1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Whats the coarsest benchstone you know of?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by lerner, Dec 23, 2008.

1. lerner

lerner

Sep 1, 2008
    Im looking for a benchstone which would remove the most stock, even for the hardest metals. Basically the next best thing to a bench-grinding wheel.

I suppose I need diamond, but an "extra-course" arkansas stone could be faster than a "course" diamond stone, right? I wouldnt know which brand is coursest without feeling them.

Links to defenseknives.com or knifecenter.com would be helpful:)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  2. hellgap

hellgap

Dec 17, 2008
    doing it by hand is ok but old fashioned use a belt sander or a file if you want to hand bomb it.ive got a grinder but most people use belt sanders to fast removal and then fine tume by hand

3. Roger999

Roger999

Mar 22, 2008
    DMT extra extra course diamond stones.

4. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    The DMT XX-coarse is 120 mesh and should cut faster than any other stone. When it comes to removing stock Diamonds are a man's best friend.

5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    Come on, guys- it's COARSE!

6. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007

Ha, I didn't even see that LOL!

7. thombrogan

thombrogan

Nov 16, 2002
    Naniwa makes a 24 grit stone used for flattening other waterstones, but it should work on steel as well. Check out the waterstones section at www.toolsforworkingwood.com

8. Soilarch

Soilarch

Oct 15, 2007
    You need a way to vise or hold the blade but I like a 12" $18 Nicholson file. (Mill Bastard or "single cut").

There's definitely a learning curve. But once I learned that there a many traditional bowhunters who sharpen their broadheads with nothing but a file (and get them shaving sharp) I had to try it.

It's great. You can hog-off metal or get a fairly nice, albeit "toothy" edge by varying pressure and technique. My attempts to get shaving-sharp are about 50/50. Give me a piece of 2000grit sandpaper though and I'm in business...as far as broadheads go.

For 1/10 of what some stones cost its worth a try!

9. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    I was going to say that Norton Crystolon coarse silicon carbide stones are about 100 grit. And they are pretty inexpensive.

But THOMBROGAN WINS.

I don't know of anything coarser than a 24.

Golly, Bill. You made me check my spelling 3 times to make sure I spelled it right.

10. hardheart

hardheart

Sep 19, 2001
  11. db

db

Oct 3, 1998
    I've taken a 34 grit 1x30 belt sander belt and glued it to the side of a 2x4 and truthfully it was just too darn aggressive. For sharpening I think the DMT XXC hone is my favorite coarse hone. A cheap black silicon hone is a very close second. I've also read that the RazorEdge coarse hone also works great and at its price it is worth a try.

12. Soilarch

Soilarch

Oct 15, 2007

Heck Hardheart, I forgot most broadheads are only hardened to the mid 50s at most. (Some reach high 50s and a few stay in the 40s) Axes/machetes are also very soft compared to a nice piece of treated D2 or 1095.

Now I have to actually get over my fear of scratching my pretty knife blades and see if my Nicholasons will even "catch" on the harder steels. I'm thinking my [email protected] is a lost cause but will get back to the gang about my AUS8/6,420, S30V, 1095, and ATS34. (I think that cover most of my collection.) Pretty sure they'll catch on my Bucks and the AUS blades...as they seem much softer from experience in sharpening and use.

13. donny bee

donny bee Banned BANNED

Dec 23, 2008
    Dmt course or extra course will most likely work for you.

14. 65535

Mar 14, 2007
    A DMT Coarse stone will do anything you need, the XCoarse and XXCoarse will do it faster, but require more time removing the deeper scratch pattern. IMHO for hand work DMT's are the best bet for the lower grits, as you move up to normal sharpening use then you can choose whatever you prefer.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  15. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    coarse!

16. Idaho Jarhead

Idaho Jarhead

Nov 2, 2007
    Of coarse it is!!

Get it right, guys. :D

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  17. kc custom

kc custom KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 20, 2005
    You could drag it behind a camoflaged motor home! (sorry I just had to) LOL
    Ken.

18. John Frankl

John Frankl

Oct 16, 2001
    And who has the best price on very, very large DMT XXCoarse and XCoarse stones?

Thanks,

John

19. ksskss

ksskss

May 25, 2006
    Here's the 24 grit in the large size that Thom is referring to:

[​IMG]

It's pretty agressive.

---
    Ken