Whatcha listnin to oo oo?

Everybody knows that knife people are great opera lovers, so I would like to let everyone know that tomorrow's Live From the Metropolitan radio broadcast will be La Bohème. This standard of the repertoire was composed in 1896 by Giacomo Puccini, who was himself a knife nut and posted often on BladeForums under the user name "Jimmy Coltello." Some of you may remember his amusing stories, like the time his wife used his Sabenza to cut some prosciutto and chipped the edge, or the time he disassembled his Hinderer and the pivot screw rolled off the table and was forever lost in the shag carpeting. He was a card. In any case, La Bohème is a beautifully melodic opera about love among starving artists in Paris. It is full of life and great feeling. For example, in Act 4, a man sings a song to his coat — not something you see every day on Netflix. The YouTube below features Luciano Pavarotti, the greatest tenor of his day, singing the aria "Che gelida manina" from Act 1. If the high C doesn't thrill you, you cannot be thrilled.

Just finished listening to Disc 1 of 7 from "Lee Morgan's: The Complete Live At The Lighthouse (Hermosa Beach, CA)" CD set recorded in July 1970.

It is a dynamic and hard driving "in-your-face" recording that will make you want to turn the volume down. Definitely not "easy" listening but some of the greatest jazz representative of the end of the hard bop period that you'll hear anywhere.

71fj4pFaFuS._SX466_.jpg

Lee Morgan was a noted jazz trumpet player who got his start in the post-swing/Bebop era w/Dizzy Gillespie's band in the 1950's and who adopted his own straight-ahead hard bop style as a group leader in the 60's (cutting many now very hard to find and widely sought after Blue Note LPs, many of which I own) after spending time as a member of Art Blakey & the Jazz Messangers (a renowned hard bop jazz ensemble that gave a start to many jazz musicians in that era).

Lee continued to play in the same style (with some experimentation w/free and modal jazz) until his death in 1972, just a yr and 1/2 after this music was recorded, at the hands of his common-law-wife who shot him during a "dispute" at a club he was playing at in NYC.

He was only 33 yrs old when he died. Sad. Like many musicians of that era -- in both jazz and R&R -- he died too early. :(

Last edited:
This week, I was thinking of "I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-to-Die Rag" by Country Joe and the Fish, but I hesitate to post it because the mods and the forum may think that it is too "political." The thing is that all of the important music of the 1960s was political. That was the point — of the music and of the '60s. Some of the old fogies here may remember that, in the 1960s, if you liked rock 'n roll or grew your hair over your ears, it was a radical political statement. Be that as it may, I'll go out on the same limb, but not so far, and offer Janis Ian's "Society's Child," a sweet love song that became a hit after it was featured on Leonard Bernstein's high-brow tv show, Inside Pop: The Rock Revolution.

Not bad for a 13-year-old girl.

Last edited:
I’ve never heard Joe Rogan’s show
And I never used spotify
But I’ve been a Neil Young fan since before
I was a twinkle in my daddy’s eye
I've never heard his show either and I'm not a follower of his...but though I've enjoyed Neil Young's music, (some more than others), since the 60's...I don't support anyone who feels they have the right to shut down the voice or free speech of others.

So Neil, Joni, et al...don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. I, for one, won't miss you.

I've never heard his show either and I'm not a follower of his...but though I've enjoyed Neil Young's music, (some more than others), since the 60's...I don't support anyone who feels they have the right to shut down the voice or free speech of others.

So Neil, Joni, et al...don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. I, for one, won't miss you.
anyone? What about when moderators on this forum edit or delete other people’s posts, is that shutting down the voice or free speech of others? It’s certainly more egregious than what you’re talking about. But neither one has anything to do with free speech. These are private contractual relationships. Like the agreement that users have to enter into to participate on this forum. Spotify is a streaming service and Neil gave them his permission to stream his content. Whatever the conditions he attaches to that permission, he isn’t shutting down anyone’s voice except his own, he doesn’t control their use of anyone’s content but his own, he’s not running the service.

anyone? What about when moderators on this forum edit or delete other people’s posts, is that shutting down the voice or free speech of others? It’s certainly more egregious than what you’re talking about. But neither one has anything to do with free speech. These are private contractual relationships. Like the agreement that users have to enter into to participate on this forum. Spotify is a streaming service and Neil gave them his permission to stream his content. Whatever the conditions he attaches to that permission, he isn’t shutting down anyone’s voice except his own, he doesn’t control their use of anyone’s content but his own, he’s not running the service.
I figured that was coming.

I think it's conflating disparate issues, but whether it's more egregious or deleterious to society...I'll let others decide.

In any case, I was happy to see that Spotify didn't capitulate. YMMV.

Poor Spotify keeps losing amazing artists.

Last edited:
Back