Whats the best multi-tool?

So whats the best one out there? size/weight is not an issue,to a point, it needs to fit in a pack :) just saying its not going to be a EDC and when i need it it might need to do many differnt things so i dont mind if its big or heavy. Looking for the best most reliable one that has the most useful tools possible. Its for a BOB. Thanks!

I don't think there is a "best" but there are a lot of real good ones. If it's for a BOB, you should one with every possible tool. That means one of the Victorinox SwissTool models, or their new SwissTool Spirit. Leatherman Wave or Charge or Blast models will do. SOG Powerlock is also good.

I don't like having to flip the handles, an act requiring both hands or some sort of awkward scraping movements, so I go the the Gerber models.

The Leatherman Wave is my favorite, but check out the new Surge, it's like the Wave on steroids.:D

ThreadMoving.jpg

Cindy Denning said:
The original Leatherman multi tool. ORIGINAL. :)

The original Leatherman is a classic balance of implements and portability. Subsequent Leathermen rejiggered the recipe, emphasizing some features at the expense of others, for example, stronger locking tools vs. heavier weight. This has been okay with me, I use a Supertool or Charge instead of my PST most of the time, but there is no question that the original Leatherman tool set the standard.

All things considered, I would say the Charge Ti as well.

Since size and weight don't matter, you can consider the LM Surge, at the expence of a lower quality blade.

Victorinox have a few nice choices as well.

Will

For me the 2 best tools are the:
Victorinox Swisstool Spirit and the Leatherman Wave

I think those two are the best, I carry my Spirit every day in the waist and the Wave in my pack, sometimes I switch for a week or some.

The Spirit I bought it from Amazon when they had the best deal on it ever $37 with free shipping so I got 2. since that they never had it on sale again in that price.

My waves (2) I bought those form amazon when they had an offer that included a Wave and a Micra for $50 so I got 2 again.

I put a Wave in my Jeep and the other Spirit on my range bag so im cover...

Tango44

Those are my favorites tools.

I have four TimTools, my favourite being the original (pre 200) Supertool.

I have just bought a Victorinox Swisstool Spirit, which I really like.

I'd give the Victorinox tools serious consideration.

[digidude] said:
The one thats right for you =)

If you can save the world with a Chinese knock off, than it's better than a high end tool that sits in a drawer :thumbup:

Go with the Surge, best tool I have seen yet. It's tougher than my SOG Powerlock and Swiss tool. Get the bits for it and pick up a few Bosch T-shank blades (including a few good hacksaw blades) and it will do anything. :D

I don't even want to think about how many times this question has been asked.;)
But for me, it's gotta be the powerlock, it goes with me everywhere and has never failed me. The swisstool looks really neat though, I might have to get myself one of those.;):thumbup:

IMHO, best all-around multi-tool for me is the Victorinox SwissTool. Built like a tank and tough as nails. Tools easily accessible from outside, heavy duty construction, sturdy pliers, with nice fit and finish. I originally EDCed a SwissTool for more than 3 years before upgrading to the X version of tha same, which is my current EDC.

I haven't seen the latest Leatherman Surge / Core yet so I have no comment / personal experience with them... =)

I think there has been a shaky concensus that the SOG PowerLock and the Victorinox SwissTool were the top two multi-tools overall. However, the new Leatherman Surge looks like it deserves serious consideration too. And the new SwissTool Spirit is every bit as good as the others, but smaller, lighter, and more ergonomic.

Any of those four will serve anyone well. Look at the particular features you need and figure out which of them is the best for you.

Personally, I carry a SwissTool Spirit Plus kit. It comes with a 1/4" hex bit holder and a tiny ratchet driver. My previous multi-tool was a SOG PowerPlier.

--Bob Q

Perfectionist said:
Yep .... just get a LM Charge Ti and relax :D

Or get a victorinox swisstool and relax with a smile on your face knowing youve made the right choice .
The vic Spirit is also a good idea but if weight isnt an issue then go for the swisstool , the X or RS imo for the scissors .
I do like the charge and i do own one but just imagine using it to do up or undo a screw when you really need it only to find the f&%k*n" screwdriver bits are too short to reach the screws :thumbdn: and theres the rust problem with leathermans ....have a look here http://www.backpackgeartest.org/rev...therman Charge Ti/Cora Shea/Long Term Report/

just my two pennies

Dunc

Back