What's new in huge choppers?

Terava Skrama
qTixInG.jpg

I have slowed down the buying in general; especially those purchases made just for the heck of it. My last chopper knife was the Condor Moonshiner. Was really interested in getting the Fletcher handmade Griffin X but then I considered just how often I use these kinds of blades other than a machete.... answer = almost never except to play once a year or so. So, I passed. Take a look at this one if you want a beastly knife.

I will probably get the new Condor chopper (Ironpath) that is similar to the Moonshiner (because $100 won't kill me for a toy purchase) but larger. Don't believe it is available yet. But again, how often do I use knives like this? Seldom. Regardless of the cost, there is a practical aspect to my choices. I won't carry one hiking and if I did "need" a big blade, I usually choose a machete of some kind for this.

Last edited:
New? Hmm, don't know what qualifies as new in your book. That being said, the CS magnum kukri offers a bunch of cutting power after the edge has been properly tuned up. Other good ones on tap: Condor Parang, Condor Warlock, Busse 1311, Jungolo Machete as well as the Condor Discord machete. If you can stomach the price, snag a CS vintage ATC, a totally amazing tool that packs power in a smaller package than my aged but beloved Ontario 18 inch chopper.

And no, I don't work for Condor!

New as in the last 2 years. I own a few Condor products and love them, the original Golok being my favorite.

Huge would be over 12 inches and 1/4 thick to me. I use it in the woods so anything you can use a big knife for in the northwest basically lol

If you don't mind spending very large piles of money, you can check out the stuff that Miller Bros. Blades is putting out. They like to make massive knives and swords out of 5/16+ Z-wear. Their knives and sheaths systems are very impressive. They had several custom pieces in the over $5,000 range at Blade, but their regular line is slightly more affordable. Be warned, their stuff tends to be on the heavy side....not the kind of stuff for weight conscious backpackers. They were located next to Busse at the 2017 Blade Show and their stuff made the Busse knives look small. :)

128a3716c6bcdb75f0fc960901f65004

n2s

Last edited:
If you don't mind spending very large piles of money, you can check out the stuff that Miller Bros. Blades is putting out. They like to make massive knives and swords out of 5/16+ Z-wear. Their knives and sheaths systems are very impressive. They had several custom pieces in the over $5,000 range at Blade, but their regular line is slightly more affordable. Be warned, their stuff tends to be on the heavy side....not the kind of stuff for weight conscious backpackers. They were located next to Busse at the 2017 Blade Show and their stuff made the Busse knives look small. :)

128a3716c6bcdb75f0fc960901f65004

n2s

They definitely make some awesome looking stuff.

Back