what type of carbon steel does helle and mora use?

The local made mora steel. I believe that's why the knives have such a quality reputation.

-Freq

The SS line of Frosts sports Sandvik 12C27, HRC 58-59. The carbon steel Frosts uses is Uddeholm UHB 20C (eq. to AISI 1095), cold rolled and heat treated to 59-61 HRC. Other carbon steel used: German C.D. Wälzholz-Brockhaus GmbH CK 101 and CK 95, cold rolled, HRC 60.

The laminated steel core in models from Frosts are made of Uddeholm 2140 (eq. to AISI O1), HRC 60-62. Outer layer is AISI 420J2.

The standard SS from KJ Eriksson (no longer existing) is Sandvik 12C27M (Modified), HRC 58. The Co changed names and the steel used nowadays is Sandvik 12C27.

KJ's carbon steel was Uddeholm UHB15LM (eq. To AISI 1778) and DIN CK 75/80 (eq. to AISI 1080), both steels HRC 58. Since the Co changed names, these steels have been replaced by Uddeholm UHB 20C (eq. AISI 1095) and C.D. Wälzholz-Brockhaus GmbH CK 101 and CK 95.

The Hultafors SS series is japanese Aichi AUS-8 and the carbon steel variant is SK-5 (eq. to AISI 1080).

The Lindblom knives feature a chinese SS/EN 715 stainless steel. HRC 58-60.

Previously, the blades from Frost were a little bit thinner than those from KJ. Today, they are the same thickness (the thinner variant).

The steel used in Erik Jönsson knives is 1778 (SS 1778) springsteel. No stainless blades are manufactured any longer.

Helle uses Sandvik 12C27 in the SS line and UHB 20C in the carbon blades.

~Paul~

The SS line of Frosts sports Sandvik 12C27, HRC 58-59. The carbon steel Frosts uses is Uddeholm UHB 20C (eq. to AISI 1095), cold rolled and heat treated to 59-61 HRC. Other carbon steel used: German C.D. Wälzholz-Brockhaus GmbH CK 101 and CK 95, cold rolled, HRC 60.

The laminated steel core in models from Frosts are made of Uddeholm 2140 (eq. to AISI O1), HRC 60-62. Outer layer is AISI 420J2.

The standard SS from KJ Eriksson (no longer existing) is Sandvik 12C27M (Modified), HRC 58. The Co changed names and the steel used nowadays is Sandvik 12C27.

KJ's carbon steel was Uddeholm UHB15LM (eq. To AISI 1778) and DIN CK 75/80 (eq. to AISI 1080), both steels HRC 58. Since the Co changed names, these steels have been replaced by Uddeholm UHB 20C (eq. AISI 1095) and C.D. Wälzholz-Brockhaus GmbH CK 101 and CK 95.

The Hultafors SS series is japanese Aichi AUS-8 and the carbon steel variant is SK-5 (eq. to AISI 1080).

The Lindblom knives feature a chinese SS/EN 715 stainless steel. HRC 58-60.

Previously, the blades from Frost were a little bit thinner than those from KJ. Today, they are the same thickness (the thinner variant).

The steel used in Erik Jönsson knives is 1778 (SS 1778) springsteel. No stainless blades are manufactured any longer.

Helle uses Sandvik 12C27 in the SS line and UHB 20C in the carbon blades.

~Paul~

Paul, thank you:thumbup::). I have been wondering what steel was used on the laminated Mora blades for a long time. Finally a name to a face:thumbup:.

thanks dePaul for a comprehensive info.certainly sheds some light on these products.sounds like you know your alloys.

Thanks fellers

I know this is an old thread, but I called Mora regarding the outer laminate on their laminated blades and they said it's common constuction steel.
It's not 420j2 but very low content of carbon.
This means it's a staining steel, but it doesn't get hardened and hence adding to the toughness of the laminated models.
They have both very good edgeholding with the coresteel at hrc 61 and toughness in the the outershell as it's soft and takes a bend without breaking.
It's a Great combo for very little $.

Regards
Mikael

update to old thread....as of Nov27,2013, company production manager states carbon steel is west euro C100, and not swedish, and has been for decades.....their website, as well, only cites the Sandvik stainless as swedish......note also his suprising take on superiority of THEIR stainless over carbon steel...
"The carbon steel we use is according to "C100" (1% carbon) and that is a well-defined knife steel alloy made with good accuracy worldwide.
However we use only carbon steel from European steel mills evaluated over decades (almost centuries). As C100 not is available from Swedish steel mills that is not an option.
The steel mill we use has been our supplier for decades so there is no recent change. Also the overall critical attribute of the knife blade, both for stainless steel blades as well as for carbon steel blades, is achieved inhouse in our factory in Mora Sweden with our own secret recipes for heat treatment, grinding and sharpening.

I agree with you regarding rather using the stainless steel as it takes much more bending force without braking and keep an edge MUCH longer than a carbon steel blade.
Stainless steel is always my first choice. Even though a stainless knife usually is a little bit more expensive you will get much more cutting for the bucks as well as a more carefree knife"

Last edited:
update to old thread....as of Nov27,2013, company production manager states carbon steel is west euro C100, and not swedish, and has been for decades.....their website, as well, only cites the Sandvik stainless as swedish......note also his suprising take on superiority of THEIR stainless over carbon steel...
"The carbon steel we use is according to "C100" (1% carbon) and that is a well-defined knife steel alloy made with good accuracy worldwide.
However we use only carbon steel from European steel mills evaluated over decades (almost centuries). As C100 not is available from Swedish steel mills that is not an option.
The steel mill we use has been our supplier for decades so there is no recent change. Also the overall critical attribute of the knife blade, both for stainless steel blades as well as for carbon steel blades, is achieved inhouse in our factory in Mora Sweden with our own secret recipes for heat treatment, grinding and sharpening.

I agree with you regarding rather using the stainless steel as it takes much more bending force without braking and keep an edge MUCH longer than a carbon steel blade.
Stainless steel is always my first choice. Even though a stainless knife usually is a little bit more expensive you will get much more cutting for the bucks as well as a more carefree knife"

I just can't figure something out... Why did you say that stainless Mora holds an edge longer than carbon ones (carbon tempered to 60HRC, SS to 58-59HRC)?
Everybody else says that it is exactly the opposite...how come? What am I missing?
Thank you for answering.

Back