What's Your Favorite Book?

When I saw the title of this post my first thought was "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. It's a great book.

Another is "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand. World war II story about a guy who spent 47 days on a life raft after being shot down then survived as a Japanese POW until the end of the war.

I really could not even name but one. The Gaunt's Ghosts series by Dan Abnett is probably my favorite series of all. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is up there, A song of Ice and Fire series by George R R Martin is also really good.

1. Life of Pi, one of, if not the best "teen" books ever written, and a lot to teach anyone
2. V for Vendetta, the best graphic novel I've ever read
3. 1984/Brave New World, some of the best dystopian books and a chilling prophecy that unfortunately is coming true in more ways everyday
4. The Hatchet series by Gary Paulson, obviously
5. The Giver, an interesting mix of dystopian and children's writing
6. World War Z, best fiction depiction of the human condition in a crisis I've read

"No Country for Old Men" was great. I've seen the movie, but didn't read the book. I'll have to read that one and watch "The Road."

Definitelly - "The Dark Tower"-Saga by Stephen King. Great books!

Kind regards

Some great books listed here, one day I will have time for reading again... to add to my original list a bit.

The Adventures of Conrad Stargard by Leo Frankowski I read the first four of them more than a few times, great fantasy with an engineering theme.

Janissaries series by Jerry Pournelle A cold war military unit is about to be over run and wiped out and then the alien ship lands... military sci-fi.

Always loved the Mack Bolan series and the spin off Able Team, I wanted to be Carl Lyons in high school, lol

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series and the Otherworld series from Tad Williams, Shadowrun series kind of like written comic books but very entertaining, "It" and "The Stand" from Steven King - I could take or leave all his other books, but those two are outstanding.

Lots of good SF and fantasy titles mentioned and some great classics but I'm a military history fan so here a a few of my favorites:
The Road Past Mandalay by John Masters
Into The Mouth of the Cat by McConnel
Tunnels of Chu Chi by Mangold and Pennycate
Band of Brothers, We Were Soldiers Once and Young...........The list goes on.

What's your favorite book? Post a short description, why it is your favorite, and a cover photo if you got it!

I'll start with mine.
Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10.

Description- Marcus Luttrell describes his training in the Navy and then leads on to more advanced BUDS training. He then describes the battle on the side of a mountain and the deaths of his three teammates, leaving him the only survivor of the event.

Why- From the first pages to the very end you're hooked! Luttrell describing BUDS training makes you feel like your right there with him, bustin your ass. The description of the battle on the mountain is captivating and keeps your eyes glued to the pages. It really shows how much you have to go through to be an elite member of the US Navy.

e31c593d.jpg

Great book

My all-time fave is The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat by Oliver Sacks. Sacks is a world-famous neurologist and wrote this compendium of abnormal and fantastical neurology case studies he was assigned to back in the 70s. It's a fascinating must-read.

Where to start! I love the classics. My favorites are Look Homeward Angel by Thomas Wolf, In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, The Great Gatsy by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Fahrenhiet 451by Ray Bradury.

Growing up thou what got me involved in the outdoors was literature like My Side of the Mountain and Hatchet. The authors escape me at the moment.

I've read a lot of the books already mentioned, but now have a new list of books that I shall read.

One of my all-time favorites (other than ones already mentioned) is:

The Stand by Stephen King. Unabridged/re-released version.

A fight to the end between Good and Evil.

King re-released it and put back in a lot of details that had been edited out. The unabridged/re-released version just makes the original release all that much better.

TJ

After seeing Blood Meridian so highly recommended, I tracked down a copy at the local library. I enjoyed both No Country for Old Men and The Road; so I thought Blood should be okay... Alas, the dialogue reminded me of the time I tried Faulkner, The Sound and The Fury. Nope, Blood was ehhhhh... I wouldn't recommend it.

As far as my Favorite book, gotta go with Armor by John Steakley. His book Vampires was excellent as well. The Wheel of Time series is, IMO, one of the best. The Sookie Stackhouse series (True Blood is based on 'em) are great reads too.

World War Z had me paranoid and thinking about stockpiling food and ammo, but didn't bother me the 2nd time around. The 1st book in the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series (with that name); I remember as being enjoyable. After seeing the American release of the movie I got books 2 & 3 from the library. The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest were extremely good. Continuing with Swedish authors, Let The Right One In was great, too.

And, one last shout out for a book :) http://www.amazon.com/Red-God-Rising-Donald-Brundage/dp/1588517063 Since I wrote it, I think it's kinda good.

Last edited:
One mans wilderness. And other books also about the life of Richard Proenneke alone in the Alaskan wilderness.
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. A story about the Mt Everest disaster in 1996.
These are books that are hard to put down and I usually don't like to read.

Back