1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 33 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 17 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What Was Your First Knife and How Old Were You?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Gene K, Apr 11, 2019.

1. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Seems to be the trend and the choices adults make for their kids. I would do the same frankly. I think it's good for kids to choose their own knives after they get a bit of experience. I saw one of those damascus Stag 110's at a gun show at precisely this time frame and bought it. I considered it a pretty expensive knife at the time. Think I bought my very first handmade knife at the very same show. Traded a Mossberg Chuckster (22 mag) rifle in very good condition for it.

That 22 mag rifle was a childhood dream fulfilled when I got it. I later decided that I really didn't need a 22 mag rifle as I didn't really have many opportunities for varmint hunting at that point in my life. In recent years, I found a place for a 22 mag rifle in my stable.

Lesknife likes this.
  2. chuck4570

chuck4570 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I still have 4 of the first 5 knives of mine. The 1st one is a used pen knife given to me by my Grandpap it’s a small 2 blade pen knife when I was 7 or 8, it saw a lot of pocket time between him and me. I can’t remember the make and even with a 10x glass I can’t make it out. My 2nd I got a few years later on a camping trip it is if I remember correctly it’s a Colonial Cut Barlow, the clip blade is broken off but this is still my desk knife. The 3rd and 4th knives I received on my 12 birthday one is a Ideal Products small game knife and the other one was a Sharade Sharpfinger which I promptly lost the 2nd day of deer season that year hence the 5th knife once again given to me by my Grandpap is a used Queen Cutlery fixed blade knife to replace the lost Sharpfinger. These knives are cherished by me and bring back a lot of memories.
    upload_2019-4-13_9-42-26.jpeg

3. CableGirl

CableGirl

Aug 19, 2018
    My very first knife was some sort of small round short pencil like brass gravity type Mom and Dad found in a box lot at an auction. When turned upside down and the opposite end was depressed the blade fell into position and was held there by 2 leaves of steel that wedged against blade and the slit it dropped from. This post has motivated me to try and look for another if I can figure out what it was called.

My second when I was about 4 or 5 was a cheap knockoff SAK Mom ordered me from the back of a magazine she was reading. Both sadly lost to time.

4. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp That's right, it's genuine Velveeta... Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    I think I was 3, though I wasn't allowed to use it until I was 5 or 6. It was a Gerber Silver Knight from my grandfather. Unfortunately stolen off of our porch some time later.

I was definitely the exception rather than the norm. Most kids I knew in the early 90s could only dream of being given a knife of their own.

5. mushka

mushka

Jun 27, 2018
    I too am not sure of the first knife I had for my own but I believe it was a cub scout knife in the mid fifties while living in Hutchinson Kansas.

6. robinpeck

robinpeck

Jul 16, 2001
    The first knife that I remember owning was a Solingen stag handle hunting knife very similar to this one. I was around 10 or 11 years old and I saved up my money (I think my Dad originally paid 10 cents an hour for chicken barn work...) and bought it at the hardware store in town. I nearly had it stolen from me when I walked home with it. People called it a "boy scout knife" although when I took it on an official Boy Scout camping trip they confiscated it and only returned it to me at the end of the trip. Apparently only small folding jackknives were allowed. I quit Boy Scouts soon after. My knife became a trusted companion on my many outdoor adventures (along with my hatchet, my dog, my bow, and sometimes the family .22). 1963 was the last year we took our knives to school and played knife games at recess. No one ever got stabbed.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Ace Rimmer likes this.
  7. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    It was a reindeer horn handled little puukko, I must have been way below ten then. Really cloudy memory, but I remember I had it on road trip we had (probably lapland) and I cut myself right away! :D

8. Rayray70

Rayray70

Jan 2, 2019
    A SAK knockoff with a bunch of tools. I was around 8. My Dad said not to open everything at once because it was too easy to cut yourself. Of course I secretly opened them all. Closed them, and realized I had cut myself:) A small cut and I didn't tell him!

Ace Rimmer likes this.
  9. Wogger

Wogger

Dec 27, 2017
    My very first knife when I was around 10 years old was a cheap knock off Swiss Army knife from a dollar store. The blade was as dull as a butter knife and I broke off the cork screw prying on something that wasn't a bottle of wine.
    It was the biggest piece of shit I've ever laid my hands on but it planted a seed in me that took years to grow .
    Then in my twenties I picked up a Buck Bantom and carried it every day at work and home. That's when the addiction started...
    I learned how to sharpen with stones on that knife, I developed the muscle memory getting that knife in and out of my pocket, and how to flick it open and close it with one hand.
    It was the first knife I ever got sharp enough to shave my arm hair. The blade steel got dull fast so I had no choice but to get good at sharpening.
    It's been a long road since then with more knife purchases than I'd like to admit to. But this hobby is something I'll love until the day I die...

Ace Rimmer likes this.
  10. Agrsiv

Agrsiv

Apr 14, 2019
    My dad always carried a buck 110 on his belt so at 7 or 8 he got me a 55 with leather sheath to match. My grandpa bought me sharpening stones immediately after. I thought I was so cool with that knife on my side

Ace Rimmer likes this.
  11. Robinson1

Robinson1

Feb 15, 2018
    Some sort of swiss army knock off when I was 7 or 8. Total piece of junk that left such a bad taste in my mouth I was in my late 20s before I gave a real Victorinox a try.

Then came a Sabre brand lockback about the size of a Buck 112. Later got an Imperial Ireland Buck Lite knock off that was a surprisingly good knife.

Bought my first Buck 110 with grass cutting money and it's been down hill since. You'll never convince me that there's a better knife design than a 110 or 112

Ace Rimmer likes this.