What tool is best for cutting chain link fence?

I know that you wouldn't use a knife for this, but I'm looking for a tool which can cut through chain link fencing quickly but that is also fairly light and compact.

I am considering the "commando wire cutters" from Brigade Quartermaste. Does anyone have any experience with these? They seem a little pricey and I'm wondering how well they work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, I have used bolt cutters before but they are slow, and the ones I use are too big. If bolt cutters are the answer, what is the smallest size that will be effective.

Thanks

Klein tool co. makes a large pair of pliar's/side cutters that do the job nicely. Smaller than bolt cutters, and handy for lots of things.
Available at electrition supply stores.

Steve,
Are you installing the fence?
If you are just unhook the top and bottom "fasteners" and "unscrew" one of the links.

------------------
Dwight

It's a fine line between "a hobby" and "mental illness".

Sounds to me like your preparing for your "Big Escape"!!!
wink.gif

I've got a pair of 4ft bolt cutters that work well. I've used some that were about 2ft too.

------------------
Fix it right the first time, use Baling Wire !

I'll second the vote for the Klein side cutters. When you're at the electrical supply store, ask them for the accessory red grips. You boil them for a minute and slide them on (after peeling off the factory grips). They make a great tool even better (more comfortable, and better volt protection to boot!)

I agree with Matt - I've used small 18" bolt cutters for chainlink fences. The bolt cutters will also cut the vertical stretcher bars with a little muscle.
biggrin.gif

You guys have a part number on those Klein side cutters, and boots? Never used them, but I don't need an excuse for a new tool - as long as it CUTS.
smile.gif

------------------
Ray 'md2020'

Ray-I've called them "Number Nines" for so long now I don't know what the cat number is. There are a couple different versions; one has a fish-tape gripping capability, etc. I've got the catalog at my office, I'll check it out Monday and shoot you an email.
Paul

Rescue saw works just dandy. Cuts through chain link, concrete, steel doors, whatever you want... pretty quick too.

Spark

Steve: Obviously any kind of wire cutter or bolt cutter is good. If you are thinking about a knife the special operations utility knife by United Cutlery works well. It cuts each line in about 5 seconds (I know) and still can be worn on your belt. Hope this helps.

Doug

Back