What steel would you use for a self defense/fighter/combat style knife?

In the role of a self defense/fighter style blade, what steel would you use? In this case, I am not thinking of a smaller type self defense blade. Something more in line of a larger blade 6" blade being the shortest.

So, what steel would you use? What thickness? Why? I am very curious about what you think on this.

Thanks

CPM 3V, perhaps? It's tough, takes a good edge, and is relatively stainless, IIRC. 3/16" would be fine. It's funny, I prefer larger and heavier blades generally for knives, but short and quick blades for my swords.

For an application like that, I'd say 440HC might be ideal. Rarely do people use a dedicated SD knife for anything else. It keeps costs down and the steel is respectable, at 3/16" thickness.

Just a very mid range steel. Don't need anything fancy if it is going to be used once or most likely never.

I would say for knives under 6 inches; m4, m390, s90v? For anything 6" + 01, or 5200, or 3v. My knives get used even if their purpose is for a good defensive role. Although they're always sharp. If you're going to spend a lot on a knife, there's no sense never using it.

So, why 3/16" on the thickness? Wouldn't going a little thinner and reducing weight make sense? Lighter knife, easier to carry, moves quicker.

So, why 3/16" on the thickness? Wouldn't going a little thinner and reducing weight make sense? Lighter knife, easier to carry, moves quicker.

3/16" was just a random measure I threw out there. I got to thinking about possibly a scenario where light prying would be needed. It also depends on the grind and Rc I guess, as well as the length of the blade. For me, I can't really notice much difference between .5 ounces and 1.5 ounces on a fixed blade.
If toughness is desired then CF was on the money with 3V, or even CPM-M4 would be a great alternative. I 'll also say that if you are planning a fixed blade fighter, I'm absolutely interested in the project. :D

I chose 3/16" for a large blade because I felt it would be a good balance between strength and weight. If I'm using a longer blade, the weight of the blade is its own advantage; you just have to use a different handling style. That's why I'd probably grab for my HI Ultimate Fighter khukuri if I needed to fend off an attacker.

--Dirk, when you have a second, can you please contact me? I'm anxiously awaiting the custom PPK. Thank you!

Why, yes. I am working on a fighter design. In fact, I am in the final stages of refining it. Just trying to come down to final dimensions. Hopefully, if it is received well enough, HTM will want to add it to the line up.

3V at 4" or more, M4 3.9" or less.

I would have no problem trusting 5160, 1080/1084, 1070 or 1095. You will not get less expensive then this.

Last edited:
1095 or 440c. As Rev said, I'd be more interested in keeping cost down than on a super highend steel for a dedicated SD knife. 440c might have a slight edge just because you may want to carry it next to skin. I would want it only about 1/8 inch at most unless you plqn on making something like a short sword. My ideal would involve a compact handle with good grip, very acute tip and no longer than a 4.5 inch blade, but that's just me.

Going along the 6"+ range, 1070-1090 steel would be probably be the choice.

Another question - handle style? a smaller handle that would be designed for maximum grip security? Or a larger handle that gives more versatility?

Back