What throwing style do you normally use?

I personally use spin throws (1/2 spin at 7 feet, full at 11...etc) when just throwing for enjoyment and thorn style no spin when in a (informal ;) ) competition.

What do you use?

I realize there may already be threads out there but I looked and searched and cant find one...If somebody doesn't like this thread out there because of that please include a link to one :apologetic:

I like spin throwing, personally. Some say it's not as useful, but as I see it, knife throwing isn't really a situational skill, so I can take my time finding my range :)

I like spin throwing, personally. Some say it's not as useful, but as I see it, knife throwing isn't really a situational skill, so I can take my time finding my range :)

Agreed :) ill never use knife throwing for any more than showing off and having fun. Same with all my other hobbies

I prefer no-spin. I was spinning for about 30 years before finding no-spin. I never knew it was possible. I like always throwing from the handle because there is never any danger of tearing up my hands. You younger fellows will find that as you get older the skin on your hands gets thinner and a burr can do damage that could end a camping trip or hike. Also, because the odds of hitting on a handle are quite small you can throw other bowie and belt knives with breakable handles occasionally without damage to them.

I spin them when I throw. I haven't learned how to throw without spinning them, that might be a good use of time when I have extra time to do stuff, I'm kinda crammed now with school work.

Spear Style. Just spent a whole weekend having fun with it. Just throw, and it will stick, regardless of the distance. Downside: you need a special knife (the Gyro Dart by Seberland). Upside: you learn it in 20 Minutes.
Disclaimer: Of course I still enjoy spin throwing. And for accuracy, spear style is not your friend.

Tell me about "spear style". That is how I think of no-spin, which I find very accurate, and all the elements are very like throwing a light spear. Is this something I haven't heard about?

Tell me about "spear style". That is how I think of no-spin, which I find very accurate, and all the elements are very like throwing a light spear. Is this something I haven't heard about?

I would assume he's talking about something similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dprsp_CPcs

---------------------------------------

"No reload no spin"... this is the first time I've seen someone mention that term on the forum. I would love to see you demonstrate in a video.

my favorite style is all no spin and quarter spin throws with any pointed object.. like broken knives, machetes, bowies, darts, spikes, ect.. of all sizes and weights from any distance... what i do is stick them randomly in the ground from 25ft to 5ft away.. then as fast as i can pick up and throw them I force myself to throw without thinking and using whatever style and form that comes natural from my position, distance and object in hand.. its really hard to feel like i make any progress but the fundamentals of the quarter spin and no spin throws really are getting better when i pick up a large sewing needle and throw it across the room like it was as easy as any large knife or i pick a broken tomahawk head and do a long distance underhand no spin throw with ease... I love it, no thinking takes the guess work out and now its point and shoot.

I ground sharp triangular points on five 10" deer stand nails, ground the heads down to buttons and handles the spikes with tightly fitting rubber hose. Point of balance is slightly handle heavy. They cost about $1.00 each to make and are super cheap practice itams. Also, unless they hit point on the don't stick so it makes me more accurate. If I throw fast and don't think about it too much I am accurate. If I try to put much thought into it I start missing with them. Thanks for the input on my throwing high question. I practice at least 30 minutes every day and an hour if possible! Love it!

i personally prefer no-spin, but enjoy throwing rotational as well, here is a link to a video of me doing some of both[video=youtube;qoVMHSBUhmQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoVMHSBUhmQ[/video]
hope that you take the time to watch, and please subscribe if you enjoy

I realize there may already be threads out there but I looked and searched and cant find one...If somebody doesn't like this thread out there because of that please include a link to one :apologetic:

It's good to see this forum pick up steam. Don't worry about asking a question that's already been answered - this forum isn't big enough to make repetitive inquiries a problem (speaking for myself).

There are sub-techniques within the realm of no-spin. I consider there to be three main no-spin techniques - a simplified comparison is below.

(1) Thorn style. Distinguishing characteristics are (a) the arm moves in a simple arc; the hand generally passes ABOVE the head at the apex of an overhand throw, (b) the wrist flops to control spin and accelerate the knife, (c) the knife is held with a three-finger wrap grip with index finger on the spine, and (d) the knife slides from the hand.

(2) Russian style. Distinguishing characteristics are (a) the arm moves in a whip motion; the hand generally stays at or below head level, (b) the 'snap' (whip motion) controls the spin and accelerates the knife, (c) the knife is held with a three-finger wrap grip with index finger on the spine, and (d) the knife slides from the hand.

(3) Mumyou-Ryu (Houzan Suzuki) style. Distinguishing characteristics are (a) the arm moves in upward arc resembling a high-5; the hand generally stays at or below head level and moves straight forward until release, (b) the wrist is much stiffer than other no-spin methods, (c) the knife is held with a thumb/middle-finger sandwich with the index finger on the spine, and (d) the knife is released rather abruptly.

I've always thrown with the Mumyou-Ryu (MR) grip - I'm just now learning to throw with the three-finger wrap grip. One of my problems is that I often don't have enough spin to stick knives at close distances (under 12 feet). I find that the three-finger-wrap grip helps me to get MORE spin than the MR grip, so I use the three-finger wrap for close ranges.

I also find that I must throw large knives (over 12") with the Thorn style. I think a large knife has too much mass and size for the Russian method to work properly - because the Russian method relies on a rapid change in direction and speed. Throwing a large knife with the Russian style is like trying to use a heavy chain as a whip.

So I'm mixing and matching various grips and techniques, depending on weapon and range - but it is all no-spin.

Like I said, my description of no-spin techniques is simplified. If you dig into the details, you'll find that there is a lot of cross-over between the methods - every thrower is going to do what I do to some extent (adjust their technique to get results). Houzan has dozens of sub-techniques that he considers distinct, but seem indistinguishable to the casual observer. Similarly, on the topic of Russian throwing, if you watch videos of Fedin and videos of Ahmadu, they seem like very different methods. So don't let me give you the impression that any of this is black-and-white.

here is another more recent video[video=youtube;RzA3rXRrVAM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzA3rXRrVAM[/video]

I like to spin throw for now, but after reading P.B's reply, I am looking forward to the day I really commit to learning no spin. I finally have some good knives for practice, but the privacy of 'missing and clanging' in my little closed in neighborhood backyard makes it difficult to practice without being pressured not to miss and make noise/send knives sailing..lol
I have a friend that lives close by with land, and I try no spin from time to time there. But so far I am spin throwing.

Right now I'm starting off with the Mountain Man Spin throws. Have to crawl before I can walk.

I hear that... I tried to run even before walking.. fell down.. :eek: Now I'm back and up to walking. No running for me. Walking is just fine.. So far so good... :)

I spin throw with my small knives(8in.) and no spin my larger ones.Wait, make that small knife, I just lost one in the swamp.

I've found I can half spin pretty much anything at about 15 feet with a 95% success rate of a "center of mass" stick,kitchen knives, screwdrivers, etc. I can full spin up to about 20 feet to a maximum range of maybe 10 yards with declining success. the thorn style looks intriguing, but I lack decent enough steel to really get into it much,eveything i throw is either mass produced stuff from China or homeade or just something that "feels right".

Back