What to do?

What do you do when you have an Armoralleather sheath and no knife for it?

You start to make a knife that will fit it.

IMG_3477.jpg

Holy Crap! I like what I am seeing so far!! Please, PLEASE do post progress pics!

I do like what I am seeing so far, and might be hitting you up for some mangled steel someday. :)

Im pretty sure this sheath was for a Satin Jack Tac. I had ordered some D2 and didnt think about the width of the steel fitting the sheath until I gave it a try.The retaining strap might be a little long depending how I make the handle. I have to drop the D2 off at heat treat this week so Ill take more pics when I get it finished.

Nice thing about that strap design is all you have to do is tell me how much shorter you need one and I'll make you one. :D

For those who are confused, there are snaps on both sides of the reversible sheath here, its an easy fix to replace a cut or destroyed strap.

I do believe that one was for a Satin Jack Tac, iirc, ooooooh! D2 is my second favorite behind A2! I'm a simple steel fan, no fancy stainless for me. :)

First time working with D2, very easy steel to work with. Ive only bought steel from two places and neither carry A2 as far as I know.

A friend of mine down here used to work with it fairly often, he said A2 was easy to work as well, and air hardening (whatever that is :p ) is a nice thing as well apparently.

D2 in my experience is superior for a slicer, keeps an edge for a very long time. I look forward to seeing this one.

Well I screwed up the knife, getting close to being done and messed up bad on the swedge I was trying to put on it. Ill take a partial pic tomorrow because I threw some handles on it anyway but doesnt look very good.

Sneaky! :p

I love the look of the handle though. :) Does the strap fit, or do you need a shorter one?

Well Its going to have to be shorter for sure but first I need to get thicker steel because after grinding everything down the .177 thickness isnt thick enough after everthing is said and done. To much movement in the sheath now. Ill have to start of with something around .22, which I think the SJtacs are.

Heres a longer version of what it was supposed to look like except with a swedge which I didnt add to this one.

s1.jpg

Back