What's the point of the pointy sheath?

I love my WWII, but the pointy sheath is a challenge to deal with. If I store it carelessly, the pointy point on the sheath will poke holes in things. For example, I packed it with some stuff in dry bags, and even though the kukri is heavy enough that it should go in the bottom, I had to put it on top of everything and sheath the sheath in an extra towel I didn't need just to keep it from stabbing stuff. Poking holes in dry bags is bad, by the way.

I suppose I could put the kukri in a proper kydex sheath, but that seems like a waste of a very nice hand made leather and wood sheath. What's under the brass "blade" on the point of the sheath? Could I just tear it off to stop the sheath from stabbing everything? Has anybody already solved this problem somehow?

I have a very old HI Ang Khola without the brass tip on the scabbard. The scabbard on that knife is standard wood with leather covering the whole thing, just without the brass. My guess is that this is how all scabbards are made, with the brass simply glued on at the end.

The brass is put on most scabbards to protect them, probably just with a little laha as glue. You could probably remove the brass piece, but you might damage the scabbard. You could also wrap the scabbard in some kind of cloth, as the Ghurkas often do. Gives the scabbard more camoflage, plus covers the pointy brass part. If you're really worried, stick an old cork on the brass part first.

Thanks for the info. It would be a shame to remove the brass and discover it was necessary to keep the sheath together. If it's just decorative, I'll eventually try pulling it off. I think it will be safer to wear the sheath then. I haven't worn it even once yet since I'm certain I'd get stabbed in the leg by the sheath the first time I sat down with it on.

try searching for 'jingle bells', there's a thread or three on the subject of scabbard tips & fixes ranging from removal, replacement with a rubber dip, and :) jingle bells (most of the bell posts are mine ;)).

View attachment 313439

brass jingle bells opened up and attached (epoxy or solder) to cover the roughed up pointy bit (clapper removed of course). epoxy had held now for a number of years. solder of course requires removing the brass. usually held on by laha which comes off if you heat it (hair dryer).

the brass tip protects the scabbard end from bumps and damage to the wood internals and the leather. most old weapons without a scabbard 'drag' have been on occasion, dropped, and have a bent over leather tip and a splintered wood lining tip, and at worst the sharp pointy bit of the blade has come thru and will do a worse number than the brass would have.

if you have the tools and the skill, the very end can be cut off a tad, the result cross cut & filed, bent over and soldered (or epoxied) to round it off. something the sarkis should do before they send them out (aunty:hint-hint, wink-wink).

Last edited:
I've taken a file and blunted the tip on a few scabbards. The tip still comes to a point, but not a sharp point.

There was a posting a few months ago by someone who found some small round brass pieces that can be glued over the scabbard tip. I think he got the pieces by taking apart a Christmas tree ornament, or something like that. That seems like the best solution.

I have one scabbard that came that way. Instead of the tip ending in a sharp point, the metal was shaped with a small round bulb at the end. Nice.

-- Dave

Ah, as I was composing the above, Kronckew posted a link that illustrates this solution.

I just just make a blunt, soft end with black Gorilla Tape. It looks a little goofy, but its not permanent. So I can always take it back off if I want to display it it all its finery.

8196861602_5b912c2807.jpg

Sort of reminds me of how we used "black out" the shiny bits of equipment in the Army.

A lot of what makes a Khukri a Khukri is based on tradition. Why the metal tip? probably tradition. I bet there was a great use/meaning some where back in History, but I surely don't know it. If I'm going to carry a Khukri in the field with the factory sheath, I normally take the tip off. That way it doesn't poke a hole in my pack, gear or person.

The tips that I've taken off have been held on mostly with what looks like Hot glue, though a few have been laha for sure. Normally I gently pry them off with a flad head screw driver, sometimes applying a little heat to soften up the glue, what ever it is. Go slow, use little heat and gently work the tip off. After it's off, you may need to remove some glue from the sheath and might need to patch the leather or stitching. After I get the tips off, I clean up any glue left on the leather, make sure there's no problems with the exposed leather and call it a day. Saves me from having to put thick socks over the tips of the sheaths when carrying them in my packs. :)

It sounds like HI could get into the accessories business by selling sheaths for the sheaths.

The function is to protect the tip of the sheath from wear. I've taken some off and the sheath continues to function well but it looks a bit ugly. Blunting the tip with a file works well.

Blunt it with a file my friend.
I actually round it off pretty good.
When it is smooth is jams down in a bag or belt without cutting..
Round off or bend down the top tips of the cap also.
The soldier they use to make the *cup* at the tip files well.

I smooth off everything with a file and sandpaper before i carry it..

The most use my sheaths have seen has been from being unpacked when Fedex arrived, then getting a mink oil treatment, then tucked away from the kids in a safe.
Despite their very limited exposure, a few of the tips have fallen off. I'll assume they were affixed with laha. I've put them back on with hot-glue. I bring this up to indicate that they should come off fairly easily if that's what you want to do.
When I do take a knife out into the field, it is in a KMFR sheath that fits most of my 14 to 17" knives. I think Auntie still has some of these for purchase for $20 or $25.

Never did care much for the pointy thing on the sheath. I just heat up the metal til the goop gets gooey & then slowly ease the metal cap off of the leather.

i like to put a rubbery coating like on tools on mine after removing the brass tip.

The brass tip came off easily on my sheath. All I had to do is rock it back and forth with pliers and it gradually separated from the hot glue. I didn't see any laha, so it was easy to snip away the glue blobs with scissors. After I did that, I noticed that the glue was holding the ends of the stitching, so I put a tiny bit of superglue on the threads to keep them from unraveling. This was a lot easier than I expected, and I like the less-tacky all-black look. Thanks for the help!

Back