1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kydex What's going on with these sheaths?

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Higgs Particle steel, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Higgs Particle steel

Higgs Particle steel

Jan 10, 2018
    The sheaths are perfect.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  2. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Go with leather sheaths from a maker here and be done with it! Send them the knife and the sheath will fit like a glove!

Higgs Particle steel likes this.
  3. bonafide

bonafide Leather Sheathmaker, JouFuu Leathers Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 20, 2013
    Things consistent in your problem is you and the maker. Change one.

4. Makael

Makael Leather Craftsman Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    I'm confused

5. Higgs Particle steel

Higgs Particle steel

Jan 10, 2018
    The sheaths are perfect!

6. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    You do know all of those knives are carbon steel, right? Get the wrong sheath and the edge may rust away.

7. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Uh oh!! Is that anything like the dreaded wobbly apex???
    :D

8. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 30, 2001
    Its this simple. You ordered a product, you should get that product in a usable form.

Now, kydex is a stable material once set, excessive heat or cold will affect it a bit though.

Second, Busse knives do have some variations, ever so slight most often, but enough to cause some fittment issues in such a non flexible material as kydex. Its either going to be a little loose or a bit tight if the knife being used as a mold is off a little. Even a 16th of an inch will cause some misfit. That is the only thing I can figure that might be your trouble, the maker might have an ever so slightly smaller knife.

All my knives are stored in their sheaths, those that have them that is, cobblers syndrome is real. :p Quality materials and care not to sheath a wet or dirty knife go a long way to keeping them in good order.

Higgs, I cannot contact you for some reason, can you send me a note via my forum email? I have a couple of questions for you. :)

9. Higgs Particle steel

Higgs Particle steel

Jan 10, 2018
    These are sweet!

[​IMG]

10. leatherman

Nov 30, 2001
    Kiah and I are the, THE, moderators here in the S&S forum. This is a drama free zone and harassment is not tolerated in any shape or form. Off topic posts are ok as long as it contributes to the subject in some form or another, fyi, the one in question does not.

I do not recognize either maker there, but bias makes me say those leather sheaths look mighty nice. :D

We wont start a hunt here, so if anyone does recognize said maker, keep it to yourself and post, if necessary, in the GB&U. That is where that kind of thing belongs.

In the meantime, as I said and adding this. If your unhappy that is the key. Either it gets fixed to your satisfaction, or you get refunded for what you are unhappy with.

If you haven't already, please do send me a note.

11. Higgs Particle steel

Higgs Particle steel

Jan 10, 2018
    This post is no longer needed!

12. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Can't comment on the kydex but that looks to be very fine leatherwork.

Higgs Particle steel likes this.
  13. leatherman

Nov 30, 2001
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. The post in question referred to storage of knives instead of kydex sheath fitment. The post was off topic, and apparently a jab at you. Not needed in a thread looking for advice. I hope that clears it up a little.

I'll also have a look at those tags, any inappropriate ones will be dealt with accordingly.

14. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Temperature difference not near the extremes of super hot or cold isn't going to impact kydex like that in my experience.

I have or have had plenty of kydex from the same maker, and in fact the same sheath for my TGLB, ordered without sending in the knife. Fit on all the sheaths I have from him have been perfectly acceptable, and have not had the issues you describe. As @leatherman said, with Busse there can be slight variation knife to knife (same with lots of companies). Another thing to consider is that kydex retention is a very personal thing. I prefer the retention on my kydex to be on the near impossible to remove side. It would appear you do not. I've had 30-40 kydex sheaths over the years. Only 3 have had my exact perfect desired retention from the maker/factory (one from this maker on a BK-5). All other kydex sheaths I have owned have required some modification to dial them in to what I prefer. This has been across the industry from some of the top kydex people and knife companies.

Hopefully the maker does right by you. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

15. Higgs Particle steel

Higgs Particle steel

Jan 10, 2018
    Everything is perfect

16. Higgs Particle steel

Higgs Particle steel

Jan 10, 2018
    No need for this post either!

17. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    Did the maker have your knives as patterns?

18. sheathmaker

sheathmaker Custom Leather Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    I'm a leather worker, and I don't know "get up from sic 'em" about Kydex or any of the thermal dependent methods, but what I do know is I frequently get the old "do I have to send you the knife", "can't you just work from accurate measurements" (who measures? you or me? accurate says who?) and so forth. My answer always is NO you don't have to send me the knife IF you don't give a sh*t one way or the other if it fits your knife. The actual fact of the matter is I won't even consider a commission if I don't have the exact knife in the shop. Not one like it...THE EXACT KNIFE THAT THE SHEATH WILL CARRY.

Now back to the point of this thread, if your maker did not have your exact knives to work with, well then a good bit of the blame falls back on you. Part goes to him for even taking the job on without the exact knife in hand.....but if the opposite is true and he did have the exact knives then 100% of the screw up is caught in his trap, and he should have been aware of it BEFORE the sheath even left this shop!

Paul

19. Higgs Particle steel

Higgs Particle steel

Jan 10, 2018
    Hello!

20. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    I don't have much experience with Kydex. I can definitely see a difference between two knives same model. Idk. Sounds like your pleasant about it. I'm sure it will work out