What Survival Bag do you use?

Looking to add the Camelbak Trizip to my arsenal for the winter hikes and summer over nighters, 2300 ci + Molle, and Mystery Ranch harness. I try and stay under 20 lbs for day hikes and 30 lbs for the 2-3 day stuff.

The Trizip is unlike anything else I've seen from Camelbak. Interesting pack. :thumbup:

camelbak-trizip-001.jpg

I am starting to take a modular approach to EDC, BOB and multi-day.
Each component builds upon what I already have packed in the unit preceding it.

Maxpedition Triad and a Bark River is on my hip whenever I step foot in the woods (mushroom hunting, etc).

If I am hunting (all day excursion) then I will ad my jumbo versipack (with first aid kit, water bottle etc).

Chance of staying the night? My hammock and bed roll attached to a load bearing belt would be added. Enough food and equipment (water filtration, etc.) for comfortable 48 hrs. Pistol would now be on my belt, Triad would be hooked to jumbo versipack. At this point my woods vest would also be added with 18 more pockets to stash the small stuff.

Anything over that will be a full pack frame loaded for SHTF. Above items already mentioned are redistributed into full size pack in addition to the gear already prepacked for a g.o.o.d. scenario. This keeps me from forgetting anything I might need. It is all housed together in a secure jobbox when not in use.

Don't even get me started on what I have packed for the rest of the family... lol

Don
1knifehunter

Maxpedition falcon 2 and the Leo versipack and for a long distance bob the eberlestock m4 so I can carry my rifle.

Currant survival bag is Mystery Ranch Dragonslayer backpack. Its a bit on the pricey side but definitely made for hard use and should last a lifetime.

Evil, evil thread.

I'm looking hard at the Maxpedition Falcon II.

It's now pretty much just a case of Foliage Green or Olive Drab and finding a good vendor. :eek:

In the summer, would it be pretty easy to overnight out of this pack with the right gear?

Evil, evil thread.

I'm looking hard at the Maxpedition Falcon II.

It's now pretty much just a case of Foliage Green or Olive Drab and finding a good vendor. :eek:

In the summer, would it be pretty easy to overnight out of this pack with the right gear?

I've purchased Maxpedition stuff from Oso Grande, L.A. Police Gear, and direct from Maxpedition. If you look around long enough, you might find a vendor who has the item you want on sale.

You can overnight with it for sure. I wish I had a photo of mine all loaded up for late season hunting in the Adirondacks... it can carry a surprising amount of stuff, inside and out. It's the first bag I've owned that I put lots of gear on the outside of. The Y-strap that comes over the top and the pair of compression straps on each side make it very convenient to put bulky clothing, etc, on the outside of the pack. That's something I had hardly considered as practical with other packs and bags I've used.

I'm a daypack, bag and backpack nut and have too many of them. If I had to keep just one daypack, the Falcon II would be it. Not only is it my favorite daypack, my Falcon II is one of my all-time favorite pieces of outdoor equipment.

I have a Mini RollyPoly attached to one side, an M2 waistpack on the other side and three or four Grimloc D-rings on the Molle webbing in various spots. I use a three-liter Blackhawk water reservoir in the bladder pocket. I keep my FRS radio in a Maxpedition clip-on holster so I can attach it to my belt, clothing, or the Falcon II.

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Okay, I snapped a few pics of my MOLLE II Assault Pack today. It has a waist pack attached at the bottom, two canteen, one mag and one grenade pouches. I might add more accessories in the future, but this setup works well for now. Everything you see here adds up to about $70 and the quality is really top notch. I especially like the almost indestructible zippers.

DSC_0317b.jpg

DSC_0325b.jpg

I also got one of these (not my pic) just like you see here for an amazing $60, but after setting it up like the one above, it weighed in at almost 10 lbs. My current pack is right at 35 lbs fully loaded with full canteens and probably 5 lbs empty.

MOLLE2packdes-lg.jpg

I also got one of these (not my pic) just like you see here for an amazing $60, but after setting it up like the one above, it weighed in at almost 10 lbs. My current pack is right at 35 lbs fully loaded with full canteens and probably 5 lbs empty.

MOLLE2packdes-lg.jpg

OK, what pack IS that? The Molle2?

Meant to ALSO say, while I don't know about "survival bag," the bag that I use for just about everything except backpacking is the Maxpedition Condor II. I guess I like to overpack, because I think it is even bigger than the Falcon II, but I'd be hardpressed to use it as an overnight bag and actually be comfortable, I think. Although I don't have a whole lot strapped to the outside. The one thing I don't especially like, I just found out Monday, is that the straps on the bottom of the Condor II are about 6 inches shorter than I'd like, for carrying my Ridgerest.

This is the description from the place I bought it (armygear.) They still sell these for the same price. The quality of every component is truly superb, but you pay the price for that with the weight.

This is an assembled MOLLE II Standard Pack, including a Gen-IV Frame, Shoulder Straps, Waistbelt, Rucksack, and Sleep System Carrier, assembled according to the official MOLLE II Care and Use Manual. All parts are made by Specialty Defense Systems, Inc, except for the frame, which is made by Downeast Inc, and all parts are GENUINE Military Issue. Brand new condition, individual parts come to us still sealed in bags. Non-plastic items are constructed of 1000 Denier Cordura and nylon threading, which is mold and mildew resistant and water-repellant. All plastic is ITW Fastex GhillieTex Infrared Reduction polymer. We are selling these at an amazingly low price compared to other vendors, but don't be fooled, these are genuine military surplus and in prime condition.

Rucksack:
NSN 8465-01-491-7519
3000 Cubic Inch capacity
Front claymore pocket & Inner attachment rings for Radio Pocket
Transparent plastic 4"x3" ID panel
Top flap has velcro-closure 16"x16"clear plastic map panel

Sleep System Carrier:
NSN 8465-01-491-7508
1600 Cubic Inch capacity
D-Rings on each side
Transparent plastic 4"x3" ID panel

Shoulder Straps:
NSN 8465-01-491-7513
Strong 4-strap&buckle attachment to frame
Large padded back panel and 2" wide support strap
D-Ring on each strap
Easily adjust weight of pack from hips to shoulders and back on the fly!

Waist Belt:
NSN 8465-01-491-7429
Newer curved construction sits on hips better
New GT FE Blast Buckle with friction-lock sides
2 rows of PALS Webbing on either side

Gen-IV Frame:
NSN 8465-01-519-6440
Better more comfortable countoured shape
Reinforced panels where bag tabs are supported
More durable polymer--5x more impact resistant
Stronger construction and better weight distribution

I use a Maxped Sitka as a grab and go bag. Not enough room for a lot of clothes in it but a change and enough gear and food for me to get stable and form a real plan based on events.

This is the description from the place I bought it (armygear.) They still sell these for the same price. The quality of every component is truly superb, but you pay the price for that with the weight.

Thanks Halberdier. That looks like a really good pack, even though it is heavy. I gotta take a look at that.

One of these days, I'm going to learn not to click on these types of threads. :mad: :thumbup::D

Edited to add another question: You say that your current pack weight is probably 5# empty. Different pack? Or this pack, but not all the "stuff" attached?

Nevermind... just saw your post above that, the Molle2 Assault Pack is the one I'm guessing is 5# empty.

I like the look of this full pack, though. It is kinda like the new ALICE.

Last edited:
Back