When to reject a traditional styled knife on cosmetic defects

Here's my question, I recently purchased a NIP traditionally styled but modern manufacture lock back knife. Price was $65 normaly it's around $90. It's not a "second".

fit and finish defects (IMO) are:

- lanyard tube not set square.
- Scales to not fit against bolsters tightly (gaps)
- both vertical and horizontal blade play
- Blade and spring juncture when open do not fit precisly
- Interior edges of scales, liners left "sharp"

Since the normal price for this is in the upper end for traditionally styled production pocket knives, on one hand I would expect it to be better then it is. On the other hand I'm used to spydercos and sebenzas and perhaps my expectations are too high for this type of knife.

Comments?

I'd send that one back, no matter how good a deal you got on it pricewise, you have the right to expect it to be done right.

IMHO, the knife you describe was not.

Let me see if I can re phrase this. I'm Happy with it.

I'm just curious if you think a $100 knife should be free of cosmetic defects? Or if it's OK, to what extent is it OK?

I think that a 100 dollar knife should be free of defects, cosmetic or otherwise. I feel that if there are visible defects, there may be invisble defects in workmanship.

brownshoe

I support this site with my MIND
Blade play is unacceptable. I don't care what spyderco says about their lockbacks, other brands don't have any blade play at all.

If the gaps between scales and bolsters are minor (e.g. can barely fit paper in), OK, but if they are big enough to get dirt in em (e.g. 1mm or more), that is also unacceptable.

Not sure what was wrong with blade and spring. If they are not flush on the top, this is not uncommon (e.g. blade about 1 mm lower than spring). The butt ends of the tang and spring should meet squarely.

A little bit of sharpness on liners is not uncommon. It should only take a few passess with 1500 grit paper to smooth it out.

OK, I misread your post somewhat.

I'll agree with brownshoe though, on a $100.00 knife bladeplay is unacceptable to me.

What brownshoe said.

I only accept blade play on cheap knives that I can easily fix myself. Either the "Throw it in a vise" or "Hit it with a hammer" solution.

Leo