What to Look for in a Rescue Knife

Ming65 said:
I rescued a seagull with my Pacific Salt last night. The bird had got one wing so badly entangled in fishing line it looked like it had been bound to it's body. The snub nosed P-Salt was perfect for sliding under the line and cutting.

Hmmm, car based rescue? Some sort of prybar type entry tool or perhaps the Cold Steel SRK.

Weird. I once rescued a Starling tangled in fishing line with a Spyderco Rescue.

Ideally you should not be using an open blade in the close proximity of a casualty.
Professional organizations will use a safety-type blade or EMT shears for seat belts, straps and clothing.

When I started my career as a firefighter I bought a Spyderco Rescue, but I found I often needed a sharp tip for general use.
I now carry a plain edged Spyderco Endura for general cutting and a ResQMe for clothing/straps and breaking vehicle glass.

(and a Res-Q-Me would have been the ideal tool to rescue that Starling)

Esav Benyamin said:
That Rescue Heat is a new one on me, Holger. Thanks for pointing it out. NICE looking knife. Compact, lightweight, non-threatening.

Esav, I wasn't aware of this one either. Either it's a very new model or very old model ;) I had never seen one. Darrel sent it to me to give to my daughter's boyfriend to try out. The serrations in the photo don't show up very well - they are WICKED. Like most EMS guys, he uses blunt shears 98% of the time, but when he needs to call on this one - look out, one slice! :thumbup:

Steven Andrews said:
Weird. I once rescued a Starling tangled in fishing line with a Spyderco Rescue.

Very good Karma, rescuing a bird. So I'm told.......

I, along quite a few members of my fire department, carry a Spyderco Rescue on the outside of our gear. They are easy to hold on to, easy to open and will cut through just about anything. Beside being very efficient, they are also reasonably cheap, so if you lose it at a fire or emergency scene replacing it won't be such a big deal.

Back