What size small wheel should I get for my Coote 10" 2x72 grinder?

I'm getting a Coote 10" 2x72 grinder and plan to get a roller accessory:

Roller
Small radius roller unit for 5/8" - 2-1/2" dia. sleeve on live shaft
Just move belt over and rotate machine forward for access

Basically it allows me to have another wheel for smaller work. Any tips on what size wheel I should get? I plan on using it to work on handles, choil, finger guard, and various smaller tasks. I was thinking to get something like 1" but really have no idea since I'm just starting out.

I have a 3/4" that I use for those things. You can make a bigger inside radius with a smaller wheel but you can't make a 1" wheel make a 3/4" radius if that makes sense.

I did the inside radii with my 3/4" on this one for example.

rx9JBPn.jpg

I have a 3/4" that I use for those things. You can make a bigger inside radius with a smaller wheel but you can't make a 1" wheel make a 3/4" radius if that makes sense.
I did the inside radii with my 3/4" on this one for example.

Ya that makes sense. I was considering 1/2" but don't want to go too small cause I'm afraid it will cause indentions. Nice knife by the way =)

1/2" will be good for inside guard curves on small/medium knives. 1/2" and 5/8" seem to be the common guard curve size. when using a small wheel to do a larger curve, keep the workpiece moving and keep consistent pressure and you will not have any deep spots or indentations. i use 1/2" , 1" and a 2" for curves.

You should consider the disc grinder attachment he offers with that machine. I had a Coote as my first 2x72 , Long gone now but definitely a decent machine. Good luck !

1/2" will be good for inside guard curves on small/medium knives. 1/2" and 5/8" seem to be the common guard curve size. when using a small wheel to do a larger curve, keep the workpiece moving and keep consistent pressure and you will not have any deep spots or indentations. i use 1/2" , 1" and a 2" for curves.

Good info thank you.

You should consider the disc grinder attachment he offers with that machine. I had a Coote as my first 2x72 , Long gone now but definitely a decent machine. Good luck !

I was going to get one but thought maybe I need one I can position vertical so the disk is flat/horizontal. What did you use the disk for?

I have a 1/2" and a 3/4", I use the 3/4" 95% of the time. I also make a lot of small knives.

Good info thank you.

I would use it mostly for scales . It’s useful if you don’t have a lot of money to invest at the moment . A dedicated one is way more useful.

I was going to get one but thought maybe I need one I can position vertical so the disk is flat/horizontal. What did you use the disk for?

Back