What to Carry in the Philippines

1.pocket flashlight to use as pocket stick
2.pepperspary
illegal at your discretion
3.quick foldable blade
4.snub nose hammerless .357 with fed hydrashoks

I carried an Endura last time I was there.

Ang_Panday said:
Also Philippines is very safe :thumbup: It is just that our media here is very irresponsible:barf: Bad news is good business. They give so much media attention on petty crimes:thumbdn: They put it on the headlines as if it is really a war zone here :jerkit:

Believing someplace is "safe" and one won't be attacked is a good way to get attacked. Most people have the "it won't happen to me" attitude. I've never had any confrontations get physical (outside of work) in the US, but I won't say the US is safe so I won't carry a gun.

My family's compound was besieged during the MNLF invasion of Zamboanga in 2001, so I've got different ideas of whether it is safe or not. An Endura won't be much use against groups with automatic weapons, though. What is "legal" also seems to be not as black and white as in America.

RenegadeMonk, one point I'd suggest is to travel with your relatives in a group. As your relatives are more familiar with the local scene, they would know where you can go, and places not to go.

That way, if you do get in a bad situation, you won't be by yourself. You're less likely to get lost as well.

I've been to the Philippines on and off for the last twenty years or so, usually in and around metro Manila. Although a friend of mine did describe a hairy story once, I personally have no horror stories to speak of.

I'm not saying that bad things don't happen, or have never happened there. I just don't think it's any more common than you might expect anywhere else in an urban setting in the U.S.

Personally, I'd avoid carrying a knife with me to the PI. It's just way to easy to buy one once you get there, there's no need to deal with any hassle bringing it with you on the plane. Once you get ready to leave at the end of the trip, you can just give it away, or ditch it.

RenegadeMonk, one point I'd suggest is to travel with your relatives in a group. As your relatives are more familiar with the local scene, they would know where you can go, and places not to go.

That way, if you do get in a bad situation, you won't be by yourself. You're less likely to get lost as well.

I do it every time I'm there. :)

I've been to the Philippines on and off for the last twenty years or so, usually in and around metro Manila. Although a friend of mine did describe a hairy story once, I personally have no horror stories to speak of.

Good to hear! :)

I'm not saying that bad things don't happen, or have never happened there. I just don't think it's any more common than you might expect anywhere else in an urban setting in the U.S.

You are right to an extent. Gang murders happen in the US...Gang murders happen in the Philippines. That is true. However, I've noticed that local LEO's are A) Incredibly corrupt B) Can't really control the crime down there anyway. Also, the situations my family has dealt with in the PI are usually armed hijackings (my aunt was in a public bus and 6 guys held up the bus with pistols, and they beat one of the passengers senseless before they left), and gang assaults (the death of my cousin in the beginning of this thread). I'm not saying the PI is some kind of shithole...I love my country. All I'm curious about is what people choose to carry while they are over there.

Personally, I'd avoid carrying a knife with me to the PI. It's just way to easy to buy one once you get there, there's no need to deal with any hassle bringing it with you on the plane. Once you get ready to leave at the end of the trip, you can just give it away, or ditch it.

Well, if I buy a knife there, it's probably gonna be a Balisong lol...and I'm definitely gonna bring it back to the US with me anyway. I'll probably carry my Endura going there. Also, where my mother is from, local people carry Bolos on their waist a lot...so when I go there, I don't think I should have a problem with my Endura clipped to my pocket. If all else fails, I still have my improvised EDC: A bandanna with a padlock/roll or quarters/rock in it (Trapo, a home made sap device), my handy metal pen, and my Inova X5 LED flashlight (one of the best pocket sticks on the market).

~Mike

The last time I went home was in 2002. Security was a issue for myself as well as it was my first time back since leaving as a child, and I was returning with a wife (Canadian, which seems to equal rich to many locals even though we are far from) and child. My family in Manila has had the unfortunate personal experiences ranging from muggings to kidnappings, to the murder of my grandparents. Basically this is what I did.

- From Toronto to the Philippines I kept on hand a sharp pencil or pen handy. As well as a heavy padlock attached to a short rope in my back pocket. Prior to entering security checkpoints I would make sure the rope was removed and the lock was attached to my carry on.

- In the Philippines I quickly purchased a balisong which I was able to quickly touch up with a diamond hone I took with me. This was also helpful as all of my relatives seem determined to never sharpen a kitchen knife EVER. The pen and padlock also continued to travel with me.

- If you want to carry a knife of some type just bring a diamond hone and buy whatever you want there. Knives (or swords, sticks, brass and other knuckles, sprays, and much more for that matter) can be found at low cost (not low quality) easily.

- I we never went anywhere without family. No flashy clothes, bags, jewelry etc. No one went solo to public washrooms at any time. Come to think of it no one went solo anywhere at any time period.

- Did not act like a A$$ at anytime to anyone, and kept to ourselves for the most part.

The outcome of the trip was that we went everywhere in the city. Made a road trip to Bageau (sp?) which took us through many rural areas and up to the mountains. You don’t have to be paranoid, just stay aware. We all hade a awesome time and cant wait for a return trip. Be safe and have fun. Don’t forget to let us know what you being back. For me I came back with enough Ironwood arnis sticks to glue back into a reasonable facsimile of a tree!!!

Do you guys know if ninja stars are illegal here? I have some ninja stars, but i don't carry then outside of my home because i don't know if they're illegal or not.

BTW, what about tactical folders, are those illegal to carry too?

Last time i checked, the knife laws here are too vague. Noting specific.

And yes, i'm from the Philippines. Lived here all my life.

When I lived in the Philippines, I never had a confrontation. I am smarter now though and I always wound carry a knife and maybe a flahslight for pommeling. But I really wouldn't get too worked up. And I am not sure about the laws there. I have heard different variations from different people. The police there are so corrupt there that I am sure if they caught with any knife, they would haul you in to get paid.
Just go and be inconspicuous. Don't even wear your nice, clean Nike's. Bring a knife or two and you will be fine.

InspectorTrue said:
Do you guys know if ninja stars are illegal here? I have some ninja stars, but i don't carry then outside of my home because i don't know if they're illegal or not.

You'll have to check your local laws. When I was there in 1999 I saw them for sale at Manila Midtown (a mall/hotel for those who've never been there.) They were not designed well and even good shuriken are only distraction weapons, so it would be better to choose something else even if they are legal. I'm pretty good at using them and they are legal to carry here in Arizona (so are guns :D ) but I don't carry them unless I'm brining them to class for some reason.

If you want something that's discreet and can reach out and touch someone I'd say a double roller timing chain from a tractor made into a belt...... It's just that I doubt anyone would notice...

Back