What's the story with Benchmade's butterfly, and what do you think of it?

The trademark is verrrry recognizable, and that works to Benchmade's advantage. But I was wondering about the use of the butterfly symbol, because I hardly think of butterflies as "manly," knife-associated creatures. They're fragile and "pretty." Guys like DRAGONFLIES, and girls like butterflies.

So what's the story behind the butterfly, and do you like it, or do you like Benchmade products in spite of it, like I do?

---Jeffrey

I like it. I think it became their symbol because initially they specialized in butterfly knives, and that became their trademark. I could be way off base though, that's just speculation on my part.

Your speculation is absolutely correct.

Butterfly knives, a.k.a. balisong knives, have been a major part of Benchmade's product line from day one. Today, Benchmade is known for making some of the best production balisongs in the market.

Didn't benchmade kind of branch out of Pacific Cutlery which originally had the butterfly logo and mainly/only made balisongs ?

Peaceful Jeff,

I think the butterfly is fine. Yet again I drive around a family car that has Winnie the Pooh sunscreens on both sides.

That is when I'm not out conquering the rough and tumble Alaska bush.:mad:

Bruce

Remember that Monarch butterflies migrate long distances, upwards of 2000 miles, every year from Mexico to places further north (or maybe visa versa). That is a pretty impressive feat for a bug. Pretty, yes. Fragile, no.

Originally posted by Matt Shade
Didn't benchmade kind of branch out of Pacific Cutlery which originally had the butterfly logo and mainly/only made balisongs ?

Yes, however, Les Deasis was one of the man guys from Pacific Cutlery who came over to Benchmade. And I believe that's how the logo came over.

Chuck, is that correct???

Matt you are correct. Benchmade is the successor company to Pacific Cutlery. PC was responsible for the resurgence in popularity of the butterfly knife. Balisongs were their specialty. They had an amazing line of balisongs from well made but utilitarian designs to very high quality custom pieces. Each one came with a "cocoon" sheath. I believe PC ran into financial difficulties and they went belly up. Former PC honcho Les DeAsis then started Benchmade.

phantom4

Originally posted by Akwacko
Peaceful Jeff,

I think the butterfly is fine. Yet again I drive around a family car that has Winnie the Pooh sunscreens on both sides.

That is when I'm not out conquering the rough and tumble Alaska bush.:mad:

Bruce

LOL!!
That's a great image!

I myself drive around in an All-Wheel-Drive Subaru compact wagon with NRA and AOPA stickers on it. I was thinking that a butterfly might not be the best match, but since I'm stuck liking their knives, what am I gonna do? :p

---Jeffrey

Speaking of the Benchmade flutterby....(which I think is pretty cool myself) Does anyone know where my wife could get a rather large Benchmade/ Bali-Song Butterfly sticker for the rear window of her truck? I haven't seen any currently for sale at the Benchmade home page. (she's a big fan of Benchmade knives, and admits, some of it probably has to do with the Butterfly)

and here is the sad thing....
the logo is actually of a moth.....(but thats only the perspective of a bio student)to be a butterfly it needs to have knobs at the end of the antanae...(in the smaller icons it looks as it does knobed antanae, but in the bigger ones it just seems to curl around)

my .02

Hey JHE888, if I remember correctly one single monarch doesn't make the 2,000 mile journey, it takes like 3 generations each direction to get all the way there. So each individual only makes it around 650 miles. Which is kind of amazing in itself that the little bugs that return to mexico each year, are the great, great, great, great, grandflys of the one that left the year before, and even though they don't know where they are going they still head to the same spot.
Kyle Fuglesten

Peaceful Jeffrey,

I think that having a butterfly on your cutlery shows that you're secure enough with yourself to own a Benchmade.

Also, a caterpillar metaphor could be made because you'll have to chew through a lot of green to get to the butterfly.

While alot of people don't like the "soft" and "unmannly" butterfly I think its great.

It looks good and always reminds me of balisongs (butterfly knives).

I wear a benchmade t-shirt alot and always wonder what people think when they see a butterfly with the words "Benechmade" and "Held to a higher standard." THey just dont seem to go together. :)

YOu know actionjeep it just doesn't sound as good to call it a moth, kinda like tickco...:)

My youngest daughter (10 years old) loves the Benchmade butterfly and thinks very highly of my Benchmade knives. However, she's a discerning little lady, and so prefers my Sebenzas to all else!

I even own a couple. They are very well done knives.

LOL :D. (as opposed to the Pakistan medium rare ones.)

Back