1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

what the heck happened!

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by Fletcher Knives, May 24, 2016.

1. Fletcher Knives

Fletcher Knives STEEL BREATHING BLADE MAESTRO Moderator

Aug 30, 2007
    I haven't checked this forum in a while, but last time I saw it, there were more threads than you could shake a stick at and SOG was very involved with this forum. Where is Chris and where the hell did everything go? Did everyone migrate to a different message board or what?

2. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Crickets...............

3. mauser9

mauser9

Mar 1, 2016
    New here but was surprised to see lack of interest compared to other manufacturers. Thought Sog was one of the Top Dogs among knife enthusiasts. Only got the Trident as far as Sog so far but there are other models I am considering. Forum is great for gathering info before making a purchase.

4. Daverageguy

Daverageguy

Nov 19, 2004
    Well look at Sog's marketing strategy.

5. ohmyheckinslc

ohmyheckinslc Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 4, 2005
    I hate to say it, but it seems to me that the SOG of today is but a mere shadow of the SOG of yesterday...which isn't to say there aren't still diamonds to be found in the rough... Fortunately, that pendulum can swing both ways...

6. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    The positive things to say about SOGs current lineup have been said.....because all the good stuff is their older designs. Sad, but knife enthusiasts are not who they're current marketing is geared toward....

7. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    The new Traction Folder is well worth taking a look at.
    rolf

8. DPC

DPC

Dec 28, 2013
    Their business policy seems to have changed.

I'm the proud owner of an old SEAL 2000, an old NW Ranger and a Tsunami.

New designs only appeal to the Mtech and Budk audience.

I've also seen more than one knife shatter.

It's a shame because old SOG was up there with Al-Mar in terms of old school military knives.

9. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    I agree, it looks nice. Not like a lot of the other new mall ninja stuff SOG has. The problem with it is the pinned construction and the 5cr steel. For not much more money ($5) you can get knives with AUS8.

10. Carney C

Carney C

May 29, 2009
    Chris isn't with them anymore

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

11. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    That must be very recent then.

12. kyhunt

kyhunt

Mar 20, 2007
    I wondered myself. I received my firs Sog back at Christmas time. It was a Sog Sealpup made on Japan. Then when I was on vacation I decided to buy a Seal knife while at the museum in Ft. Pierce. I came on here and was stunned that there wasn't much going on. I had considered getting a few others like the leather handled bowie or super bowie but after seeing comments about that Sog was a shadow of what it use to be wasn't sure to take the plunge or not.

13. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    The new regime has done some form of rebranding...
    Time will tell if this makeover helps with creating any form of
    brand recognition prestige or consumer loyalty.
    If this is Greek to you...
    http://catalog.flatworldknowledge.com/bookhub/reader/5229?e=fwk-133234-ch06_s04
    But of course the truth of any product is in the testing :)
    And with the internet
    Only countless good reviews can help push anything these days.