What Traditional Knives Should I Take on My Alaska Moose Hunt?

Which knives should I take? Please choose at least one Fixed Blade and Folder

• Mora Companion Stainless

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Bruce Culberson Cocobolo Kephart Style Necker in 5160

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Self Made 1095 Fixed Blade

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • GEC 65 Black Gold Acrylic Ben Hogan

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • GEC 45 Pioneer Muscle Bone Lumberjack 2016 Rendezvous Special

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • GEC 98 Cranberry Jigged Bone Texas Camp Knife

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Queen 11 Utility Trapper

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Remington R1273 Master Guide

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Rough Rider Copper Moose

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Victorinox Huntsman (modified)

Votes: 24 54.5%

• Total voters
So an Alaskan Moose hunt fell into my lap! I will be going with my father and brother for a hunting, camping, and fishing trip next month, and would like your input on which traditional knives I should bring.

I don't see much need for a modern knife, though I carry them almost daily, as concealability is not a concern. I'd much rather carry a traditional fixed blade and traditional folder.

I thought it'd be interesting and helpful to ask for all you good folks' opinions on what I should take! I will be rafting to track, hiking, camping almost a full two weeks, and field dressing whatever we take with the tools I have. We might do some fishing also. Of course, anything we hunt or fish depends on getting the appropriate tags/licenses.

My whole collection is up for choosing, but right now I'm leaning towards:

- Blind Horse Knives Outdoorsman reground by Razor Edge Knives as my primary fixed blade (definitely taking this one)
- Mora Companion as backup fixed blade
- Self Made Knife as my last resort fixed blade
- Rough Rider Copper Moose as beater all around knife
- GEC Texas Camp Knife as EDC knife for camp stuff (although I do worry that it's difficult to open the blade if my thumb nail breaks or is short)

I'm very interested in seeing your choices, so please vote! Thanks for looking and wish me luck!

tnazw4rh.jpg

PSYx2w6h.jpg

This is the Rough Rider that is on its way to me right now:

The Rough Rider Moose (How can you hunt moose without a moose pattern pocketknife in your pocket? :) )
A Marbles or Rough Rider large Toothpick with fish scaler
Your stated choices of fixed blades or a Buck 103
The Texas Camp Knife is a good choice -- unless you have to fight it to open the blades. If that is the case, I would suggest a different camp/scout knife with an easier pull.
I would add an ULU for skinning the moose, and whatever else you may bag.
I think I would also bring a large Stockman, like the 4 inch plus Rough Riders, or Old Timer 858OT/858OTB or a Buck 301 or 371. Of course the large stockman is part of my EDC, I feel naked without it. At any rate, it can carve you a nice spoon or fork while sitting around the camp fire while feeding the mosquitoes. (I've heard the mosquito is Alaska's state bird) :)

Congratulations L.H.S. - what an amazing trip you have ahead of you.

Nice choice on the reground Blind Horse as your main sheath knife.

I voted for -

Mora Companion Stainless - because you could probably get by with this alone (and maybe a dedicated skinner too). Moras are also the perfect loaner knife when you're in camp or hunting with other people. No need to worry too much how they treat it. And stainless 12C27 bladesteel is one less thing to worry about - it's used in industrial abattoirs, and will retain a fine edge longer than carbon steel in wet environments, or when covered with acidic fluids, like plant sap, or blood.

Your self made 1095 necker -
It's light, doesn't take up pocket, belt, or pack space, and would be a nice knife related conversation starter around the campfire at night. Also, in a trip like yours, you'll have plenty of opportunity to test out blades, other than your primary knife, on different non time-critical tasks. So you'll really get a chance to work with it in some different situations to normal, and find out what works well, and what you might potentially improve.

Queen Utility Trapper -
Perfect pocket knife for your trip really. And D2 for edge retention, and a bit of corrosion resistance too. I like about a 600grit edge on D2 for skinning heavy bodied Sambar deer, with thick fur.

Victorinox Huntsman -
A go-to tool chest in your pocket. A saw for notching, hook for pulling up tentstakes, can opener for lifting pots and lids off the fire, corkscrew into trees as a tie point for tarps, plus scissors and awl should you need them. And if you have those other knives, the SAK blades are good to use for hack work, and restore to razor sharp, quickly and easily.

Personally, I will usually have this GEC 53 Stockman with me, when out in the bush camping, hiking, or hunting, as well as my Adam Parker Loveless DP style, fixed blade in S30V steel, and a straight edged blade, like a Lambsfoot knife.

I'll usually have a Pioneer, or Huntsman in my pack too.

IMG_5997.JPG IMG_6007.JPG

Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing some pics in the Huntin With Traditionals thread, if you have time, when you get back!

I am in the Yukon, right next to Alaska. Moose season is starting here as well.

I like to have a large folder for everything camp related. Whittling, cutting rope, slicing apples and potatoes, etc. For this I voted yor Queen trapper. Corrosion resistance and edge holding for a couple weeks of constant use while in a damp pocket all day every day.

As much as i want to say the Texas Camp Knife, I would take the Victorinox. When fingers are wet and cold, a bear trap spring makes these knives near useless. A couple small backup blades add some versatility not to mention the other tools that come on it. Its saw will be very nice if the moose goes down in the willow. Very corrosion resistant, very handy and easy to replace if it happens to go missing, this is what I would have in my jacket pocket while out hunting.

Lastly the backup fixed blade I chose the Mora. Light, easy to replace and very visible against the colors of the forest, the mora will be an excellent game dressing companion for your primary fixed blade. Stainless steel and plastic sheath need a quick rinse in the stream cleans it up and if you accidentally forget to give it a good cleaning until you are back home, no big deal. A good loaner blade for a buddy to show how knives can really cut

Enjoy the trip. It is beautiful country.

The Rough Rider Moose (How can you hunt moose without a moose pattern pocketknife in your pocket? :) )
A Marbles or Rough Rider large Toothpick with fish scaler
Your stated choices of fixed blades or a Buck 103
The Texas Camp Knife is a good choice -- unless you have to fight it to open the blades. If that is the case, I would suggest a different camp/scout knife with an easier pull.
I would add an ULU for skinning the moose, and whatever else you may bag.
I think I would also bring a large Stockman, like the 4 inch plus Rough Riders, or Old Timer 858OT/858OTB or a Buck 301 or 371. Of course the large stockman is part of my EDC, I feel naked without it. At any rate, it can carve you a nice spoon or fork while sitting around the camp fire while feeding the mosquitoes. (I've heard the mosquito is Alaska's state bird) :)

I thought about an Ulu, but I don't think I'd carry it and it'd end up not getting used. I almost picked up a Rough Rider stockman to bring.

I think it's right around mosquito season too!

Congratulations L.H.S. - what an amazing trip you have ahead of you.

Nice choice on the reground Blind Horse as your main sheath knife.

I voted for -

Mora Companion Stainless - because you could probably get by with this alone (and maybe a dedicated skinner too). Moras are also the perfect loaner knife when you're in camp or hunting with other people. No need to worry too much how they treat it. And stainless 12C27 bladesteel is one less thing to worry about - it's used in industrial abattoirs, and will retain a fine edge longer than carbon steel in wet environments, or when covered with acidic fluids, like plant sap, or blood.

Your self made 1095 necker -
It's light, doesn't take up pocket, belt, or pack space, and would be a nice knife related conversation starter around the campfire at night. Also, in a trip like yours, you'll have plenty of opportunity to test out blades, other than your primary knife, on different non time-critical tasks. So you'll really get a chance to work with it in some different situations to normal, and find out what works well, and what you might potentially improve.

Queen Utility Trapper -
Perfect pocket knife for your trip really. And D2 for edge retention, and a bit of corrosion resistance too. I like about a 600grit edge on D2 for skinning heavy bodied Sambar deer, with thick fur.

Victorinox Huntsman -
A go-to tool chest in your pocket. A saw for notching, hook for pulling up tentstakes, can opener for lifting pots and lids off the fire, corkscrew into trees as a tie point for tarps, plus scissors and awl should you need them. And if you have those other knives, the SAK blades are good to use for hack work, and restore to razor sharp, quickly and easily.

Personally, I will usually have this GEC 53 Stockman with me, when out in the bush camping, hiking, or hunting, as well as my Adam Parker Loveless DP style, fixed blade in S30V steel, and a straight edged blade, like a Lambsfoot knife.

I'll usually have a Pioneer, or Huntsman in my pack too.

View attachment 757929 View attachment 757930

Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing some pics in the Huntin With Traditionals thread, if you have time, when you get back!

All great points. I've been wanting to really use the knife I made a while back. It was heat treated by a generous forum member and I've always thought it seemed like he did a great job.

Logan. Listen. Take me with you.

Haha maybe next time!

I am in the Yukon, right next to Alaska. Moose season is starting here as well.

I like to have a large folder for everything camp related. Whittling, cutting rope, slicing apples and potatoes, etc. For this I voted yor Queen trapper. Corrosion resistance and edge holding for a couple weeks of constant use while in a damp pocket all day every day.

As much as i want to say the Texas Camp Knife, I would take the Victorinox. When fingers are wet and cold, a bear trap spring makes these knives near useless. A couple small backup blades add some versatility not to mention the other tools that come on it. Its saw will be very nice if the moose goes down in the willow. Very corrosion resistant, very handy and easy to replace if it happens to go missing, this is what I would have in my jacket pocket while out hunting.

Lastly the backup fixed blade I chose the Mora. Light, easy to replace and very visible against the colors of the forest, the mora will be an excellent game dressing companion for your primary fixed blade. Stainless steel and plastic sheath need a quick rinse in the stream cleans it up and if you accidentally forget to give it a good cleaning until you are back home, no big deal. A good loaner blade for a buddy to show how knives can really cut

Enjoy the trip. It is beautiful country.

Oh awesome! I definitely appreciate your suggestions.

Great points on the Victorinox and Mora

Bring any and all the fixed blades you can manage, they are always useful.

As far as folders are concerned, bring something that

1) will be useful enough to actually be used
2) will become special to you because of the adventure

You will likely treasure the knife and the memories associated with the hunt and being able to carry it from time to time will be even cooler so pick something that you feel best sums up the task ahead of you and stick with it!

Matt

Man sounds like a great 2 weeks in the bush. I'd take mora and the Texas camp or victorinox.

If you take the 45, make sure to take lots of pictures. Don't see many action shots of those big guys...
My vote is for the mora, the homemade, the Vic, and a toss up between the camp knife and the trapper for the 4th.

Since your taking the blind horse I would take a knife that can be used as a caper. Anything small Turkish clip style maybe your slimline trapper queen. In fact if you know how moose joints are held together, you can quarter a moose with a 66 or 53 muskrat or an 81 muskrat.
Ideally, I'd have three knives:
A drop point fixed of 4" length,
A skinning knife like the BRKT wolf river
And
A caper like GEC #20 muskrat clip
And a folding bone saw
And a hone or strop......

You will love Alaska. It is beautiful. See if you can make it to Denali National Park!

Some pics from our trip up there a few years back:
3707811365_624c2e22ac_b.jpg

3707888793_98935ca86b_b.jpg

3708772414_b0213a7383_b.jpg

3708824032_4c99740518_b.jpg

3708965846_7e421ffe92_b.jpg

3707795089_57388a470e_b.jpg

3708718948_8e11c735f6_b.jpg

3708734418_f789f725d1_b.jpg

Wow, incredible pictures! I didn't have time to make it to Denali, but hopefully I will one day.

If it were me, I would take a Case #54 Trapper with cv blades. A victorinox Huntsman or Fieldmaster, I would personally choose the Fieldmaster. And a Buck Vanguard, everything I need, nothing i dont.

Well, it was an odyssey.

I ended up taking:

- Blind Horse Knives Woodsman Pro
- Mora Companion
- Self Made Fixed Blade
- GEC Texas Camp Knife
- Rough Rider Moose Knife
- Queen Utility Trapper
- Victorinox Huntsman

I used all of them but the Texas Camp Knife and Huntsman in butchering the Moose. It was a heck of a job, but carrying it was unreal. Thankfully we had a maniac of a pilot who was able to land and get it all out. I can't wait to eat the meat and see the antlers!

The Texas Camp Knife was my..... camp knife. I used it for mostly everything at camp. The Huntsman was my backup, I usually had it with me incase I lost or damaged my main knife. I ended up using the saw a lot on this trick, cutting poles for wind ribbons and clearing bushed for a landing strip.

Here is an Imgur album with a good number of pictures and short descriptions to give you an idea of the trip overall:

https://imgur.com/a/ubQ0v

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Just read your linked trip report, what an amazing adventure you had.:cool::):thumbsup:

Thanks for the great write up, and photos as well.

That bull moose was huge, it really did seem like a modern day relic of ancient megafauna!

The fishing was obviously none too shabby either. What knife/knives did you end up using to gut and dress the fish?

How did your self made 1095 necker perform? Did you get any valuable insights regarding what worked well in the design, and what potentially might be improved?

Also, I'm interested in what sharpening gear you brought along. If I'm travelling light, I usually just take a couple strips of fine wet'n'dry sandpaper and a strip of pasted denim to use as a hanging strop. If I'm going to have a vehicle nearby, I take a ceramic 'steel', or the Sharpmaker.

Having to float and paddle downstream so far, to get out, just capped off the epic nature of your odyssey.

Interesting to hear your Dad spent time opal mining in Australia, too. Coober Pedy, I guess?:)

Also, I have to ask: what did you use to take that moose?

(It'd be great to have a link to your album in the Huntin' With Your Traditional Knives thread, as well if you have time.)

Back