What ultralight spinning reel (trout) do you use?

i just see most higher dollar reels wont have any back play and cheaper reels have that back play. the spirex is a really nice reel, just the backplay part reminds me of cheap reels.

i personally fish a stradic ci4 and the stradic fi both are really nice reels
as for the ultralight rods its a phenix elixir or one of those new gloomis pan fish rods

I used to use a Spirex as my "goto" reel. That was before the instant anti-reverse came out. After using the instant anti-reverse reels I can't go back to the Spirex. But I do love the handle! I use my old Spirex handles on my Sedonas.

But if you don't want instant anti-reverse, its a great reel to go with. P.S. I like the Quick Fire too.

I use either a team diawa (don't remember the model, from the mid 90s) or an old diawa sprinter (older then me, from the 70s). The team diawa one has a butter smooth drag and I use it occasionally for chromers in streams when i'm throwing hardwares. Both are for panfish and stocked trouts mostly, and both are paired with an light action loomis. Wild fish I usually use a fly rod.

IMG00113-20100605-1306.jpg

I use either a team diawa (don't remember the model, from the mid 90s) or an old diawa sprinter (older then me, from the 70s). The team diawa one has a butter smooth drag and I use it occasionally for chromers in streams when i'm throwing hardwares. Both are for panfish and stocked trouts mostly, and both are paired with an light action loomis. Wild fish I usually use a fly rod.

Nothing wrong with old spinning reels. Id love to find a Zebco Cardinal in good condition.

I still have a Shakespeare Sigma Ultrtalight.

Corrected. I dont have that Sigma anymore. Dont know where it is at.

Last edited:
I've got a Shimano Sedona ultralight and love it. I've got 4lb Stren on it. I caught a 5lb channel cat on it Monday while fishing a tiny Rebel Crickethopper. Talk about a suprise while fishing for baby bass and gills....

Almost all of my reels are Daiwa or Shimano. I've got a Mitchell Avocet and a couple of Shakespeare's that the kids have bought me. They do well enough for what I use them for.

i can't believe i'm the only one here with quantum reels.
i've got the catalyst PTi 20 and the xtralight xps00 with an ugly stick lite 5'6" (though i do want a 5' for my xtralite). i switched over from shimano years ago. those quantums are damn good reels IMO.
we were in AK a few years ago canoeing and fishing for salmon. we were catching 12-15 pounders and my catalyst never skipped a beat...

I use a Shimano Super X GTM 1000 (that's a bit of a mouthful to say isn't it?!) and bought lots of spare spools for it.

IMGP0529.jpg

IMGP0494.jpg

Chub, not trout, sorry...

IMGP0523.jpg

Thats a huge Chub! How much does that weigh?

I reckon it was 4lb or so, good fun on a little outfit.
Caught on the river Wharfe with a size 8 hook and a big piece of bread.

Here's another

IMGP0498.jpg

and I've caught the odd bigger one while lure fishing

IMGP0375.jpg

The British record is nearly 9lb, so mine are just tiddlers in comparison!

Spirex is a fine reel.The only issue with the Qwik fire trigger is that you do not have instant anti-reverse because it self centers back to the quik fire setting. For me that is only an issue when fishing jigs or plastics which requires a quick solid hook set.

Even then you can adjust to it.

Spirex is great for "run and gun" casting and reeling.

Stick with Shimano or Daiwa because in my experience the other brands have been "hit or miss" but these two are always good products,

Thanks for the Spirex information. I'm likely ordering one this evening. The Pfueger is attractive and smooth but the two-hand reel operation just isn't working out for me. And it appears that the Spirex is the highest-end Shimano that offers the one-hand trigger.

jaymeister99

"Wow,

I don't know how big they get here in the states but I haven't seen em bigger than a few inches. I thought they were used for bait!"

If you look carefully at the picture of the chub I'm holding, then you might be able to see some scale damage where a big pike has grabbed it (look between the fingers of my right hand). It's cool to think that a fish of that size is nothing more than pike food!

I've got a Garcia, Cardinal 54, from Sweden. I bought it years ago, when I was 'preparing' to retire. At the time, they were going to stop importing them, but I understand they are importing some of their hi-dollar stuff again. I still haven't gotten around to try fishing with it.

Back