What's New from Buck ???

110 Dave

Gold Member
whats new? :confused:
oh wouldn't you like to know!!
;):p:D
NOW know that like any place, every one at buck seems to love being the one to break out a new rumor!
JOE says there are lots of them all the time start in the hall way!
and they fly around for a while then vanish ..
he has heard the 112 from the custom shop a lot and it is one of the most asked about rumors.. even by me!
but I like rumors also ;)...
so every chance i got i asked any one there what was next..
well :eek:... I heard that :foot: : That>>
the 112 would be in the custom shop
later the 119 also!
and a SS Damascus in a NEW pattern other then tear drop..
one of the current lines of premium steel would be dropped..
that they are going to try in a year or so, when contracts are up,
to have it once again that all Buck knives will be
USA made only!
Joe wont be doing repairs ..
that the cell that makes the knife will be the one to repair a broke one
= you made it you fix it..
that there will be a Premium line of Buck Knives using the hammer & nail logo
That new customers like Boon and Crockett are working deals..
that it was discovered in testing that stamping a blade on both sides weakens the blade at that point SO:
that a year from now..
all blades will be laser etched instead of tang stamped
that the lines will now be raised barriers! :eek: AND
every one taking the tour will have to walk through a metal detector! :D;)

Hmmm...some great rumors there, Dave. Exciting times if only half of them are true.

Rocinante

Banned
that it was discovered in testing that stamping a blade on both sides weakens the blade at that point

That's bullshit, it's just cheaper to use a laser.

I will never buy a Buck knife that is laser etched instead of tang stamped.

Laser etching looks cheap because it is.......and they can continue without me if they want to go that route.

S&W uses laser etch - like name/caliber markings on their 625 Mountain Gun barrels. Cleaning may not effect it much, but Semichrome polish will fade it away quickly. Not the best news for a knife!

John

Rocinante

Banned
Must be a mistake on Dave's part.......I'm quite sure Davy Crockett got killed at the Alamo.

Danial Boone sat out that war, but he's dead by now, too.

Dave rambles on sometimes.

Laser etching looks cheap because it is.......and they can continue without me if they want to go that route.

I have a couple knives with laser etching and it looks pretty good...

Simichrome polish is a powerful abrasive; lots of pumice...I would never use it on a knife...unless you were trying to remove the etching...[coff *Cabelas* coff]...

If you're really into pumice, then Valve Grinding Compound, Dupont Polishing Compound, Dupont Rubbing Compound, and Simichrome Polish will give you varying surface finishes with Valve Grinding Compound being the coarsest...

Must be a mistake on Dave's part.......I'm quite sure Davy Crockett got killed at the Alamo.

Danial Boone sat out that war, but he's dead by now, too.

Dave rambles on sometimes.

Only sometimes??? :confused:

Maybe Boon & Crockett is a new sporting goods chain, in Tennessee or wherever... :rolleyes:

Edit: Well, I was close...Dave spelled it wrong, as usual... :rolleyes:

Boone and Crockett Club

Last edited:

Actually, I heard the same comment from Buck. The way I heard it though was related to a specific model (can't remember which one) where they were stamping it on both sides and the blade failed at the stamping. I heard nothing about future knives being etched, only that the specific model was for the above reason.

Rocinante

Banned
Well, let's hope that Dave's rumor about going to lasering instead of stamping is just empty rumor.

Using blade strength as an excuse to avoid the cost of stamping would be dishonest.

jb4570

Gold Member
Well, let's hope that Dave's rumor about going to lasering instead of stamping is just empty rumor.

Using blade strength as an excuse to avoid the cost of stamping would be dishonest.

They are already doing it on at least one new knife....The Gen 5 is only laser etched. No stamps at all

jb4570

They are already doing it on at least one new knife....The Gen 5 is only laser etched. No stamps at all...

Great!!! You could program the laser to do pictures, logos, text...Even passages from the Bible... ;)

But I'd personally like to see the tang stamp in the traditional place, in smaller typeface... :)

So you'll be leaving the Buck Forum??? Well, parting is such sweet sorrow...Bye Bye from all of us!!! :D

gaylordnelsonwavesbyebye.jpg

CB103532.jpg

p1_tigerwave.jpg

waving-goodbye_~bxp125204.jpg

110 Dave

Gold Member
Actually, I heard the same comment from Buck. The way I heard it though was related to a specific model (can't remember which one) where they were stamping it on both sides and the blade failed at the stamping. I heard nothing about future knives being etched, only that the specific model was for the above reason.
yes Mike it was later that day or the next after i heard that comment that i asked of it again.. and the person i asked said it was discussed of jest useing the laser instead of a tang stamp.. on trying to recall ... it could be they were talking of all of some models and possibility not all knives ... was exciting times..

Only sometimes???
Edit: Well, I was close...Dave spelled it wrong, as usual... :rolleyes:

ah yes .. spelling has been more of a challenge every day of late...
and no spell checker i checked out catches boon as wrong...
but yes you are correct it is boone (which shows up underlined as wrong for some reason) :confused:..

Hum… wander if i should send all my posts to Rocinante
(which gets that red underline every time) so she can edit them ..

Perfect spelling MUST be imperative to her, it seems to be such a thorn in her side.
That or…
Does she experience a bizarre ecstasy if she gets to make fun of my spelling errors before some one else?
either prospect would explicate the conundrum of why she is concerned at all..

but if she is leaving us.. it is all moot...

Last edited:
Maybe that rubber handled 110 will be new for next year as well! :D And it would really be great, at least in my opinion, to have a rubber handled 112 as well!! :thumbup: