What's the best edge angle for an Opinel?

I had a decent result in putting 15 dps edge on Opinel using Edgepro Apex. Because of the convex primary bevel,
I had to clamp the knife between the metal plate of the small knife attachment and the plastic platform instead of just resting the blade on the platform.
Not recommend this though.
It was awkward.

Ok, so... The Opinel is the very first one in the collection. The knife was sharp and had a burr down one of the sides. My first move was to try to remove the burr with a Spyderco UF stone. (fail) My second move was to strop the blade on a Knives Plus white strop block. (razor sharp in 3 minutes) : ) I guess the convex edge likes the strop. Very impressed with the Opinel so far.

The factory cutting edge on Opinels is a simple V-grind below the shoulders of the secondary bevel. The primary grind, from the shoulders of the V-bevel up to the spine, is a thin convex. So, nothing special is necessary to sharpen them - treat them the same as any other knife.

For sharpening, anything around 25° - 30° inclusive, with or without a 40° microbevel, works pretty well on an Opinel. The 'Carbone' blade steel (XC90) is a bit softer than the 'Inox' (stainless Sandvik 12C27Mod). So, the Carbone will be pretty fragile if taken below 25° inclusive, being more prone to edge damage (denting or rolling). I have models in each steel and have thinned each of them quite a bit. Went a little too thin on my Carbone No. 08 and found it to be a little too delicate at the edge, showing dents from most any hard contact. So, in that case, a 30° - 40° microbevel for touching up was a plus.

Last edited:
I just use green compound on a firm leather paddle strop.

Perfect, unless there's edge damage.

Keep it sharp and strop often.
That's what these opinels are made for.

I'm sure even using your denim on your jeans while wearing them, would work.

OK, have a mousepad, have some sandpaper. What grit should I use and about what angle should I shoot for stropping it over the mousepad?

You're over thinking this too much. Its an Opinel.

I use a stropping motion on the bottom of a coffee mug, angle unknown, anti gets razor sharp.

Learn to free hand sharpen and forget about the angle bull hockey. It won't matter in the end.

Put it almost flat or flat to stone and grind untill you get burr,then raise angle little to take ot off and strop it on your palm.Touching up is easy when you thin edge out,can use a plate ,any stone or whatever you have handy.Thick blades suck,do not perform well for any task unless you need prybar or to keep ot in safe,lol.

Back