What's your best trout lure...

Meps no.1 or no.2. Cast downstream and let it sink as close to some structure or overhang as you dare. Give it a quick short tug and slow roll it back upstream. Have fun. :)

I like a Meps no. 1 yellow. I cast it into slow rapids and let line out for about 3 seconds so it has time to sink. I then slowly real it in with light jigging. Take the trout off and cast again!

For lures, I also like mepps, I prefer a small black fury with dressing on the hook.

1" tube jigs are also good.

Mepps are always great. For flyfishing, I like a bead head epoxy back scud. Cast it upstream of a hole and watch for a strike.

krocodile spoon in a variety of colors bounced off the bottom in lakes and rivers. thats all we (my friends and i) use in the high mountain lakes in the heat of summer here in MT.
earlier in the year well switch it up with spoons and a super vibrex or panther martin (also in various colors) slowly brought up from the bottom in lakes, and where the current allows in rivers (when fishing rivers were almost always in a raft). on the lakes were always in a canoe. thats really pretty much all we use for trout, works well for us around these parts.
i should add; most trout in the lakes we fish are westslope cutthrout with some HUGE brookies thrown in. the rivers have several different species of trout.

Mepps. Silver #0 is the "old dependable", but water conditions and desire to cast farther sometimes dictate Mepps copper or brass colored #1 or #2, or even the painted colors. I've never noticed any increased bite action from using the dressed models.

Rapala lures sometimes.

Friend of mine swears by the Blue Fox lures with the bell-shape sound vibrators. I've never had especially good luck with them though, certainly no better results than the Mepps.

Meps no.1 or no.2. Cast downstream and let it sink as close to some structure or overhang as you dare. Give it a quick short tug and slow roll it back upstream. Have fun. :)

Same here. I was taught to cast upstream, but I have had at least as much success (and more fun) casting downstream.

Worden's Rooster Tail in chartreuse works best here on LI, followed by the 1 or 2 size Blue Fox Vibrax in gold.

Bigger Trout upstate usually hit best on the Blue Fox Vibrax in silver or gold.

But my goto bait for Trout is usually Berkley Powerbait paste.

Depends. What kind of trout? Lake? River? Tiny creek? Spinner? Fly?

For the tiny little creeks I like to fish in the Smokies, there's really no need (imo) to use anything other than a #16 parachute Adams. Cast it to the top of tiny slick spots (like the size of a laundry basket), let it drift to the tail and try again. If anything is there and eating, you'll get a strike. I catch rainbows and brookies like this.

In bigger water, I like a #12 or #14 Wooly Bugger in olive or black - maybe a bead head. Just cast along current seams in larger pools and let it drift until you lose your slack, then strip it in. Works great for brownies and sometimes rainbows.

Fly rods FTW!

---

Beckerhead #42

With spinning gear, I always had a lot of luck in deeper pools with 1/16th ounce flourescent pink horsehair jigs, worked slowly across the bottom.

In fast running water, a 3" floating Rapala minnow works great. Cast it across and upstream, then work it back as fast and erratically as you can.
The quick, darting action drives 'em crazy.

I fish with spinning gear, and my best success has been with Rapalas. My favorite is the Husky Jerk 6 in Tennessee shad color.

I trout fish with spinning gear exclusively. My best success has come with Panther Martin lures cast upstream (trout normally face upstream waiting for something edible to drift their way) and worked through the hidey holes trout love: behind rocks, under logs, along cut banks, through seams or "foam" lines in the water. I have hooked some larger fish on rapalas ripped through deep holes and have found Worden Rooster Tails in black with silver blade color to be effective also. In lakes and larger ponds I favor crocodile and cast-rite spoons/lures.

1/4 or 3/8 oz. Kastmaster, half silver, half blue anodized. They're like chartreuse power bait for me - never fails to at least get some bites.

if your casting from shore panther martin's in black/red or orange/yellow, or worden roostertail in pink/green. they have lead bodies so they sink well.
the roostertails are good trolling too especially tipped with a half worm.

best lures I have used for trolling for trout have to be the smallest size apex hotshots in cracked frog, black/silver speckle and silver.
a small dick nite in silver/bronze or silver/red is dynamite as well
I troll with 6 weight 9 ft flyrods, lead core flyline ,20 ft of 6lb flourocarbon and a swivel 6 ft from the lure
with regular spin tackle you will need some lead to get down

I've had great luck with a #7 floating original rapala in firetiger. I deploy it with a helicopter so they don't detect it.

I mainly fish small streams, as a couple others have said, small Panther Martins work best for me, usually a gold blade and body, PM blades spin very well in current compared to some of the other brands IMO. As far as fly fishing, I like a dry, usually an elk hair caddis, or parachute adams, fished with a dropper wet fly, I have had good luck with a tungsten rainbow warrior, that setup has worked well for me in many states. I also cast upstream or across the current and retrieve the lures or let the flies drift down

I have caught quite a few larger brown trout on a Yo-zuri pins minnow, kind of like a Rapala but more realistic looking to me.

Back