What Wood.....

JK Knives

Was on the original Kephart? I don`t remember ever reading what is was. I plan on making a Kephart for myself this winter, and would like the wood to be as authentic as possible. It will have small brass pins and no lanyard.

I don't ever remember reading what kind of wood he had. For that matter, I don't remember reading he had a wood handle, although I assume that was the case.

I'd be willing to bet it was maple though.

This was one of my early ones in oak.

2n7ik4k.jpg

and a more recent one in zebrawood.

2diivqo.jpg

Lovely.

I really like Maple, it's a beautiful wood.

You ever use Ash? I bet that would be a nice wood for a classic handle.

I have an ad for one saved on my computer. I will see if I can find it and post when I get home. Though I doubt it says. That was kind of what I was thinking for mine, a nice American hardwood. I have a few pieces coming, one of which is American Osage, but I'd guess the original probably wasn't Osage. :)

What a great find JK. And those prices are hard to beat: $3.75 for a complete set!

I can't tell what the wood is, but it could be Maple...

The wood in the drawing has a light flecking to it that would not be characteristic of Walnut. The example knife is dark like walnut, but I'm hesitant to say so definitively. It could be stained and aged Maple.

Walnut would make a nice handle for your knife though JK :thumbup:.

Hickory maybe. Definitely could be a maple. I would wager something plentiful in or around North Carolina or The Great Smoky Mountiains where he spent a lot of time.

Back