What's up with recurves?

Sooner or later all blades get a recurve - so what is the problem?
And after all a real knife enthusiast should not even consider it a chellenge!
Recurve - heh!
Just kidding ;)

I like recurves when cutting on surfaces, opening boxes etc.

Agreed, not necessary but requires a little less effort for those applications. Although, a nice belly can simulate the same effect just holding your hand at a different angle.

The only knife that pains me that it is a recurve is the BM 710 because of how much I like it. But after seeing what the Edge pro sharpened it to, maybe my current smiths system can do the same.

I figure the reason they're still so prevalent is because of non knife guys impulse buys. like combo edge blades. Clearly there is a massive preference for non recurved, and non combo edges on knives by people who actually know what they want in a knife.

This isn't saying either of these things are "bad", just saying why I think they seem to sell so much while being seemingly unpopular.

I guess if we like serrations and recurves we are know nothing, non-knife guys who just waste thousands of dollars on impulsive knife purchases because we don't know any better.

And I thought over the last 40 years of knife collecting and usage I was making progress. I guess there is no help for me.

Oh well I guess I will continue to make uninformed non-knife purchases until I grow old and die. :rolleyes:

I personally apologize for being part of the uneducated group of people who perpetuate bad knife judgement.

Last edited:
Recurves? I love em. They slice all day right alongside the straight edges. Sometimes better! For those that don't like them because they are a pain in the ace to sharpen, I understand. It took some time for me to get my technique for sharpening them down. It just takes some practice. If you're sharpening on really wide stones then you're doomed. I definitely don't shy away from them, that's for sure.

I guess if we like serrations and recurves we are know nothing, non-knife guys who just waste thousands of dollars on impulsive knife purchases because we don't know any better.

And I thought over the last 40 years of knife collecting and usage I was making progress. I guess there is no help for me.

Oh well I guess I will continue to make uninformed non-knife purchases until I grow old and die. :rolleyes:

I personally apologize for being part of the uneducated group of people who perpetuate bad knife judgement.

Admitting the problem is the first step! :thumbup:

Dont be so hard on yourself, your still and important part of the community

You don't need anything fancy to sharpen a recurve, some fine grit sandpaper and a dowel rod and you're there. Or, $20 gets you a Croc Stick ceramic system. I hope the "they suck to sharpen" sentiment doesn't put people off here on the boards.

Admitting the problem is the first step! :thumbup:

Dont be so hard on yourself, your still and important part of the community

Thanks I can begin to move on with help and support from you guys. I'm beginning to feel much better now, so much in fact that I am going to rush right out and purchase a brand new Emerson Commander UBR more belly and more recurve. :D

Heh...been collecting for about the same time myself, jeffa, and I guess by the yardstick posted, I am as ignorant as they come. Oh well, the first step to wisdom is realizing that you know squat. ;)

I've had a couple recurves and only kept one. This particular one is a bit rare and has only a very slight recurve giving it a bit of sexiness while easy to sharpen.

stripped2.jpg

stripped1.jpg

Don't really like recurves on folders. Never been much use to me. On certain fixed blade styles I don't mind them (Kukhri). Generally though I prefer a single curve on my knives, it's within my sharpening capabilities.

Everyone seems to be posting pics of these wimpy little recurves. If you going to post one, post a good one.... :p

NewSpecBump.jpg

Now that is a recurve.

The Spec Bump is one of my favorite knives that handle like three knives in one. People that say a recurve is useless ascetics have never really spent any time with one.

Everyone seems to be posting pics of these wimpy little recurves. If you going to post one, post a good one.... :p

NewSpecBump.jpg

Now that is a recurve.

The Spec Bump is one of my favorite knives that handle like three knives in one. People that say a recurve is useless ascetics have never really spent any time with one.

Right on, Brother! One of my favs.:thumbup:

good pic & great mirror bevel on the 710. i think i'll give my 710 d2 a whirl on the edge pro. probably wo'nt be as good as yours but i think i can improve it.
dennis

I love recurves and belly. ZT 0300 series, Emerson Commander, Benchmade Skirmish, DDR Gun Hammer Bowie, Kershaw Offset etc. I have many straight blades also but the cutting advantage goes to re-curve and belly for me and sharpening has not been a problem.

As mentoioned earlier they are nice to look at but I like the way they function. :thumbup:

:thumbup: exactly! i tend to touch up my recurves a little more often to avoid sharpenning issues. i just love how a recurve cuts.

I have a Cold Steel Spartan which I use for EDC. The recurve isn't the reason I bought the knife, but it doesn't bother me. The recurve makes cutting sheets of material (cloth, cardboard, opening boxes) easier, because it gives you a place on the edge to "grab the cut" with. It's like having one big serration on the blade, in other words.

Sharpening isn't a problem for me, since I've been using strops for most of my sharpening for years now. Sharpening a recurve with a strop isn't much more difficult than sharpening a straight edge or a blade with lots of belly.

NewSpecBump.jpg

Now that is a recurve.

I carry a spec bump in my kit when im hunting.I got a big Samba stag a cupla months ago (506 pound gutted,and yeah i got pics)..little recurve did a mean job!!

There good if your cutting a lot of rope, cord, tape etc. When you draw the knife down the rope the belly of the re-curve kind of stop and cuts the rope. You don't need to use as much outward pressure. Sure a really sharp straight edge will cut rope fine but it takes a toll of the edge and isn't as effective over a long time.

Recurves happen when knives are not sharpened well.Especially forged kitchen knives
with integral bolster\guards.That being said it can give an advantage in draw(towards you) cutting of rope etc. A Kukri does the same thing away from you and on an
opponents neck :).

Back