When did a question become chatting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did ask Dann. His reply to me was that no questions can be asked in a sale thread.

That would be a complete surprise to all members of BFC, and is not supported by any interpration of the rules AFAIK. As was pointed out in this thread, sellers are allowed to respond to question, so asking them must also be OK.

And from that sticky you just linked:

"Also, please don't post in a thread unless it is DIRECTLY germane to the sale or purchase of the item in the thread."

A question to elicit information about an item is DIRECTLY germane to the sale.

So, once again I ask: Why exactly did ADD receive an infraction? Are we or are we not allowed to ask germane questions in a sale thread?

I did ask Dann. His reply to me was that no questions can be asked in a sale thread.

That would be a complete surprise to all members of BFC, and is not supported by any interpration of the rules AFAIK. As was pointed out in this thread, sellers are allowed to respond to question, so asking them must also be OK.

"Also, please don't post in a thread unless it is DIRECTLY germane to the sale or purchase of the item in the thread."

So, once again I ask: Why exactly did ADD receive an infraction? Are we or are we not allowed to ask germane questions in a sale thread?

Ask Dann why he issed the infraction. I don't know.

Read the sticky that I linked. If you post in a For sale thread and it is a relevant question, and not a comment or a statement, you will NOT receive an infraction from me.

Beyond that, you need to contact Dann directly, by either PM or email, or even post here, and ask him directly.

It is a case of two different moderators noting two different problems in two different forums. Post count has nothing to do with it.

My intent was not to imply that senior forum members get, or got preferential treatment.
I thought that it may have been a case of the newer guy got a warning and a follow up message to point out his error, while the senior guy got an infraction including the comment "again" as he had repeated his offense after a warning.

Chuck

Read the sticky that I linked. If you post in a For sale thread and it is a relevant question, and not a comment or a statement, you will NOT receive an infraction from me.

Beyond that, you need to contact Dann directly, by either PM or email, or even post here, and ask him directly.

I'm not sure how to respond here, as you quoted my post, but it would appear you didn't read it carefully.

For the third time, I have already asked Dann in a PM why he gave ADD an infraction. His answer was that asking questions in a sale thread is not permitted. I started this thread to explore that idea, because there appears to be no support for that position in any rule we can read.

You say that you would not give out an infraction for a relevant question. Sounds right to me. If I ask a question in a sale thread tomorrow, do I risk getting an infraction from another moderator? Can we not expect consistent treatment from all the moderators?

You tell me to ask Dann directly, in PM or in this thread. I have done both. Dann has not yet explained his rationale in this thread.

If ADD's infraction was not warranted, then it needs to be expunged from his record, lest some mod in the future see the ding on his permanent record and think he was a repeat offender.

Some may ask why I pursue this, since it was not my problem. But it could have been. I ask questions, relevant ones, in sale threads frequently. Is that permitted or not? A simple question that has yet to be answered. We all are happy to follow the house rules, when they are clearly defined, and fairly and consistently applied.

I'm not sure how to respond here, as you quoted my post, but it would appear you didn't read it carefully.

For the third time, I have already asked Dann in a PM why he gave ADD an infraction. His answer was that asking questions in a sale thread is not permitted. I started this thread to explore that idea, because there appears to be no support for that position in any rule we can read.

You say that you would not give out an infraction for a relevant question. Sounds right to me. If I ask a question in a sale thread tomorrow, do I risk getting an infraction from another moderator? Can we not expect consistent treatment from all the moderators?

You tell me to ask Dann directly, in PM or in this thread. I have done both. Dann has not yet explained his rationale in this thread.

If ADD's infraction was not warranted, then it needs to be expunged from his record, lest some mod in the future see the ding on his permanent record and think he was a repeat offender.

Some may ask why I pursue this, since it was not my problem. But it could have been. I ask questions, relevant ones, in sale threads frequently. Is that permitted or not? A simple question that has yet to be answered. We all are happy to follow the house rules, when they are clearly defined, and fairly and consistently applied.

No, you're the one who isn't reading carefully. You aren't paying attention to the answers you're getting.

You even end up answering the real question: " I ask questions, relevant ones, in sale threads frequently. Is that permitted or not? " Well, obviously it is permitted, since you've been allowed to do it.

What about ADD? Did he go to Service & Support or to Dann by email or PM and ask for a reversal? That is up to ADD, Dann, and Spark. Not us, not here.

You ask: "Can we not expect consistent treatment from all the moderators?" You can expect consistent treatment in consistent cases. We've already pointed out the ambiguity in this instance.

Did you read the example of really strict rules that Spark posted? Would you prefer to operate under them? Keep on insisting ...

No, you're the one who isn't reading carefully. You aren't paying attention to the answers you're getting.

You even end up answering the real question: " I ask questions, relevant ones, in sale threads frequently. Is that permitted or not? " Well, obviously it is permitted, since you've been allowed to do it.

What about ADD? Did he go to Service & Support or to Dann by email or PM and ask for a reversal? That is up to ADD, Dann, and Spark. Not us, not here.

You ask: "Can we not expect consistent treatment from all the moderators?" You can expect consistent treatment in consistent cases. We've already pointed out the ambiguity in this instance.

Did you read the example of really strict rules that Spark posted? Would you prefer to operate under them? Keep on insisting ...

Well said, Ed. :thumbup:

Read the rules. I've read the rules. Maybe you & I interpet the rules differently.

All this and the original question still has not been answered.
Who made the scales and sheath?

Read the rules. I've read the rules. Maybe you & I interpet the rules differently.

Perhaps so. My interpretation was the ADD's question was directly germane to the sale thread, as the answer may well determine if he buys the knife or not. That he added a polite comment did not reduce the germaneness ;) of the question.

What is your interpretation?

For the third time, I have already asked Dann in a PM why he gave ADD an infraction. His answer was that asking questions in a sale thread is not permitted.

If I ask a question in a sale thread tomorrow, do I risk getting an infraction from another moderator?

" I ask questions, relevant ones, in sale threads frequently. Is that permitted or not? " Well, obviously it is permitted, since you've been allowed to do it.

We've already pointed out the ambiguity in this instance.

I am still confused. Questions are not permitted means questions are not permitted. There isn't much ambiguity there. No mention of extraneous comments, no relevance of the question, no intent to buy. No questions can be asked in a sale thread. Bam. So, is that the case?

Guy,

I think you are off base on this. That post was chatting disguised as a question:

Perhaps if you do not mind, who did the handle and sheath on this one?

The opening clause implies it was not an inquiry that might lead to a sales decision.

I don't understand questions at all in sales threads. I much prefer to send a PM/Email. The only thing that irks me is when people list an item for sale and then disable emails in their profile. :mad: Can we get something done about that?

Another thing, it's a 1 point infraction. Aren't there better things to whine about?

Here is is again.

'Gee, that sure is a nice knife!' is NOT a relevant question. it is an irrelevant statement, and it is NOT ALLOWED!

"What is the handle material, and is the pivot adjustable? IS A RELEVANT question, and it is allowed.

Now, as for what Dann was thinking when he issued the infraction, I DO NOT KNOW! I do not have an ethernet, or a USB cable hooked up to him so I can read his brain from 150 miles away. Dann needs to answer that question, and if he chooses not to, then I cannot help you.

Please. Stop beating this dead horse, and go ask some relevant questions in a few for sale threads.

Guy,

I think you are off base on this. That post was chatting disguised as a question:

Originally Posted by ADD
"Perhaps if you do not mind, who did the handle and sheath on this one?"

The opening clause implies it was not an inquiry that might lead to a sales decision.

Well, ADD would disagree with you...

Please, you do not know my intent. :mad:

Who ever did the mods has a direct impact on my interest the knife.
Do I know the name?
What is his rep?

The question was sincere, and depending on the answer, effected any further interest in pursuing a purchase.

I am still confused. Questions are not permitted means questions are not permitted. There isn't much ambiguity there. No mention of extraneous comments, no relevance of the question, no intent to buy. No questions can be asked in a sale thread. Bam. So, is that the case?

Thank you. At least one person understands my point.

Here is is again.

'Gee, that sure is a nice knife!' is NOT a relevant question. it is an irrelevant statement, and it is NOT ALLOWED!

"What is the handle material, and is the pivot adjustable? IS A RELEVANT question, and it is allowed.

Now, as for what Dann was thinking when he issued the infraction, I DO NOT KNOW! I do not have an ethernet, or a USB cable hooked up to him so I can read his brain from 150 miles away. Dann needs to answer that question, and if he chooses not to, then I cannot help you.

Please. Stop beating this dead horse, and go ask some relevant questions in a few for sale threads.

According to Dann, that it not permitted. I still don't understand why.

But, as you say, if Dann chooses not to explain himself, then I guess we're done here.

It's just a singular incident under any circumstances, one that is murky and gray. If we keep dissecting it and focusing on the legalese, and then try to force a 'ruling' or en masse judgment call, then we'll only end up forcing more restrictions on ourselves within the for sale area.

As has been said, I find 'zero tolerance' policies to be pure evil. I'd hate for that to become the case in any part of BF. I like this place and don't want to come here feeling like I'm walkin' the line.

Can we call this one murky and realize that obviosly relevant questions have been allowed and will continue to be? That this one was a case of ambiguity of intent by the poster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back