What's On The Workbench

I thought I'd start a sort of a journal type thread so you guys can see what I'm working on. I'll try to post here everyday if I can except when I didn't do any work. I'll try to keep this going for a year or until I get tired of it.

Here's a new prototype flipper I'm working on. I actually started this yesterday when I came up with the design and today I cut the liners, lockbar, backspacer, drilled all the holes and milled the pockets for the bearings. At this point it's ready for heat treat which I'll be doing first thing tomorrow morning.

photo1-4.jpg

photo-6.jpg

Very interesting design there, different from from the rest of your other folders for sure. It has a certain bowie knife style
and correct me if I'm wrong but there is slight recurve to the edge isn't there?

what's the size on this one?

Thanks for posting pics of your building process, it's intriguing to me to see the step to step
construction process that goes into these things.

Russ, the blade on this one is 3 5/8" and it's wider than any folder I currently make. It's a beefy knife. There's a slight recurve but I'm not sure if I'll keep it that way until I grind it.

A WIP Laconico thread? That's like a convergence of the two best things on bladeforums. This will be a thread to watch for sure.

Not a real WIP thread. It is not about this or any particular knife. I will just be posting a pic or two after each workday of what I did that day.

Last edited:
Here's what I finished today. I heat treated the blade and made the handle. The bolsters are zirconium and the scales are silver LSCF. Tomorrow I'll grind the blade and hopefully be done with this one. Stay tuned!

S7303014.jpg

S7303015.jpg

Yes I'm thinking of doing an open bid for it at G5 depending on how I like it. It being a prototype.

Today I ground the blade, sharpened it and put my name on to finish up the knife. I decided to do a hand rub on the flats of the blade and satin machine finish on the bevels. Tomorrow I'll try to post better pictures of this knife.

S7303027.jpg

S7303033.jpg

S7303028.jpg

S7303029.jpg

Last edited:
That blade shape is really eye catching. Almost like a cross between a bowie and a harpoon. The shape and the way it is finished makes everything pop. It works so well with silver LSCF and Zinc.

I just don't know how you do it Ray. It seems like every week you've got a new model that is a homerun. Incredible work.

I cant wait till the stars align and I own one of your knives. I cant put my finger on it about your knives but there is something magical there. You have a true gift. Cheers.

Looks like you have got another winner on your hands Ray, love the blade shape and grind!

So sweet, Ray! I'm game for an open bid - you'll have my full support for whichever route you take.

Back