When are big knives the BEST tool for the job?

A big knife just makes me smile!!! A big knife makes most everything better, except for when I try to justify it to my wife!!!

"When are big knives the BEST tool for the job?"

Whenever you need to cut something. Just needed to add that.

All the jobs except offing the hog would be done more, longer, and with less fatigue with a machete. Literally a third the weight, more suited to every task at hand (except pig sticking, batonning isnt a knife chore anyway.) and far cheaper for when you roll your canoe in a rapids and have to replace it.

Meat work? Yea, I like stuffing a huge metal wedge into a carcass and pretending it's efficient (lolwhut?). But if I had to do it regular, I'd want something much thinner. Like a machete.

When are big knives the right too for the job?

When that's all you brought.

Carry that forsaken mistress on a survey job. You'll be ready to throw it over the hill by the second traverse. Same for any 'chopper'. You ain't choppin brush all day with it, ever. Maybe clear a lane to pin a bambi and feel tough while you do it, but again... Your walk in would have been much better with less metal banging on your hip as you hike.

This is coming from someone who likes to carry dumb shit on hikes like hk91s in sniper dress or SPAS 12s in pairs when I camp. So listen to my words.. ignore my example.
Lol

Back