What would you most like from GEC in 2019?

What would you like to see from GEC in 2019?

• New patterns

• More variety in handle materials in the existing patterns

• ‘Modern’ traditional blade steels e.g. D2, and stainless

• Larger runs so there is less pressure to buy immediately

• Less SFOs

• More SFOs

• Sprint runs of smaller total knife numbers

• Better jigging patterns

• Lower prices on GEC knives

• Smaller runs and more variety

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is actually something I really have been struggling with, especially after getting my 85 in "Blood Red". The dye job was absolutely horrible. Uneven, washed out, and not what I would call "Blood red". I would really like them to maintain some level of consistency and if they end up with a few in a run that don't make the cut, mark them as seconds.

Dylan,

I agree 100%. This is one of the many pitfalls in higher production levels.

Personally, I've noticed it more and more since 2017 with jigged and smooth bone.

It could be the bone not accepting the dye or etc etc etc. or even the production schedule itself ???

Maybe more time in the dye would help ???

Either way, it's alway's disappointing to get a fly in your soup (so to speak :p).

- Del

BTW even though you guys haven’t complained, I would like to apologise for the poor quality of the poll questions! I was typing them out while in a boring meeting and also pretending not to be on my phone.

Its interesting to see the responses all the same.

If someone wants to do a more accurate and scientific version of this poll then feel free. I am sure GEC would take note, they seem to listen to this forum - or people who participate in this forum.

It goes without saying that the #35 would be the perfect frame for a Scout/camp knife, almost seems like a no-brainer. I would love to see them make one and I wonder why that hasn't come to fruition. I wonder if it is simply rather expensive for them to make and likely wouldn't get the returns they might hope for.

I asked bill about it during the Rendezvous. He said the pattern is just complicated, and while they could do it, they’d have to charge a lot because of the work involved.

My solution was to do it anyway, and I stand by it.

I don't have much to add except I've always thought the 74 stallion (turkish-ish clip) would look killer with a barlow bolster. Stamp an UN-X-LD on the bolster.
Regardless I would like more 74s in any form for 2019.

I asked bill about it during the Rendezvous. He said the pattern is just complicated, and while they could do it, they’d have to charge a lot because of the work involved.

My solution was to do it anyway, and I stand by it.

Surely its the same complexity as a 53, 66 or an 81 stockman? Perhaps the issues with blade rub on the 2018 forum knife has made them wary.

When on earth has "charging a lot" even remotely slowed the sale of a coveted GEC? Like you say - Just Do It (okay Nike said it too)

I'd love to see another run of #33 conductors.

I voted for larger runs, which appear to be getting better every month. And more modern steels. A single blade in Carbon has been fine for me, but I have been having trouble keeping corrosion off of knives with 2-3 blades in carbon. My stockmen knives (non-GEC) are a struggle to keep all the blades rust-free without a forced patina. Maybe I should just force the patina...

The 99 stainless was a near miss for me, as I was hoping for a Clip or Spear blade in that pattern. The Wharnclife in that straight frame didn't do it for me.

Other wish list items include a run of 92's. I like those knives, and don't have one.
More knives in the 3.5-4" range, just because that is my preferred size in traditionals.

in 12 years or so GE has produced about 61 models of slipjoints/pocket knives or on average 5 new patterns a year
the quantity in covers is countless - I am guessing 250 different covers - Darren could probably crunch the numbers and tell us a more accurate sum
less SFO's would probably mean would mean less variety/creativity (Tiger Maple?)
it seems like larger runs would mean less demand wether you are a collector or not and GEC would be more like Case or Buck
I have a few nits and suggestions here and there, like being able to buy directly from GEC as we once were able to do, but overall things are going pretty well...
I'm guessing here...

Last edited:
I would love to see some larger runs and a to have nice quality stainless as an available option.

I'd like to see a rerun of some of their smalls

#06 pemberton
#22 magnum

I'd also be pretty keen on seeing a 3" closed sodbuster

81 stockman, 33 whittler, and a cattle knife. A nice slim 3 3/8" jr cattle with well proportioned blades would be great, that's not a knife that you can really come by anymore, and the nice old ones are not to be used, so a new one is needed.

Back