Whats everyone using for knife storage?

Looking for a easy and safe way to store some knives that are easy to access when changing rotation.
Ive done the safe thing, in drawers, in boxes, and out on a table in the open..not safe since my kids are at the age to experiment.

was always thinking of a pelican case.
I keep my knives in their boxes if they come w them. Even my users. Im hating the clutter and searching through the boxes to find a carry for that day. Need organization.
Rust can be a problem also and need to eliminate that. Been using a light dose of oil on the blades.
I have about 5 fixed blades and - bunch of striders, spydercos, and crk folders.

Last edited:
Pelikan case with silica gel packets would be the high-end option. Could go with a cheap tool chest, which is what I use. It locks too. I think mine is just a Husky brand.

71jz9voUCPL._AC_SY355_.jpg

First I would take the knives that you might use out of their boxes. Obviously it depends on how many knives you're talking about. If you want to keep the boxes, place them in a plastic rubbermaid tub sized for your needs.

With sheath type knives that I don't use, I put a hang tag on the sheath so I can easily identify which knife goes with it.

I use a combination of the plastic drawer separators (like for kitchen drawers) and I place on book case shelves and the "Really Useful" brand of plastic boxes which come in various sizes. They are tough, translucent and easy to open. Walmart/big box stores sell a cheaper product that is similar. I usually buy the Really Useful boxes at Office Depot.

Pelican cases are fine for a collection and long term storage but I don't find them particularly convenient to access knives you often use.

Last edited:
+- 35 knives in file cabinet drawer and gun safe. Pretty lame. I'll be looking forward to seeing what other people are doing.

I like them being out to appreciate and fondle, so I've always hung them on the wall. When our boy was little I just hung them out of reach, by the time he could reach them he knew better and we never had an incident. I particularly like the magnetic tool racks, makes it very easy to reorganize when a new knife is added.

I use some magnetic strips that hang on the wall at home for EDC rotation as well as blades I want to display or have easy access to use and play with at home. I also have an old chest of drawers for the ones that aren’t hanging or in EDC rotation at the time.
5A28C48A-E558-4853-81DB-0F822D11DCEF.jpeg

If I can’t decide on just one blade for on the go, there are some nice leather and cloth roll up tool-type pouches out there that can be used to carry a variety of blades, multi tools, flashlights etc, simultaneously. Great for short term storage as well since they don’t take up much space when rolled up.

I store all of my folders and some fixed blades in various soft sided knife cases, some branded (Kershaw/ZT/Spyderco/Benchmade) and some not, each able to hold around 16 knives in them when full.

There are around 20 such cases, all filled w/knives, in my gun safe. The rest of the knives (all fixed blades) I just keep in there original boxes (if I have one) in cardboard storage boxes in a closet.

I should better label the soft cases to minimize the search time but I don't because when I go looking for a knife, it feels like Xmas with all of the anticipation and joy of discovery that comes w/opening a wrapped package. :)

Apache case (Pelican type) from harbor freight. I think mine (3800) holds about 48 knives. Open it up, choose your knife/knives for the day, and put it away. Works for me.

I keep my knife boxes in a shoe box. I need another though, I've run out of room!

This looks good

Apache case (Pelican type) from harbor freight. I think mine (3800) holds about 48 knives. Open it up, choose your knife/knives for the day, and put it away. Works for me.

I keep my knife boxes in a shoe box. I need another though, I've run out of room!

what ever you do! don't keep your collections out in the open for others to see, as I lost most of my knifes to burglars because I had them on display about three years ago, not good, lock them up guys.

Reactions: 555
Just a shoe box with everything tossed in all willy nilly. With a bunch just laying around the house, in the truck, or garage. Kids I dont worry about, he's carried his own since a early age, plus why hide my pocket knives if he can grab one of many from the kitchen. Always found the best practice is just teach em how to use one responsibly young, cuz I cant always be around.

yea mine are in shoes boxes and other boxes but a pain in the ass taking all out to find the knife you want then put back in. plus always looks a mess
Just a shoe box with everything tossed in all willy nilly. With a bunch just laying around the house, in the truck, or garage. Kids I dont worry about, he's carried his own since a early age, plus why hide my pocket knives if he can grab one of many from the kitchen. Always found the best practice is just teach em how to use one responsibly young, cuz I cant always be around.

I have a wooden cabinet with eight shallow drawers that works well for me. Then again, it's just wife and me at the house so locking them up is not necessary.

I installed shelves at the top of my gun safes. My most common carries in the underwear drawer.. few scattered around the house

I've got a 10 knife roll, and my newer knives I keep in their boxes. I would like to get something knicer though.

I've got a 10 knife roll, and my newer knives I keep in their boxes. I would like to get something knicer though.
Most of mine are in the boxes. Just one of my habits. So need to store them in there

Back