risk of voiding a warranty and little risk of getting an unsatisfactory result in the end.

17. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Common zt issues. Send in for service.

18. mongomondo

mongomondo SUPPRESSING FIRE Gold Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Yeah I had a black ZT 620 with really weak lock tension. I'm guessing they started doing that because a lot of their older knives were actually built with really strong detents and tension and customers probably started whining how it hurt their fingers to flip the knives constantly.

19. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    Just bend it yourself, go slow and be careful. Or send it to KAI to have some kid they just hired do it for you.

willc likes this.
  20. MSchott

MSchott Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2017
    This video reminds me of the CS vs CRK videos. Why would you whack your knife on the spine in daily usage? Daily usage puts pressure in the other direction, towards lockup. He discounts this but only because it supports his point IMO.

sunny sy and Superdave1 like this.