What's your latest Schrade? END DATE 8/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha! Yeah I had to include something for scale... I've had all of those delicious whiskeys, and many more of course. Now I don't know all that much about Canadians, but I met some Canadian grain farmers in Mexico when I was last there, and one can go his whole life thinking he can hold his likker, until you meet a Canadian grain farmer! They did deride me for my taste in whiskey made from corn, but hey! I like all kinds of whiskey, even rye... Just not as much as bourbon.

Yeah, I cut my teeth on the sweet taste of rye (with ginger ale) but the smokey flavour from the charred oak and the corn mash makes a tastier, more complex whiskey. Now it's neat bourbon or occasionally neat scotch. Funny that those Canucks tried to convert you too. You can see the resistance I run in to when trying to promote bourbon to Canadians. More for me I guess. :)

How do you like the Little Finger knife? I have one and it seems like a very useable little knife.
-Bruce

I like it. It's a solid little piece of work. It has a liveliness to it I didn't expect, since it was my first one. I have a bad habit of buying used ones that aren't really collectible for users too, and even though it seems like its a small game skinner or a caping knife to me (not sure) and most of what I clean these days are largish fish from the Gulf of Mexico, I may get a beater to carry when I manage to get inland for cleaning doves or something small.

I'm an incurable showoff, it's true... and now I'm an incurable Schradeaholic as well. I'm heading to Blade for the first time next Friday, and I'm hoping to see some nice Schrade for sale there too!

Last edited:
Yeah, I cut my teeth on the sweet taste of rye (with ginger ale) but the smokey flavour from the charred oak and the corn mash makes a tastier, more complex whiskey. Now it's neat bourbon or occasionally neat scotch. Funny that those Canucks tried to convert you too. You can see the resistance I run in to when trying to promote bourbon to Canadians. More for me I guess. :)

I went to the Woodford distillery once, very cool place, btw. Took the tour, it's pretty cool to walk around and peer into their mash vats. It smelled like a little piece of heaven.

I like it. It's a solid little piece of work. It has a liveliness to it I didn't expect, since it was my first one. I have a bad habit of buying used ones that aren't really collectible for users too, and even though it seems like its a small game skinner or a caping knife to me (not sure) and most of what I clean these days are largish fish from the Gulf of Mexico, I may get a beater to carry when I manage to get inland for cleaning doves or something small.
I feel it can easily fit in the slot that my Izula II fills at the moment. It just isn't as "TactiCool." I think you will love it for fine work, especially when you slip your finger into the slot between the cutting edge and hilt with your thumb on top of the blade. Can you say; "Major Control?" Try holding yours that way and you will readily see what I mean. :)
Motey said:
I'm an incurable showoff, it's true... and now I'm an incurable Schradeaholic as well. I'm heading to Blade for the first time next Friday, and I'm hoping to see some nice Schrade for sale there too!
We like show offs around here. That only means we get to see some nice cutlery. ;)
-Bruce

Motey and Bruce, the Little Finger was officially a caping pattern in the '90s when described by Schrade and NAHC. Here's a link to a stag one I have (NAH156) where the paperwork describes it as "The Heritage Caper by Schrade" and the "Hunting Heritage Schrade Caping Knife". (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/808434-NAH156-stag-NAHC-Little-Finger-1996).

Originally it was also described as a "small game skinner" by Schrade. Here's the link to the (likely first) vintage add for Sharp Finger's "Kid Brother": http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/FLYERS/SC-1973-1979/pages/SC-79S-1.htm

Good guesses Motey! 2 for 2. :thumbup:

I don't think you could have made a better choice. :cool:

Show off. ;) Very impressive indeed. :) How do you like the Little Finger knife? I have one and it seems like a very useable little knife.
-Bruce

Hi Motey from Australia, I decided to collect Schrade knives way back in the 1970's.
It looks like Bruce also thinks collecting Schrade is a good past-time.
Have a look at some of my knives if you like - Loveless,D'holders and Lake & Walker LW1 are my pick of the Schrades... Ken

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=131&image_id=6046
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=131&image_id=6044
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=131&image_id=4668

Last edited:
Motey and Bruce, the Little Finger was officially a caping pattern in the '90s when described by Schrade and NAHC. Here's a link to a stag one I have (NAH156) where the paperwork describes it as "The Heritage Caper by Schrade" and the "Hunting Heritage Schrade Caping Knife". (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/808434-NAH156-stag-NAHC-Little-Finger-1996).

Originally it was also described as a "small game skinner" by Schrade. Here's the link to the (likely first) vintage add for Sharp Finger's "Kid Brother": http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/FLYERS/SC-1973-1979/pages/SC-79S-1.htm

Good guesses Motey! 2 for 2. :thumbup:
Thanks for the links. The one I have has the older (better IMO) sheath. I bought that one quite a while back, and think I might even have bought it new. I don't remember for sure right now. I think I even bought a second one via the big auction site, but don't remember where I put it. (It's hell getting old.) :rolleyes:
-Bruce

Bruce your doing OK - you can still remember you name.
I have the same think happen to me - can not find things - but I still have a good time... Ken
JUST KEEP ON COLLECTING SCHRADE KNIVES AND POST THEM FOR ALL OF US TO SEE.

Bruce your doing OK - you can still remember you name.
I have the same think happen to me - can not find things - but I still have a good time... Ken
I hear the more we forget, the better the time we think we had. :D
koldgold said:
JUST KEEP ON COLLECTING SCHRADE KNIVES AND POST THEM FOR ALL OF US TO SEE.
That reminds me, I have a new to me #165 somewhere. Now where did that darned knife go?............
-Bruce

That reminds me, I have a new to me #165 somewhere. Now where did that darned knife go?............
-Bruce[/QUOTE]

Bruce, Darned knives don't go anywhere - We put them away in a safe place, and we can never find that safe place... Ken :rolleyes:

We put them away in a safe place, and we can never find that safe place... Ken :rolleyes:

In my neck-of-the-woods that's referred to as "Daveing" something. One minute in my hand...next, gone forever lol I've always had an uncanny knack for that.

Here's my latest Schrade. This one is an I*XL English knife though. iirc the hallmark "0" means this is a 1980 knife. 30 years ago they were sure making some beautiful jigged bone handles for these knives. These stockmans are a hand-full of knife at 4" closed and frankly I think it's going to be carried in a sheath not my pocket because it's quite heavy.

Carried? What, what, WHAT? Yes, unlike most of my vintage safe queens this one is a perfect user because it's a XXed second. I strongly suspect it's a second because of a stable short handle-pin crack on the pile side as shown in my third pic. Still a really attractive and functional knife and I don't get a panic attack at the thought of it getting beat up lol. Even nicer I got this one as part of a great deal on a lot of knives and after I sell a few from the lot this one will be a freebie. Gotta love those...

Maybe this one will make another appearance in a couple years with lots of new "character" ie. scratches and dings and tales of some things cut and others created.

Scan-120601-0001x580H.jpg

Scan-120601-0002x580H.jpg

Scan-120601-0003.jpg

Last edited:
In my neck-of-the-woods that's referred to as "Daveing" something. One minute in my hand...next, gone forever lol I've always had an uncanny knack for that.
I hear Ya. :)

Dave Thinkstoomuch said:
Here's my latest Schrade. This one is an I*XL English knife though. iirc the hallmark "0" means this is a 1980 knife. 30 years ago they were sure making some beautiful jigged bone handles for these knives. These stockmans are a hand-full of knife at 4" closed and frankly I think it's going to be carried in a sheath not my pocket because it's quite heavy.
Very nice Dave. I have thought about picking one of those up just to see the quality. I've heard they are really good. That, plus the bragging rights of owning one. :cool:
Dave Thinkstoomuch said:
Carried:cool:? What, what, WHAT? Yes, unlike most of my vintage safe queens this one is a perfect user because it's a XXed second.
You get extra points for actually carrying a Classic like that. Talk about bragging rights. :) I like to rotate some of my Schrade & Camillus knives as carry, and whip one out whenever the subject of conversation turns to older knives. I love to see the look on their faces, and the ensuing WOW. ;)
I also like to drag out my Schrade 165 (yes, I can lay my hands on it when I need to, just been too lazy to photograph it. :( ) when talking to the "Tacticool" crowd while mentioning that I would put it up against my ESEE 6 any day. Don't get me wrong, I love my ESEE knives, but I enjoy the look on those youngsters faces when they start realizing that we old duffs had our own versions of very capable knives. :rolleyes:
-Bruce

The "I*XL" Schrades were made by Camillus (except for the Jumbo Stockman, 4 7/8") and then shipped to England for hafting, then sent back to Schrade for selling.
The Jumbo Stockman i think was made by "Wostenholm". I use quoation marks because Wostenholm was sold some decades ago to some big company and is no longer the same as it historically was. (true for all the famous Sheffield brands).
The 'Jumbo' Stockman is a copy of a very old Wostenholm pattern, of which i have one example.
These 1980 'Jumbos' aren't popular so i've picked up a few of them, NIB, for under $30. I think they originally sold for around $100.
I've carried and used one of them. Really excellent powerful outdoor user knife.
roland

The "I*XL" Schrades were made by Camillus (except for the Jumbo Stockman, 4 7/8") and then shipped to England for hafting, then sent back to Schrade for selling.
The Jumbo Stockman i think was made by "Wostenholm". I use quoation marks because Wostenholm was sold some decades ago to some big company and is no longer the same as it historically was. (true for all the famous Sheffield brands).
The 'Jumbo' Stockman is a copy of a very old Wostenholm pattern, of which i have one example.
These 1980 'Jumbos' aren't popular so i've picked up a few of them, NIB, for under $30. I think they originally sold for around $100.
I've carried and used one of them. Really excellent powerful outdoor user knife.
roland
+1
DSCN0987.jpg

The Jumbo Stockman i think was made by "Wostenholm".roland

Well Roland, I appreciate your input and you are correct because that seems to be the widely accepted belief but I think the waters are still muddy around this one and I posted my concerns on the "Question about Schrade and Wostenholm connection" thread here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/513331-Question-about-Schrade-and-Wostenholm-connection?p=10922789#post10922789

It is more appropriate to continue this discussion in that thread but I think the bone stockman and stag canoe could have been Schrade or Wostenholm skeletons and the very earliest lockbacks may still have been 100% Sheffield products as well. Lets continue this discussion in the thread I linked to and posted on.

Cheers! (and en garde lol)

Last edited:
Dave, i was stating what Phil Gibbs had posted. He was in charge of production at Camillus. (or some other very senior position, for ~ 30 yrs.)
roland

Dave, i was stating what Phil Gibbs had posted. He was in charge of production at Camillus. (or some other very senior position, for ~ 30 yrs.)
roland

Here's what Phil Gibbs said:

"Regarding the IXL Schrade knives, the lock backs were made at Camillus, sent as skeletons to Sheffield where they were hallmarked on the bolsters, the handles were added, & the knives were finished. I believe it was a set of 5 knives, 2 Camillus, 2 Schrade & 1 Wostenholm."

What I think that actually might mean I discuss in detail in the "Question about Schrade and Wostenholm connection" thread here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/513331-Question-about-Schrade-and-Wostenholm-connection
Check it out...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back