What's up with the new Militarys?

My $.02 ..... I don't like the newer look, but I still love the knife.

Interesting comments. Thanx for the thread.

Changes are necessary. We try to improve in all changes. But non the less, we all much change.

The new engraving on the Military was my doing. The Diamond drag engraver was being replaced with a faster more effective lazer engraver. I always felt that the Military design was a no nonsense tool. In my mind, the old engraving was too much.

"No more than is necessary and no less than perfect" is the goal for the Military.

Roy, no prob on the words. Although the newer version is a better product (stonger, safer, closer tolerances, etc.) so I don't understand how it could "feel" cheaper, but I guess that is a subjective thing.

The lazer engraving is not really less expensive to produce than the diamond drag, due to the cost of the equipment. It is much faster though.

I have had thoughts of reducing the size of the lazer engraving on the Militry, but at this time, my personal preference is the simple "this is what it is" engraving, as opposed to something that is made to look nice.

As always, opinions are apprectiated.

sal

Since getting my inlay Military (102)
I have noticed a couple of things...

The liner ramp is now no longer polished it has a grey finish instead!

The handle is more grip you back! It feels more secure in my hand!

The liner lock does not open as far, with my older model it comes to about 60-65% to the right. The way that it is attached inside looks different as well. On my old model, the liner is 'up' from the recess by at least another inch than my inlay model (if you mesure from where the cut out thumb notch is for the thumb in the scales). Not sure if this means my old model liner is coming unstuck or if the new one is over glued? Anyway no compaints here! The inlay fully covers the tang, but only just.

Anyone else notice this?

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!
Founding president and member number 1! Wana join?

I saw the new Military last week. Actually it was the inlay Military. I liked it.
smile.gif

Blades

The first I saw of the new laser-engraved militaries were the inlaid ones. Cool, I thought, wish the standard ones were like that too. Turns out they are, and my new one has the new writing. I prefer it. Also, I thought the large, lumpy handle was tremendously ugly and ungainly, until I used it, that is.
biggrin.gif
Turns out it is exceptionally comfortable. Oh well I like my Military.

-IPR

Back