Recommendation? What specs to post when selling custom knives? How to price? Chubby Hueske, Arno Bernard, RW Wilson

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by connor6times, Jun 17, 2020.

1. connor6times

connor6times Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 17, 2020
    Hi all,
    A friend's father passed away and left him a pretty unbelievable pile of guns and knives that he has no room for. I'm helping him get them listed for sale but it seems like many of these knives are custom and don't really have an "MSRP". Any suggestions on what info people are looking for in custom knife listings? Is eBay the only reasonable auction site for things like this? Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    you could check arizona knives for past selling prices to get a baseline idea. arno sells on ebay as well for price comparison.

Dawkind likes this.
  3. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    People will want to know the blade steel and thickness, the handle material, plus the blade & overall length.

4. connor6times

Jun 17, 2020
    Thank you for the suggestion on Arizona Knives. That's what I was looking for.

5. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    @connor6times Welcome to BF. Thanks for upping your membership.

If these were antiques I would say do VERY little. But they aren't. Condition, condition, condition.

Blued brass guards and discolored steel all should be attended to in a smart manner. Sheaths are worn and scales are dried and shrunken (from what I see here.) Not much he can do about that, Yet this will affect value deeply.

Good luck with AZCK. They do this all the time.

6. connor6times

Jun 17, 2020
    Thank you!

7. Jon Brand

Jon Brand Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2007
    Aside from checking their site as mentioned, AZCK might be a good place to sell to or use for consignment as they deal in tons of used or less then mint condition items.

If you sell yourself: I would list all the flaws you can find and show close honest photos of them. I find that that an honest sale and price to reflect that are more successful and dont lead to any problems with returns or an unhappy buyer. Also attracts buyers faster if they know what they are getting. If the edge is sharp and the blade doesn't need any work it is worth a mention. Many knives don't come sharp which can be annoying.

List as many details about the knife and materials as possible.