what to do now!

txlazer

Banned

I have taken apart a Microtech L-UDT it was gray finished and had a bead blasted blade.

I've put a satin finish on both the blade and handles and removed the rubber inserts.
Here's the question

What should I use in replace of the rubber inserts, I tryed to carve out some cherry inserts it doesn't look very good. I went to a jeweler and asked if he could pour some 10k gold in, he said it will fall out as soon as it cools.

Then I went to Hobby Lobby and looked at some clear epoxy and was going to add some kind of colorant or gliter(the knife when done will be for my wife).... HELP I'M LOST.

Does anyone have any IDEAS????

Thanks Gregg

Well YOU DID IT NOW
You could try putting a peice of paper on top of it and streching it tight , then rub it with your finger around the pocket area. It will give you a very close tracing of the hole. Then try cutting and shaping a new insert after gluing it to the material of choice. It is posible to pour the gold in . You have to undercut the sides first to hold it in place after cooling.. The trick is to heat the frames before pouring so they shrink together.. BUT they are alum
opps forget that... Well pour it full of goo and glitter I guess. Just undercut the frame first so it stays..OR pour it full of latex (DICK BLICK HAS IT) moulding compound (use mould release first on the frame) then pop them out, take them to a goldsmith and have him make a wax, then pour them in silver or gold. Then epoxy them in place after finishing them..

Thank you Darrel,

How would i undercut the handle(with a dremel tool and tiny round cutting head)
Better yet who can i send this weekend project to
to get completed
I've got ten other L-udt's maybe i should just give the misses another one
BTW after useing 400 grit sand paper and being amazed at how good it looked (I said what the hay lets try something) I took my trusty dremel tool out and started to buff out the handles and them babys are looking real pretty -what do you think satin or mirror? on the handles -remember the wife will carry it in her bag in a sheath

A satin or mirror finished blade and handle would be, in the words of Eric Cartman, "Shweeeeeeet"!

Lord knows it would handsomely complement any of the others in your collection.

Let us know how the process goes, because I have been contemplating doing that myself if I ever get another one, or doing it to my SOCOM.

Spark

To undercut the side plates just take a cut off wheel ans just touch it in 4 place around the knife in the bottom of the pocket . Make sure the cuts are brelow the surface of the pocket. They only need to be .005 DP Just touch them for second .. . Your Jeweler friend could do the whole thing for ya . Just give him the process. Pour the latex,Wax it, glue it in, finish it.. I would go with the 400-700 grit satin finish..

Back