What would you do?

Got this one fitted last night. The handle is from a piece of elk antler that looked exactly the same as the piece in the picture. I was planning on leaving the handle natural but now that its mostly finished I'm thinking its needs some color. Just thought I take a poll on this one.
PDRM0523.JPG

This is the new look. No going back, strawberry blond forever......
PDRM0527.JPG

Leave it alone; it looks great the way it is. :)

Good looking knife Ray. I don't know about color....a brass or silver spacer between the wood and antler might look better. I kind of like the contrast between the light and dark but some sort of transition spacer might help....BTW was that one of those.... censored Elk....it's pink!:D :D :D :D :D :D :footinmou

OOPS ....I just realized we had members from that City. No offense intended:footinmou :footinmou :footinmou

Ray, great looking knife! My wife just walked by me and spotted your knife picture and said,"That's pretty! That guy make it?" If you decide to color the handle, what color?

beautiful,,,,I am a fan of functional beauty and simple form and I think the colors on the handle complement the blade design nicely. The only thing I might change would be the addition of a very thin and unobtrusive spacer between the antler and wood. Looks great, whats the steel?

JM

This one is 1084. 6 1/2" blade. I normally try to avoid spacers and I do not like pins of any kind. I'm not saying I don't have any but find the style I'm into now I'd just soon not use them anyway plus its to late for spacers since the handle is one unit. I'm kind of wishing I had done a groove or two in the blackwood. Guess I could still do that but won't. I could try coloring the handle but I'm starting to get used to it the way it is. This will be the plain Jane model, no lipstick....

She looks Great the way she is Ray.Quit second guessing yourself,that usually only leads to a big goof up;) :D
now go make another,and another,etc. etc. etc.:D
Bruce

I'm going to be doing the mini knife show in Eugene next weekend. Don't really expect to sell much of anything but enjoy seeing which knife gets the most attention on my table. I can alway color the stag but its alot harder to get it off. There are alot of suttle colors in the stag that my poor photo skills don't bring out.

Bruce E., Know exactly what your saying. Ain't like I've had a knife finished and screwed it up before....

Leave it alone....it looks great.
nice grind too. Great work all around.

Is that a temper line on the blade, or just a shadow making it look that way?

First off...great lines to that knife. It looks like it would balance in the hand really well. Love the temper line.

As to color I agree with Bruce Bump that it needs it. If the wood section were a lighter color it would be fine the way it is. But with the dark band of the Blackwood the antler handle needs to be warmed up. As it is now it looks slightly "cold"..."warm" up the antler with some color and you'll improve it.
Just my 2 cents...

Originally posted by peter nap
Good looking knife Ray. I don't know about color....a brass or silver spacer between the wood and antler might look better. I kind of like the contrast between the light and dark but some sort of transition spacer might help...
OK now I feel bad :( But you asked ?
just My opinon
the Brass spacer would have transitioned the contrast in color and
given it a more elegant look without over doing it.
Like this maybe?
ray.jpg

Dan, How'd you do that? :)

Like I said I'm going to leave this one alone but I'll try somesort of transition at that junction on the next one when I get there. Thanks, Ray

The pinkish color is very common on elk antler, especially if it has dried out a little. I have been experimenting with putting a light coat of light brown leather dye on the outside of the antler before I work it. This mostly goes away as it gets sanded down, but it adds a little color and contrast. I also put some epoxy on the surface that soaks in the cracks, sort of stabilizing it.

It looks really good the way it is, Ray.
I imagine it'll darken some with age, but it goes well as is. I'm liking the looks of this piece.

All the best,
Mike U.

Back