What type of Honing stone do i need?

I Just bought me two new straight razors from Zeepk. One is sharper than the other. Looks like they had a very rough stone taking to them and no finer finishing stone taking to them. I was wondering if someone could help me in finding the right stone for the job, and possibly where to get it. Thank you for your time.

For a razor, I would go talk to the local barber. :D

Norton combination waterstones, 220/1000 and 4000/8000 should work well along with a high quality barber strop.

For a razor, I would go talk to the local barber. :D

Norton combination waterstones, 220/1000 and 4000/8000 should work well along with a high quality barber strop.

+1

I've used this exact system, and it works beautifully. Most razor metal is pretty soft, so the waterstones will cut very fast. The only thing to watch out for is wear on the spine. Razors are typically hollow-ground in the main body of the blade ... the spine itself determines the sharpening angle. The strop is the workhorse. Only hone when absolutely necessary.

Edit: PS: My straight razor using friends have all bought sets of 7 ... one for each day of the week. They even have soft leather cases, like multi-sheaths, despite the fact that the razors themselves are folders.

you can get a set of cardboard wheels to sharpen your razor with. i have sharpened a friends straight razors for him and a few were even nicked pretty bad. it would only take you a few minutes to go from totally flat edge to shaving sharp in minutes. i have 3 videos showing how easy it is to work up a burr with the wheels if you are interested. stevebot, a member here on bf sells the wheels to members here at a discount. there is a difference in wheels too. koval knives sells cheaper ones and i have a set which i dont like too well. the buffing wheel doesnt do as good a job as the ones steve sells. you can do a search for stevebot using advance search.

The Norton 4000/8000 waterstone is very popular on the straight razor forums. Like sled said, you can't shave comfortably directly off the stone. A leather strop is needed before shaving.

Razors are hard, not soft. They are easier to sharpen because the blade is so thin.
Any fine or reasonably fine stone will work- hard/soft Arkansas, ceramic, etc.
A simple leather strop (it doesn't have to be loaded with polishing compound) will align the edge properly.

Razors are hard, not soft. They are easier to sharpen because the blade is so thin.

I stand corrected, Bill. Thank you. They just seemed soft to me, particularly since an ordinary fine Arkansas stone would sharpen them so quickly.

However, I'll still note the wear problem on the spine, particularly opposite the tip. Every old razor I've ever seen had this sloping flat along the spine.

I Just bought me two new straight razors from Zeepk. One is sharper than the other. Looks like they had a very rough stone taking to them and no finer finishing stone taking to them. I was wondering if someone could help me in finding the right stone for the job, and possibly where to get it. Thank you for your time.
The general consensus on zeepk razors is that their only function is that of a letter opener. The steel is too soft and will actually bend instead of shatter if you drop it and it will not take an edge. You're better off going with a cheap vintage model from ebay and trying to hone it up. Ask on straightrazorplace.com for more informed opinions than mine!

Back