1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the recent knife trend?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by dudethatlikesblades, Jul 24, 2016.

1. dudethatlikesblades

dudethatlikesblades

Nov 6, 2014
    I haven't been on this forum for a while and haven't kept in touch with blades as I've been putting my attention elsewhere. Though I have noticed that there is always some sort of trend where one variety of blade may be more popular than others for a certain amount of time, and much like the cycle of life. It always changes. Whether it be knives for the tactical mall ninja or for your average bush crafter, what's the popular trend today? :)

p.s I do realize that each and every knife is different with it's own intent and purposes but I thought this would be a fun topic to talk about.

2. Isaacherring

Isaacherring

Oct 27, 2015
    From my observations I would say, bushcraft style knives for fixed blades and ball bearing flippers for folders

3. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp That's right, it's genuine Velveeta... Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Been a bit of a Chinese invasion into the higher end edc demographic as well. They're producing some great stuff.

4. mec003

mec003 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Seems like every new Super steel is a big deal. Not a complaint at all. I appreciate new advancements and a standard of quality that accompanies. Sometimes we forget about all of the older, but still great steels that have been around for a while.

5. NJBillK

NJBillK Custom Leather and Fixed Blade modifications.

Mar 27, 2014
    Spyderco is trying new avenues, high end stainless pocket folders for use in the kitchen, and their H1 for outdoors. Still doing sprints, 52100 and m4 military coming up.

Benchmade has been putting it updated models of their 710, 810, 940, 908 and possibly one or two others. G10 slabs and upgraded steels.

There are some Chinese and Russian companies putting out new designs that seem to be at decent price points for what you get.
    - Rike, Custom Knife Factory, Reate, you might even include Kizer and the new ZT lineup in there too.

6. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    How long has it been since you were on here regularly?

Definitely a Chinese invasion at the high end production market! People seem more than happy with them, I hear they are great knives.

In the production world, seems like everything is getting "customized". All these little things that people can switch out on the knives, pocket clips, scales, anodized screws, backspacers, blades, etc.
    Seems like some people go all out on that, which is good to have that option.

Lots of mid-tech/semi-customs now. Some are amazing quality for the same price as the high end productions, and even cheaper at times.

One thing I like is being able to play with all these steels, so many great ones now!

7. EDCanAdamas

EDCanAdamas

Sep 8, 2013
    ZT: Thinner and longer blades
    Spyderco: High dollar Taiwanese collabs
    Benchmade: Some new models marketed specifically towards hunters, to include wood as handle material
    Emerson: A few newer models featuring flippers
    Kershaw: Pushing a lot of sub $20 knives out to appeal to the WallyMART crowd

Sadly prices continue to rise for most decent cutlery, and MAP is being enforced by ZT and Spyderco now too.

8. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    Traditionals seem to be hot.

9. JOELSM

JOELSM

Aug 30, 2007
    ^^^^^^^ I discovered the "modern" traditional market at the end of last year. The last 10 knives I've bought have been traditionals.....with 4 more reserved.

10. LukeTheSpook

LukeTheSpook

Jan 2, 2015
    Uber expensive hand made bushcraft knives. Very simple designs and long waiting lists to get them, creating an aftermarket for $500 scandi grind high carbon steel users.

11. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    As a slipjoint guy I see SFO'S to be the hottest that come to market these day's and in particular those made by GEC. They are usually sold out in preorder and then you see them hit the secondary market at inflated prices. I have also see certain imports such as Rough Rider and Colt being gobbled up by the truckloads.

12. AmosPaul

AmosPaul

Dec 17, 2014
    Overpriced (but well made) traditonal slipjoint knives that rust.

13. Smokinape

Smokinape

Jan 21, 2011
    This trend is crazy...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

14. nette

nette

Jul 24, 2016
    Benchmade or Kershaw[​IMG]

15. ericlosh

ericlosh

Oct 9, 2013
    This a bunch, i recently got a Rike Knife and its superb, really liking what im seeing and feeling

its going to be tough to have only one nice Chinese knife. Incredible

If Rike makes a 3" bladed knife or smaller, the little heart in my wallet will die

16. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Trends.... cheaper knives may be getting better for regular use. Super steel use (and higher price tag). Bushlore type knife designs seem to be very popular but I still prefer a clip point blade overall.

17. mmmotorcycle

mmmotorcycle Midnight Joker #42 Platinum Member

Jun 17, 2006
    I think the market for aftermarket customs in general has been crazy. Ti handle knives sell quick for $1000+

I have moved towards larger folders since they are generally more comfortable for me.

18. Manek

Manek

Mar 26, 2016
    I think traditionals are going the be the next big thing as a reaction to the more tech oriented wave.

19. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    hehehehe (from a traditional only carrier)