What was your first Becker and when did you get it?

Typical Gate Way BK2 in 2015, lead to another one, then tried to get two BK9s that turned in to 3, a BK 4 because they going away just like the BK5 I got for same reason....and that's about it. I got some Fire Fly handles from Dogwood for the BK2 and Bk5 for large critter cutting season. Acrylic and glow stones, blue and green for the BK 5 and clear and green glowstone for the BK2. Better than Zytek, a bit weaker than micarta/G-10 but still heck of great handles. BK2 was found a few times because of the glowing handle when I went to look for it. Rest all have KA-BAR micarta handles on them. Slow but steady up grades. Never got that ESSEE Uglyeense thingy, have 3 BK9s so never had a use for one. The BK9s are good general purpose larger knives that can operate above their weight class thanks to its tough steel and a saber grind. My BK-4 and BK-5s are never being loaned out! I already "Gifted" my dad an OKC Woodsman 9" 420HC type steel my step mother stole for the bigger kitchen critter cutting and also kitchen butcher knife. Well it is just a big nice butcher knife pattern already and well that's what I use that model for mostly is food prep for my last one I have. (I am getting another one for the old farm stead house, because I found its useful as a nice big SS easy to maintain kitchen knife!) For camping and inside kitchen. My "Evil" stepmother still asks me where the medium critter cutting blade is..."Um in a pack some where." so my BK-5 is safe! Yes I use other knives and even give away ones still in production away as gifts to distract them from my one of a kind I have left. BK5 has been found to be useful for a carving and trimming knife during big critter cutting season. BK-2 has a good heavy blade with a great handle that is full side that is safer use during big critter cutting season as well. I'm thinking on getting a G-10 handle scales after ordering a new BK2 for that task.

Bk14 Proto by Kabar 2013 I believe that was my introduction to the Becker Line, almost 9 years later and still looking for that BK8, This Proto was given to me by ex Ka-Bar employee

XH5rPhZ.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to get a KA-BAR. I was set on the 1245, but then came across the Becker BK2 and on Christmas 2011 (pretty sure) Santa brought me my first Becker. I felt like Ralphie with his Red Ryder bb gun. I fell in love with the brand and the rest is history.

I really can’t recall what my first Becker was. It was either a Brute or a Kukri from the start of the Blackjack era. Maybe 1990 or 91ish. I owned both around then but I can’t remember which I bought first. I still recall the first Becker I’d ever seen though and that was a Machax at a gun show in Glens Falls NY. It had dark wood handles and blade design that just called out to me. Unfortunately I just didn’t have the $75 to buy it. Being a broke teenager with rich man dreams was hard!

First Beckers were a BK2 and a BK7 back in 2009, followed by a BK9 shortly after. I was looking for a "survival knife" at the time, and stumbled across the Becker line.

The first Becker I owned was the Becker 4 (Machax) / Becker 6 (Patrol Machete), circa 2002. The knife was a present, and the retailer shipped the wrong Beccker! I didn't particularly like the Machax and the mistake was remedied. The Patrol Machete has been great. My first experience took place prior to 2002: I watched a friend use his Becker Brute to chop a sizeable limb off a tree in the backyard. I was impressed!

A Reinhardt Kukri was my first. I bought it sometime around 1990 - 1993. Not really sure. It's a Blackjack era one if anyone knows that time frame. I might even have bought it earlier like 88 or 89. It lived in my truck for years and I stll have it. I used it many times to cut roadside branches to keep them from scratching my truck when "off-roading" (really more like rough-dirt-roading).

I just bought my first Becker knives last week!

New member, first post.

I grew up on a red pear farm at 2200 feet elevation in eastern WA state. I fished and hiked and had a small knife and sword collection, but sold them all and transitioned to other hobbies in my later teen years. That was roughly twenty-five years ago. I’ve been using a Kershaw Leek for work and daily carry for about the last five years.

A few weeks ago I started thinking about all the old timers I knew who were attached to their Buck and Randall knives, and started wondering if maybe I was missing-out on something. I had no need for a fixed-blade knife, but after doing some research, found myself just WANTING one.

I consider knives luxury items, so I wasn’t about to buy something made in Asia. (I’m the same way about shoes, wristwatches, glassware, etc) I have to say, the research was really fun, and after two weeks, I had decided to grab a Becker BK16 and BK3. I figured between the two I’d be fairly set for any hypothetical eventuality.

Well, they arrived last week and I have to say I’m really impressed! They feel like a solid US-made value and I’m already weirdly sentimental about the BK16. The blade thickness on both seem very appropriate, as well as the handle shape and material. I convexed the edge of the BK16 using fine and extra-fine sanding sponges, a cotton wheel buff, and a quick hone with our Wusthof kitchen knife steel. It now slices paper like no one’s business! I also really appreciate that primary full-grind edge geometry. The BK3 is just a really impressive tool, and I plan to keep it in my car bag with dry socks, Excedrin Migraine, and other emergency items.

So, all that to say, Ethan Becker is The Man, and all you guys here on the forum have already helped me out quite a bit, even though you didn’t know it. Thanks!

-NWFRS in western WA state.

The Warrior The Warrior … Thank you!
I’m such a knife newb, and I’m not sure that I’ll buy anything else, but I figured I’d register and say thanks for all the help. This site has been a great resource to me, these last few weeks. Great looking BK16 and 62!

1066vik 1066vik … I can see why! I’d love to find a way to carry it, but I’m so urbanized, and I’m afraid it would turn into a hassle. I was a metal fabricator and machinist for twenty years, but now work from home, in Kydex, so I’ll certainly make a small sheath for it, but it’ll be a real challenge to compete with the convenience of a folder.

Thanks man. I use the 62 way more, just because it fits my hand better, but also because I wanted to learn the 62. Instead of using many knives, I've gotten to know this one quite well. Very cool blade.

Back