What's in 'white metal'?

Happy New Year, all! Sorry to waste your time, but I'm having no luck with the search engine. What's in the white metal that is used in HI's products? Thanks.

Mr. Taylor, the prevalent opinion is that it's nickel-silver.

Happy new year to you.

I think there was some testing I did a while back (comparing to our NS in the states) that led me to believe the white metal was more like the German Silver. Whiter and brighter.

That's cool. I'd always thought the white metal was just tinned (with solder) brass. Thanks for the link.

aproy1101 said:
That's cool. I'd always thought the white metal was just tinned (with solder) brass. Thanks for the link.

Brass is nearly impossible to tin with solder as it is very 'oily'.

I saw this thread and checked all my Villager models and my other various Khuks with "White Metal trim".

The bolsters on all mine will attract a magnet so are steel. The Butt caps are a mixture of (Steel - magnetic) and (non-ferrous - non magnetic) white metal.

I disassembled a "white metal" villager once, and the inside of the pommel was primed and painted. Probably a car door panel in a former life.:rolleyes: Given the close proximity of Nepal to India, and its long standing relationship with Great Britain, I would expect it to be Britannia Metal.:D

Andrew Taylor said:
Brass is nearly impossible to tin with solder as it is very 'oily'.

I work as an engineer and very frequently tin brass with solder.

Back