What to look for

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Lindey, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Lindey

Lindey

Apr 13, 2005
    Hello everyone, I hope I'm not hijacking your forum in any way but you seem to be the go to guys for khukri information. Anyway, I recently seen a local classified for a khukri. Since I have yet to add one to my collection I figured it's worth following up on. Anyway, when I called the seller the only information he could give me was that it was very old. Looking at the pic, it looked to be relatively used, the handle had brass fittings in it, and it still has its original leather sheath but no karda or chakmak. I'm not sure of the blade steel. its length or thickness but it does have the kaura notched in the blade just above the handle. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow and the price seems right but I was wondering if there is anything in particular I should look for since the seller knows nothing about it? Also, many appologies for any improper use of lingo. Thanks and take care.

-Lindey

2. M. Taylor

M. Taylor

Dec 4, 2005
    Take some pictures of it and post them up on a website for us. There are some very knowledgeable people here (I don't consider myself one :) ) who will most likely be able to help.

3. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Does it, by chance, have a lion in half-relief on the butt?

There are lots of old -- ahemmm -- modest-quality khukuri out there. Tourist models have poured forth from India for generations. (Lord knows, I bought a few in the process of trying to learn.)

4. Svashtar

Svashtar

Dec 28, 2003
    Hey, I have a bunch of those! No modest quality here, there are really rare models stamped "Made in India" with a big cat's head on the pommel. Actually, one of them kinda looks like a camel, but what do I know. A rare snag indeed! I didn't want to brag too much about them, because at $300 each I figured you guys would be really envious of my khuk sharking skills. :D

I'm having custom velvet and rhinestone studded scabbards made for them, and then will mount in an expensive display case. :thumbup:

I might be willing to trade for some plain old HI stuff if anyone is interested?:)

Let me know and you could be one of the lucky guys who gets one!

Norm

5. ferguson

ferguson

Feb 21, 2001
    Here are a couple of examples of what NOT to buy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. ferguson

ferguson

Feb 21, 2001
    Here are some that aren't too bad.

Steve

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Someone seems to be underutilizing the "Irony" smily. :D

8. Lindey

Lindey

Apr 13, 2005
    Thanks for the info so far folks. I imagine I'm most likely stumbling across oe of those Indian touris pieces but the guy is only asking $30 Can. so it is likely I could get it for less. Might be a fun fixer-upper. I'll let you know what I find tomorrow. BTW, what is a good thickness? Thanks again, take it easy.

PS- Svashtar, if by chance this is one of those fancy cat pommeled treasures, I'll do you a solid and let you have it for $150.

-Lindey

9. jmings

jmings

Aug 20, 2005
    Not too bad, eh?
    ROFL!

Sometimes, Steve, you slay me :D
    You got some of those from John Powell?

Want to hear about my villiager Borneo barung?

10. J W Kilpatrick

J W Kilpatrick

Aug 11, 2001
    Greetings: Lindey
    As most of us probably know, the heart of the khukri, knife or sword is in the type of blade steel and the proper tempering of the blade steel, from which the khukri, knife or sword is made.

Unless the guy is Santa Claus, an idiot, or a very close friend, you are not going to get a khukri or sword with high quality blade steel for thirty dollars.

I myself cannot see wasting my money on junk quality blades. However, we all make our own choices and decisions in life.

You will not go wrong by saving your money and buying a Himilayan Imports Khukri. Himalayan Imports Khukris are made from a steel the same as, or similar to 5160 steel, which is an excellent steel and when properly tempered will hold a sharp edge very well and cannot be eaisly broken. When you own a Himalayan Imports khukri, you have a khukri with a very high quality steel blade that is hand forged and properly tempered. This information is not only my opinion but it is also the truth.

J. W. Kilpatrick

11. J W Kilpatrick

J W Kilpatrick

Aug 11, 2001
    Lindey,

This is J. W. Kilpatrick here, again.

If you are set on spending your thirty dollars on junk khukris, I suggest that you go to eBay and buy the same quality junk khukri for ten dollars and save yourself twenty dollars. You can always get junk khukris real cheap on eBay.

If you think that I am trying to insult you by my comments, that is not the case at all. I am simply trying to save you money, brother.

J. W. Kilpatrick

12. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    Well J.W. could be right but then again it may be a really damned fine khukuri and the guy just doesn't know what he has. I bought a really damned nice Keris out of an antique store, no less, for only $22.50, they just didn't know what they had!!!! :eek:
    I also bought a damned nice African hand forged sword with the then wooden sheath covered with even thinner leather that looks as if it were sewn with braided grass for $20.00 out of another antique store, again he just didn't know what he had.:thumbup: :D :cool:
    There's a lot of times when you can run across a real bargain and that may be what you've stumbled onto.
    On the other hand it could be as J.W. has said and be a piece of tourist junk.
    But by comparing the khuks that Steve posted with the one you're looking at you have a greater chance of not getting burned and that's why you asked here in the first place ainnit.;) :thumbup: :cool:

13. Lindey

Lindey

Apr 13, 2005
    Hey there all,
    No need to worry there JR, no offence taken at all. I completely agree with you that good steel is key with any blade. The reviews and pics definately make the HI's very appealing but with being a recent graduate, student loans and just starting a new job my knife budget is a bit short so I figured if I had a shot at something relatively useable for a decent price then why not. My Becker Brute serves me just fine for chopping and what not but I am definately curious as to how a khukri compares as a good bush/camp knife.

I was kinda hoping though that this fellow just didn't know what he had as Yvsa has experienced. It has been known to happen, my grandmother would have sold my grandfather's WWII Kabar MK-II UDT model for $5 at a yard sale if i didn't take it off her hands. UNfortunately this wasn't even worth the gas. SUre enough it had a deformed lion on the pommel and a big ol' India stamp on the blade. Regardless of your tips I wouldn't have paid 10 for this one. I'll be sure to keep this info in mind next time I'm passing through a pawnshop or antique store though. Take care all.

-Lindey

14. ferguson

ferguson

Feb 21, 2001
    Hi Jmings. No, all of these were Ebay finds. I have a couple that came from JP though.

Sure, love to see a barung from Borneo.

Steve

15. jmings

jmings

Aug 20, 2005
    Discussion #1
    Discussion #2

[​IMG]
    I haden't recieved it at the time of the above discussion, but it has distal taper! The sweet spot is worn down and I've not tried etching it (not yet at least).
    The wear suggests a villager barung, but the stand is of non-traditional construction technique suggesting a tourist piece. At least it was a good price. I'm happy so far.

Jerry The Dinosaur Mings

16. Svashtar

Svashtar

Dec 28, 2003
    Steve, you have such an instinct for this stuff! I would have loved to have snagged any one of those, and never would have thought to contact JP in any case. Still and all I've done enough damage to my finances as it is buying knives and certainly can do without more! :eek:

Once I get solvent again though I am going to spend a lot more time searching ebay for beauties like these. I'll probably end up with some junk, but guess that's a fair price for learning!

Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics.

Norm

17. Svashtar

Svashtar

Dec 28, 2003
    Dang, half price! I'm there man, thanks! :D I'll put it in the Jungle Room with my Elvis prints...

18. J W Kilpatrick

J W Kilpatrick

Aug 11, 2001
    Greetings: Yvsa
    Top of the morning to you. It is very good to see you posting here and I sure hope that you are feeling well on this fine Sunday morning.

Anyone that sold you a genuine keris for $22.50 and a genuine African hand forged sword for $20.00 should at least be considered being classified as an idiot or maybe they were just old retired construction managers with a lot of brain damage.

What do you think? Do you think there could be any other possible explanations of being an idiot or an old retired brain damaged construction manager, to account for such behavior and personal conduct?

Maybe there is one other explanation------ that being that not everyone on this earth is as intelligent and brilliant as you and I, when it comes to sifting out and distinguishing the genuine from the counterfeit in reference to fine steel blades. He,he,he. J. W. Kilpatrick

19. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Steve,..... drooling here.

20. Eric006

Eric006

Apr 5, 2006
    I went to a local gun & knife show this afternoon. I was curious to see if anyone had any khukuris on display. I saw a few used ones (one stamped as made in India, another with an animal head on the butt) and a couple of Cold Steel and Kabar models (if these can properly be called khukuris), but nothing to write home about. I'll save my money for the good stuff.

Eric